"Do you normally ride in the middle of the road?"

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving. IAM, RoSPA/RoADA, High Performance Course. All associated training. Motorcycle training.

Postby Rabiedmushroom » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:12 pm

When I was riding with S.A.M., I was taught that when positioned towards the centre of the road for visibility you need to be prepared to move towards the nearside of the carriageway to give a bit of 'road space' not only to oncoming traffic, but also if someone wants to overtake you.

In your scenario above, it sounds that whatever your good intentions were, they confused the other motorist. Unfortunately a group of bikes often gets the hackles up of other motorists, a case of them experiencing a few nutters spoiling it for many sensible riders... :(
Suzy
Rabiedmushroom

Postby Horse » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:52 pm

7db wrote:
Cie wrote: Tell me, do you ride?

Lord - no. Not enough wheels on those things.

Probably enough for it to be a motorcycle. But that's not what you meant ;)
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby jbsportstech » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:33 pm

Rabiedmushroom wrote:When I was riding with S.A.M., I was taught that when positioned towards the centre of the road for visibility you need to be prepared to move towards the nearside of the carriageway to give a bit of 'road space' not only to oncoming traffic, but also if someone wants to overtake you.

In your scenario above, it sounds that whatever your good intentions were, they confused the other motorist. Unfortunately a group of bikes often gets the hackles up of other motorists, a case of them experiencing a few nutters spoiling it for many sensible riders... :(

S.A.M do you my somerset advanced motorcylist? Didn't know you where a biker :D

Missed you at the training session yesterday?
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby wheelnut » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:29 pm

Horse wrote:Even then, a mate used to stay 'proud' in L1 of motorways as he founf that moving left just encouraged passing drivers to cut in sooner!

First post :wink:

Also urban areas, if you're too far left you can 'encourage' oncoming drivers to overtake parked cars, thus invading your bubble.

If you want to make room for them on your terms then fair enough, but it's easy to get squeezed out of the way whether you want to or not. A slightly more dominant road position at that point will help discourage them if you feel there's not enough room, leaving you with somewhere to go should you need to.
wheelnut

Postby Vince » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:14 pm

Master of your road space it's been explained to me as.

With your road postion you can control somewhat others decisions, but don't rely on it.

Personaly, normal riding position with no hazzards I need to get farthest away from or road debri I ride just to the right of center on my lane (3.5?). However, in real life that's pretty rare unless your a fan of straight Roman roads.
Vince

Previous

Return to Advanced Motorcycling Forum