Licence Category A restricted & taking an advanced test

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving. IAM, RoSPA/RoADA, High Performance Course. All associated training. Motorcycle training.

Postby ton class » Sun May 04, 2008 8:11 pm

I have been asked by someone who is still within their two year restriction period on a category A whether they can take an advanced test. They are looking for some training culminating in the RoADAR advanced motorcycle test. I don't want to give them bad advice as they will be spending some money on this.

My take is that as long as their motorcycle can reach & sustain the NSL it should be ok. Can anyone, including examiners, offer any advice?

Also can anyone tell me what I would expect to see on a licence for a category A which is still within its two year restriction period. Is it designated by an information code?
ton class

Postby James » Sun May 04, 2008 8:54 pm

I cant see any reason why they cant take the test on any bike, the IAM or ROADAR don't stipulate what car you drive - its the application that counts not the speed or restrictions...
James

Postby PeteG » Sun May 04, 2008 10:50 pm

James wrote:I cant see any reason why they cant take the test on any bike, the IAM or ROADAR don't stipulate what car you drive - its the application that counts not the speed or restrictions...

IIRC, it has to be capable of national speed limits, and that's the only restriction, apart from the obvious roadworthiness etc.
"There's always another day, and I would rather miss a few than get one badly wrong." - TripleS, on overtaking.
PeteG

Postby OILY PAWS » Sun May 04, 2008 11:11 pm

OILY PAWS

Postby christopherwk » Thu May 15, 2008 9:09 pm

There's no reason, why you can't take the advanced test on restricted bike? The bike will be restricted to 33bhp, which is easily good enough for the national speed limit anyway (and there are those who do their test on bikes less powerful bikes anyway i.e. 250cc - producing about 20bhp - still capable of NSL).

I did my IAM training for the first few months when my bike was restricted anyway (the Honda CBF600S I still got now), but by the time I did my test, the two years had already surpassed.

By the way on the licence, beside the category A, under "codes" will have "=<25KW" - which is the equivalent of 33bhp. Once the two years is up, there's no need to change the licence, because you'll be able to see from the "from" date when the category was added to your licence (i.e.when you passed the restricted test).
christopherwk

Return to Advanced Motorcycling Forum