Pedestrians in road

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving. IAM, RoSPA/RoADA, High Performance Course. All associated training. Motorcycle training.

Postby Rolo » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:09 pm

Firstly, this is my first post so 'hello'. I'm an experienced car driver but have recently got interested in bikes and am soon to take my test. This has made me think carefully about situations that I might not otherwise give much consideration to, such as the following.
I was on my pushbike as it happened but I don't think it would make any difference to the situation. I'd just left a mini roundabout on a road in the town centre (small market town - not very busy). There were cars behind me and as I left the roundabout some pedestrians were crossing the road ahead. They were still on the other side of the road, just reaching the centre as I was approaching them. It was clear that they intended to wait in the hatched area in the middle of the road for myself and the couple of cars behind me to pass. My question is...if this occurred on my test - should I have stopped to let them continue across the road? (I appreciate that you should not wave them across in such situations)
Regards
Rolo
Rolo

Postby ScoobyChris » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:13 pm

I guess the answer is "it depends". You mentioned a hatched area in the centre of the road (like a traffic island?) which presumably divides the road in two. If they were safely in there and you'd made eye contact, etc I'd be happy to continue past them as they are expecting to cross after you.

However, if there was stationary traffic ahead of me that I would just be driving up to queue behind, I might consider stopping early to let the pedestrians across. Unfortunately on the test you are not allowed to signal that you are slowing to allow them to cross so you would have to sit there and hope that they interpreted you being stationary correctly and that approaching traffic also didn't think you were parked or broken down.

All in all, probably safer just to let them cross after you've passed :D

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby verty » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:43 am

If not stopping shows a lack of planning then certainly stop or you'll perhaps get a minor. If you can satisfy the examiner that you anticipated the pedestrians behaviour and decided not to stop for a valid reason then it should be okay.

I think the driver usually makes the decision exactly at that point where he/she would need to slow down if wanting to stop, which is already too late.
verty

Postby TripleS » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:43 pm

If they were merely crossing the road other than at a pedestrian crossing of some kind, and were clearly preparing to wait until you and other traffic had cleared the area, I think I would have continued.

To mind it should be satisfactory to show that you are aware of their position and behaviour, and are prepared to stop in case of need.

If they had been part way over a proper crossing point, that would have been a different matter.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Jeffem » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:27 pm

Hi,

I think ScoobyChris makes an important point, ‘It depends’.

Road conditions, time of day, activity of the immediate surroundings, etc,etc… As Chris says you may well be an enlightened road user but there is no guarantee that your actions in slowing down to allow them to cross would be understood or interpreted by the pedestrians correctly. Not to mention what the traffic following you would interpret from your actions. In an attempt to demonstrate your consideration you may put yourself into danger with any following vehicle.

I would suggest appropriate road positioning, reduced speed and attempt eye contact but don’t stop. Especially if you’ve got a vehicle immediately up your chuff! You then demonstrate vision, restraint and courtesy without putting yourself at risk.
Jeffem

Postby 7db » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:01 am

Make a decision fast about who is going first. And in good time to act, react and to change your mind if you are wrong.

Got speed on? Good progress to be made? Horn and wait for them to stop and pass ahead? Clearly seen you? No chance of conflict?

Doubt? Not sure if they're coming anyway? Looking a bit close? Obviously slowing early on to encourage them across? Are you going to have to stop anyway?

Make it safe. And make it really really obvious really early what your choice is. See if they cooperate, and then react to their cooperation or otherwise, then decide final course of action.
7db

Postby robinsamuels » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:02 pm

Watch their body language and put youself in their shoes.

You know how you react if you are crossing a road in 2 parts, if this is how they're doing it, then you should be ok. If they aren't looking your way or don't seem to be slowing down, then discretion is the better part of valour.
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. USMC sniper course, as quoted during most driving lessons!

http://www.robinsdriving.co.uk
robinsamuels

Postby badfelafel » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:24 pm

There is a further danger, especially on a bike, which my advanced instructor warned me about - the danger to the pedestrians. Once you let them cross, it's quite possible that they'll cross on your say so and not double check for other vehicles trying to pass your (stationary) self. By letting them cross, you could be putting them into danger. So if you have any doubt about other traffic not stopping, make it clear that you're not stopping either (but always be ready to be able to stop in the distance if you need to!)
badfelafel

Postby SammyTheSnake » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:30 pm

I had a similar situation when I was learning to ride a motorbike, I was coming up to a T junction (heading up the stem of the T) with traffic lights and integrated pedestrian crossing. I had a green light, but I could see a jogger coming up to the pedestrian island having crossed the oncoming lane and slowing to pause to wait for me.

In this situation, I decided that slowing (I'd seen him in plenty of time) to allow him to cross eliminated ambiguity, at least if he was already across (or at least crossing) I didn't have to take the risk that he might not have actually been slowing for me, may not have seen me, may be wearing an ipod or the like and may have decided to cross just as I gained a new mascot for the front of the bike...

He waved a hand in thanks and crossed in plenty of time that I didn't need to take further action.

My instructor said "that was your fault, that was" and I said "fault?"

From my point of view, I was already going to have to slow for the junction (right angle bends at high speed aren't much fun) so doing so about 10 yards earlier wasn't a hardship for me.

:shrug:

Every situation is different, of course...

Cheers & God bless
Sam "SammyTheSnake" Penny
DSA A 2003/08/01 - first go
Zach 2003-2006 - 1995 Diversion 600
DSA B 2007/03/05 - second go
Ninny 2007-2008 - Focus TDDI
Unnamed 2008- Mk3 1.4 Golf
http://www.sampenny.co.uk/
SammyTheSnake

Return to Advanced Motorcycling Forum