Anyone on here involved with Cheddar Valley Bike IAM Group

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving. IAM, RoSPA/RoADA, High Performance Course. All associated training. Motorcycle training.

Postby jbsportstech » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:06 pm

Witness some interesting riding yesterday (01/03) by a chap wearing a high viz top with your details on and OBSERVER. Just wondered if anyone new why he was riding round taunton aimlesly with advertising IAM and his group?

it was a x reg bmw rs100-1200
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby Horse » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:31 pm

Not guilty :)

(Not IAM, or CV, wrong bike, and wasn't there, and don't wear hi-viz yellow).

But how 'interesting'?
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby jbsportstech » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:50 pm

Well I am not a qualified motobike rider and far from an advanced rider but.....

He must of spent sometime riding around the area on his own which on a sunday afternoon which is fair enough. I do have rospa badge on my car/s but the are tax disc sized and certainly not easy to see when someone is driving near my or behind me. His high viz jacket is very 'viz-able' and with a high viz OBSERVER sign I thought it disapointing that he would ride as he did with his groups name displayed in this way if he wanted to do that as he was not riding with anyone else both times I saw him. Over a period of about 45 minutes between sightings.

1st spotted him in my rear view as he closed up tight behind me on 50mph dual track going 50mph. Thought he was certainly under 2 seconds from my tail and he undertook me!

2nd I ended up behind him and only then did I read his high viz. I then stayed behind him keeping well back and he proceeded to 40mph in a 30mph leisure way which is where are group meet. It was necessarliy dangerous but I stick to 30mph on that road because children do appear. He then turned onto blackbrook way a 30mph and his head was taking in the sight as he closed on a car turning into the sports centre and his braking was late and it appeared to be a lack for forward vision and planning. Followed him in traffic light where we waited and then he took off to bridgewater road which is a 30mph and also alot of people get caught speeding here and his pulled away from me and his speed reached 50-60mph going past parked vehicles on the nearside and closed up on a slower moving vehicle and broke late with little or no planning.

Onto the 50mph dualtrack where he again opened up it to 70mph fair enough he then slowed into lane one in where I was in two s as I needed to turn off right and then at the last minute he gave what I call a reflex indication and came accross in front of me casuing me to brake and he decided to turn off where I was.

Just was disapointing that this guy could be giving people the impression that this group ride in this way and well as the IAM are involved and teh breaches of speed limits with hiz advertising. The fact that he has observer is worrying as if he teaches riding like that!?! Hopefully he is one a few involved in advanced riding but chooses to ride like a muppet even though they no better,.and teach so! He must of been bored
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby zadocbrown » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:44 pm

jbsportstech wrote:Well I am not a qualified motobike rider and far from an advanced rider but.....

He must of spent sometime riding around the area on his own which on a sunday afternoon which is fair enough. I do have rospa badge on my car/s but the are tax disc sized and certainly not easy to see when someone is driving near my or behind me. His high viz jacket is very 'viz-able' and with a high viz OBSERVER sign I thought it disapointing that he would ride as he did with his groups name displayed in this way if he wanted to do that as he was not riding with anyone else both times I saw him. Over a period of about 45 minutes between sightings.

1st spotted him in my rear view as he closed up tight behind me on 50mph dual track going 50mph. Thought he was certainly under 2 seconds from my tail and he undertook me!

2nd I ended up behind him and only then did I read his high viz. I then stayed behind him keeping well back and he proceeded to 40mph in a 30mph leisure way which is where are group meet. It was necessarliy dangerous but I stick to 30mph on that road because children do appear. He then turned onto blackbrook way a 30mph and his head was taking in the sight as he closed on a car turning into the sports centre and his braking was late and it appeared to be a lack for forward vision and planning. Followed him in traffic light where we waited and then he took off to bridgewater road which is a 30mph and also alot of people get caught speeding here and his pulled away from me and his speed reached 50-60mph going past parked vehicles on the nearside and closed up on a slower moving vehicle and broke late with little or no planning.

Onto the 50mph dualtrack where he again opened up it to 70mph fair enough he then slowed into lane one in where I was in two s as I needed to turn off right and then at the last minute he gave what I call a reflex indication and came accross in front of me casuing me to brake and he decided to turn off where I was.

Just was disapointing that this guy could be giving people the impression that this group ride in this way and well as the IAM are involved and teh breaches of speed limits with hiz advertising. The fact that he has observer is worrying as if he teaches riding like that!?! Hopefully he is one a few involved in advanced riding but chooses to ride like a muppet even though they no better,.and teach so! He must of been bored

I'm sure your local force could do with someone like you............ Keeping up with fleeing motorcycles while never exceeding the speed limit yourself............... very impressive........
zadocbrown

Postby jbsportstech » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:56 pm

Ha ha

I didn't say I maintained speed with him all the time. Its not so much the speed it was the manor of riding with his high viz advertisement.
Regards James

jbsportstech

Postby Red Herring » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:55 pm

No doubt after this comprehensive debrief he will be only to pleased to come forward... :shock:
Red Herring

Postby firstmk1 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:06 pm

You seem to have a highly critical view of almost everyone else on the road (with the exceptions of Mr Albright and the Stressed one).
some bloke called Matthew wrote:first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.
Ian
firstmk1

Postby jbsportstech » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:50 pm

On the contray I have great respect for stressed one but don't agree with his driving style ncessarily.

