Newbie - close to edge

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving. IAM, RoSPA/RoADA, High Performance Course. All associated training. Motorcycle training.

Postby Gareth » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:45 pm

Jeffem wrote:this happened during my annual check ride with a Senior Observer so the implication is that I should know better.

To my mind the reason for the critical comment is clear. While (in my view) there is no problem with a slight overhang as long as the wheels don't cross the line and as long as it is safe, there is also the question of the impression it may give to less experienced road users.

From your own description, the overtakee was not very experienced, and seeing you passing may have given them the idea that it was acceptable to ride in that manner. While (in my mind) it is acceptable for an experienced rider to do it, I think it may be a lot more risky is an inexperienced rider tried to follow your example of riding position without the skill, observation and judgement to ensure it was carried out in safety.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Jeffem » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:34 pm

Hi Gareth,

I hear what you’re saying and think your point is well made. We must always consider how our actions will be perceived by other road users and more specifically less experienced riders/Associates.

I think your concern about the appropriateness of the overtake, may be due in part, to my inadequate skills in writing a sentence that describes to scenario correctly. The way in which the road widened immediately after existing the corner, combined with the hesitancy of the overtakee, combined with the vision available… made the overtake easy but not as reckless as it sounded.

My decision to put the maximum distance between myself and the overtakee was an attempt to reduce any surprise/shock on his part. In doing so I stumbled into a situation that raises opinions that still appears by no means clear cut…yet.

Cheers.
Jeffem

Previous

Return to Advanced Motorcycling Forum