Why does the IAM not have a re-test and grading system

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving. IAM, RoSPA/RoADA, High Performance Course. All associated training. Motorcycle training.

Postby MikeA » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:59 pm

re Red Herring's commment (Mar 9th):

"Regular riding with other members of any IAM group generally provide all of this (review and feedback etc) as well."

is not necessarily true.

While you can compare yourself against/ to other riders, feedback is often only provided if it is requested pre the ride (unless it is a gross stupidity you peformed).

To receive feedback when it has NOT been requested can be demoralising, unless the offerror is VERY tactfull.

For car drivers, the oportunities are less.
MikeA

Postby Porker » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:15 pm

MikeA wrote:To receive feedback when it has NOT been requested can be demoralising, unless the offerror is VERY tactfull.

Feedback can be both positive and negative.

In addition, one can choose to ignore it. However, I believe all feedback should be at least considered even if you're initially mistrustful of the source. Sometimes, some extraordinarily insightful nuggets are contained therein.

regards
P.
Porker

Postby ROG » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:42 am

In my experience, I have found that advanced riders/drivers are open to opinions and critisism on their riding/driving at any time or place.
Quite the opposite if referring to the general non AD rider/driver
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Previous

Return to Advanced Motorcycling Forum