Why does the IAM not have a re-test and grading system

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving. IAM, RoSPA/RoADA, High Performance Course. All associated training. Motorcycle training.

Postby Ian » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:35 pm

Why does the IAM not have
A) A re-test every three years for its members?
B) Why is there no grading system like ROSPA?
I have just had my pre-run for the IAM and I am hoping to take my test very soon. If I pass, I just wondered what level of ROSPA pass this would be?
I just wondered that’s all.
I am an Optician by trade and I have to do compulsory continuing education, CET.
You might have people who have been a member of the IAM for 20 years and their driving might not be worth a carrot?
Ian

Postby vonhosen » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:23 pm

They're bigger the RoADA, so perhaps they couldn't manage to re-test the entire memberships, instead preferring to use their examiners for getting new blood in.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby jbsportstech » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:45 pm

I asked the same question in terms of advanced car side and someone stated that it put alot of people of rospa being retested and wa one reason why they are alot smaller and the lose some members.

In my mind if they don't want to keep their maintain their standard up let alone improve then I they might as well just join a motoring club/ make or model specific if they just want to enjoy their car or bike.

I am not a biker but I know the IAM car test is generally speaking is a bronze/silver.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby ScoobyChris » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:58 pm

Ian wrote:I have just had my pre-run for the IAM and I am hoping to take my test very soon. If I pass, I just wondered what level of ROSPA pass this would be?

From speaking to a few people who are involved in both, the general feeling seems to be that a bronze RoSPA candidate wouldn't pass the IAM exam and that they would need to be at least a reasonable silver. Whether there's any truth in that, I have no idea! :D

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby ROG » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:19 pm

There is no reason in my group that the observers cannot do a 3 year check drive for members :wink:
Whether that could be done across all the groups - I don't know
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby vonhosen » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:21 pm

ROG wrote:There is no reason in my group that the observers cannot do a 3 year check drive for members :wink:
Whether that could be done across all the groups - I don't know

Isn't it examiners that do the testing, rather than observers ?
vonhosen

Postby Gareth » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:22 pm

Ian wrote:A) A re-test every three years for its members?

Possible reasons might be that they think it will put off people from attempting to become advanced riders, and/or they feel it is a better use of resources to concentrate on introducing people to advanced riding rather than to put effort into developing a group of people that can demonstrate riding to an advanced standard a number of times over an extended period.
Ian wrote:B) Why is there no grading system like ROSPA?

It strongly suggests the first reason mentioned above.
Ian wrote:I just wondered what level of ROSPA pass this would be?

Impossible to say. On the car side, comparisons between the two organisations with regard to test standards have been discussed many many times, here and elsewhere, and you really need the opinion of a person who examines for both organisations to get a reasonably accurate idea about this. One person who examines (driving) for both and is a member of this forum has said that a RoADAR Silver is about equivalent to an IAM pass. Of course marking by examiners will vary slightly so, (I think), if you said that an IAM pass is at least equivalent to a high RoADAR Bronze or a low RoADAR Silver, you'd be somewhere in the ball-park.
Ian wrote:You might have people who have been a member of the IAM for 20 years and their driving might not be worth a carrot?

Just as you could have long term RoADAR members who don't ride particularly well between their retests. These tests are only a way for the candidates to measure their progress in advanced riding, and has recently been commented upon in another thread relating to driving, it is the standard of the every-day riding that is important.
Last edited by Gareth on Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Gareth » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:24 pm

vonhosen wrote:
ROG wrote:There is no reason in my group that the observers cannot do a 3 year check drive for members :wink:

Isn't it examiners that do the testing, rather than observers ?

I think ROG is suggesting a way in which IAM members could get the benefit of regular testing without putting an extra load on the small group of examiners. Most groups have senior observers who, amongst other things, conduct check tests to decide whether a candidate is ready for the proper test, so there is a ready group of people who have a rough idea about the standard needed.
Gareth

Postby kfae8959 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:46 am

I drove last summer for the chief IAM examiner for my region, and he told me that he just didn't have enough examiners to operate a re-test system. My own view is that this is a significant advantage of RoADAR over the IAM, but, as others have pointed out, continued support of members varies from group to group, and ability to pass a test, no matter how frequently, is no guarantee of daily driving standard.
"A man's life in these parts often depends on a mere scrap of information"
kfae8959

Postby ROG » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:10 am

vonhosen wrote:Isn't it examiners that do the testing, rather than observers ?

Gareth wrote:I think ROG is suggesting a way in which IAM members could get the benefit of regular testing without putting an extra load on the small group of examiners. Most groups have senior observers who, amongst other things, conduct check tests to decide whether a candidate is ready for the proper test, so there is a ready group of people who have a rough idea about the standard needed.

Exactly that Gareth :)

It would be 'nice' if a retest by an examiner was done but as most observers and senior observers are aware of when an associate is test ready then I see no reason why they cannot do an assessment and hopefully say to the asociate - "You are still test ready" :D

How many observers advise associates to put in for their test when the associate is not 'test ready' :?: - very few I'll bet.........
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby vonhosen » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:19 am

ROG wrote:

vonhosen wrote:Isn't it examiners that do the testing, rather than observers ?

Gareth wrote:I think ROG is suggesting a way in which IAM members could get the benefit of regular testing without putting an extra load on the small group of examiners. Most groups have senior observers who, amongst other things, conduct check tests to decide whether a candidate is ready for the proper test, so there is a ready group of people who have a rough idea about the standard needed.

Exactly that Gareth :)

It would be 'nice' if a retest by an examiner was done but as most observers and senior observers are aware of when an associate is test ready then I see no reason why they cannot do an assessment and hopefully say to the asociate - "You are still test ready" :D

How many observers advise associates to put in for their test when the associate is not 'test ready' :?: - very few I'll bet.........

Why do you have separate examiners & testers if there's no discernible difference then ?
vonhosen

Postby Gareth » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:48 am

vonhosen wrote:Why do you have separate examiners & testers if there's no discernible difference then ?

I'm sure you're joshing us here ;-)

To answer your question, though, I think it's that the examiners carry more authority and are seen as better able to enforce a fairly uniform standard.
Gareth

Postby Red Herring » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:49 am

Not to also mention the cost and administration issues with going through the IAM. The IAM HQ system simply would not be able to cope with having to arrange and carry out re-tests on every member every ten years, let alone three. Local groups however have a wealth of experience amongst their qualified and senior observers and many groups already arrange check rides with members on demand. You also have to appreciate that an active group member is also regularly riding with their peers and should they make a mistake, or allow their standards to drop, then there is a tendency for them to find out about it fairly promptly!

The biggest issue seems to be with those that take their test, become a member of the IAM, and then disappear of the radar apart from renewing their membership each year, or perhaps worse still, don't bother to renew yet still advertise themselves as "Advanced" riders without keeping up their standards. The bottom line is that this is a voluntary process and those that choose to maintain their standards will, regardless of wether they have to have a regular retest as per ROSPA, an "assessment" through an IAM group, or even an awakening on an ADUK driving day (not sure there are enough bikers on here to make a "riding day", now there's a thought). It is their motivation that matters.
Red Herring

Postby Ian » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:09 pm

I agree with all the above points. But a grading system would be nice. Just hope I pass.
Ian

Postby jbsportstech » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:18 pm

Ian wrote:I agree with all the above points. But a grading system would be nice. Just hope I pass.

If you want it why not join rospa thats what I did.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Next

Return to Advanced Motorcycling Forum