I am indeed critical and I am far from the cream of road drivers but I do strive to improve constantly gove driving my best and I displine myself to behave in a manor befitting a member of the advanced driving community and I show restraint and self displine when faced with red ringed speed limits instead of form of advanced arrogance. I am also enjoy the clubs such as IAM, ROSPA and HPC and when idiots with high viz advertisements claiming to be advanced and affilated with organisations such as the IAM behaving in a unacceptable manor I will pass judgment. Whether I am qualified to do so or not. I know that the RPU member of are group thought I was spot on and so did nigel.
Regards James

jbsportstech

Postby Red Herring » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:15 pm

Personally James I find I can benefit from watching other drivers without feeling the need to share my thoughts with everybody else. Clearly on occasion there will be examples where some discussion may provide an alternative view point, especially if it is something you are not so sure about, and if that is the case you sometimes find you get a far more balanced and informed response if you provide the circumstances and some reasoned logic behind your viewpoint, rather than a complete slagging off.......backed up with nothing more than a "well so and so class one ex Met says so and he must be right".
Red Herring

Postby jbsportstech » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:19 pm

I may be a bit over critical at times but how would of described that ride differently, the icing on the cake was flex indication and the course turn into my path causing me to to reduced speed.... Dam I have done it again :D
Regards James

jbsportstech

Postby Red Herring » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:48 pm

I can't speak for others but what jaded me slightly was that your posts were basically a list of all the things this rider did wrong coupled with some assumptions on your part as to why he did them. I couldn't really see what you were trying to achieve other than to demonstrate to the rest of us that your driving was better than his, although by your own admission you failed to anticipate his position change. I just didn't see anything constructive in your posts, and I think the golden rule when it comes to delivering criticism is that it should be constructive.
Red Herring

Postby jbsportstech » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:59 pm

Red Herring wrote:I can't speak for others but what jaded me slightly was that your posts were basically a list of all the things this rider did wrong coupled with some assumptions on your part as to why he did them. I couldn't really see what you were trying to achieve other than to demonstrate to the rest of us that your driving was better than his, although by your own admission you failed to anticipate his position change. I just didn't see anything constructive in your posts, and I think the golden rule when it comes to delivering criticism is that it should be constructive.

Fair point it was comprehensive strip torn off next time I won't bother as people like this advanced biker have their heads so far up their own arses how I they suppose to observe and plan and restrian themselves in built up areas their chairman has is a man of few words 'the matter has been delt with' is their official response.

I know by my own addmission I failed to predict that someone who had moved from lane 2 to 1 20 seconds ago would want to return to lane 2 when they are not approaching any clusters of vehicles or any other hazards for that matter on that basis how do you ever overtake any vehicle ever.
Regards James

jbsportstech

Postby Red Herring » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:19 pm

jbsportstech wrote:
Fair point it was comprehensive strip torn off next time I won't bother as people like this advanced biker have their heads so far up their own arses how I they suppose to observe and plan and restrian themselves in built up areas their chairman has is a man of few words 'the matter has been delt with' is their official response.

I know by my own addmission I failed to predict that someone who had moved from lane 2 to 1 20 seconds ago would want to return to lane 2 when they are not approaching any clusters of vehicles or any other hazards for that matter on that basis how do you ever overtake any vehicle ever.

This is what I mean about assumptions. Just how many advanced riders have you met?

With regards to the lane change I would have thought the junction on the right might be a bit of a clue. I seem to remember something in the Highway Code about avoiding overtakes on the approach to junctions, not exactly Advanced territory that one.
Red Herring

Postby jbsportstech » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:55 pm

Red Herring wrote:
jbsportstech wrote:

This is what I mean about assumptions. Just how many advanced riders have you met?

With regards to the lane change I would have thought the junction on the right might be a bit of a clue. I seem to remember something in the Highway Code about avoiding overtakes on the approach to junctions, not exactly Advanced territory that one.

To clarify I wasn't on a overtake and was 3-4 seconds behind him I was staying in lane 2 with my right hand indicator on because there is a decelartion lane and turning on the right this allows you to head to glastonbury as he did, or in fact head back the way you have come which I did, I had seen enough.
Regards James

jbsportstech

Postby Horse » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:18 am

Red Herring wrote:
jbsportstech wrote: I know by my own addmission I failed to predict that someone who had moved from lane 2 to 1 20 seconds ago would want to return to lane 2

Forgetting 'advanced', if the rider's actions caused another driver to brake , then isn't that a DSA 'L' test fail?

And WRT overtaking, aren't you assuming that JBS was intending to overtake at the junction? I know that I'll occasionally match the speed of a vehicle in lane 1, then accelerate past as we both clear the junction. The 'matching' being an active thing - if the other vehicle slows, so will I.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Next

Return to Advanced Motorcycling Forum