New motorbike test going well then...

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving. IAM, RoSPA/RoADA, High Performance Course. All associated training. Motorcycle training.

Postby jont » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:58 am

or maybe not....

Seems a little stupid to have the same requirements for speed regardless of the weather. What sort of message is that giving out?
jont

Postby Gareth » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:30 am

jont wrote:Seems a little stupid to have the same requirements for speed regardless of the weather. What sort of message is that giving out?

On the other hand, is it at all unrealistic of what most motorcyclists might ordinarily do in the course of their riding? After all, it's only 31 mph, and I have rarely seen a motorbike going this slowly in the rain ...
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby jbsportstech » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:35 am

Yes if they where trying to prepare the rider for the type of riding I see everyday he should be doing it at about 91mph left of centre line as thats how most of the bikers I see in the south west ride progress being the overiding factor.

He is infact in the lower crash catergory as here we have a problem with 16-24. Concerningly though 35-44 are most likelly to be involved in a collision. So in the cases of bikers age does not necessarliy bring wisdom.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby wheelnut » Fri May 01, 2009 10:20 am

jbsportstech wrote:He is infact in the lower crash catergory as here we have a problem with 16-24. Concerningly though 35-44 are most likelly to be involved in a collision. So in the cases of bikers age does not necessarliy bring wisdom.

Not strictly true. You're more likely to be involved in a collision on a PTW if you're aged 16-20. Fatality's and serious injuries however are more common in the higher age range.

The lower age range are more likely to have some sort of ROWV, either fault or no fault, but they are less likely to be seriously injured.

The more mature biker, who can afford the more powerful bike and the insurance is much more likely to involved in an SVA or an overtake gone wrong. The effects of this kind of accident are normally more serious. Incidently, the vast majority of SVAs involve sportsbikes and relatively inexperienced riders.
wheelnut

Postby jbsportstech » Fri May 01, 2009 11:32 am

wheelnut wrote:
jbsportstech wrote:He is infact in the lower crash catergory as here we have a problem with 16-24. Concerningly though 35-44 are most likelly to be involved in a collision. So in the cases of bikers age does not necessarliy bring wisdom.

Not strictly true. You're more likely to be involved in a collision on a PTW if you're aged 16-20.

Wheelnut to clairfy I was talking about the county of somerset.Not england or the uk as whole. Thanks
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby wheelnut » Fri May 01, 2009 12:06 pm

jbsportstech wrote:Wheelnut to clairfy I was talking about the county of somerset.Not england or the uk as whole. Thanks

Interesting that Somerset doesn't follow the pattern of the rest of the country.

What sort of evidence have you got to show that?
wheelnut

Postby jbsportstech » Fri May 01, 2009 2:33 pm

It may be the quiet country B-Roads we have here that can be very empty so some are tempted to carry speed and then they meet say a tractor emerging and it all goes wrong.
Regards James

jbsportstech

Postby wheelnut » Fri May 01, 2009 3:36 pm

It doesn't say

jbsportstech wrote:Concerningly though 35-44 are most likelly to be involved in a collision. So in the cases of bikers age does not necessarliy bring wisdom.

though does it?

It says

Riders of larger capacity powered two wheelers shows those aged 30 - 44 years, are the most vulnerable to being involved in collision

Which backs up what's happening in the rest of the country, that we are (bikers that is, not you) our own worst enemy. The younger age bracket are still most likely to have some sort of accident but the results of that accident are often less significant.
wheelnut

Postby jbsportstech » Fri May 01, 2009 3:45 pm

Hi wheelnut,

My apologies if I mis read it I also have a leaflet at home from them was some data on it.

If its the case that 30-44 of high power machines are having the serious crashes then I would suggest limiting them to lower power stuff until they have proved themselves on a lessor machine. As it stands I could now take direct access next week having never owned a motorbike (Have a little experience of them but no much) and jump a 1300cc machine capable of 200mph and possibly ride to my death. Which is unsound in my mind the only difference is I am not in the 30 to 44 bracket or the 16-24 I sit just out of that. Although I have what I consider is a good mindset to my own safety on the road my inexperience of such a machine could prove dangerous.

something similar with cars as well for under 25's would seem an idea also.
Regards James

jbsportstech

Postby wheelnut » Fri May 01, 2009 4:05 pm

That's the ethos behind direct access - you have to be over 21 and pass your test on a bike over 45bhp.

If you choose to pass your test on 125 then you have to wait two years before you can get a bike with more than 33bhp. Not a perfect scenario but better than it used to be.

oh, and any standard road bike will only do 200mph when you're down the pub with your mates! :wink:
wheelnut

Postby jbsportstech » Fri May 01, 2009 4:15 pm

wheelnut wrote:That's the ethos behind direct access - you have to be over 21 and pass your test on a bike over 45bhp.

Yea it has some sense to it by why when riders aged 21+ to 24 are just as likely to crash as 16-21 is the limit at 21. Would make sense to me for it to be 25. Indeed I always thought thst my car insurance would drop at 21 but I was told that your still consider high risk till 25 and I did get a drop my first age drop last year.

wheelnut wrote:
If you choose to pass your test on 125 then you have to wait two years before you can get a bike with more than 33bhp. Not a perfect scenario but better than it used to be.

oh, and any standard road bike will only do 200mph when you're down the pub with your mates! :wink:

Yea I bet! :D my bike knowledge is patchy but its it the GSXR 1300 Hiyabusher thingy the fastest production bike.
Regards James

jbsportstech

Postby wheelnut » Fri May 01, 2009 4:52 pm

jbsportstech wrote:Yea I bet! :D my bike knowledge is patchy but its it the GSXR 1300 Hiyabusher thingy the fastest production bike.

The Hayabusa will do 186 flat out. But funnily enough it's not in straight lines that most bikers get into problems - it's going round corners and overtaking, and most medium powered bikes have enough power for riders to get themselves into trouble doing that.
wheelnut

Postby Horse » Fri May 01, 2009 7:19 pm

wheelnut wrote:
jbsportstech wrote:Yea I bet! :D my bike knowledge is patchy but its it the GSXR 1300 Hiyabusher thingy the fastest production bike.

The Hayabusa will do 186 flat out. But funnily enough it's not in straight lines that most bikers get into problems - it's going round corners

Correction: not going around corners ;)
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby wheelnut » Fri May 01, 2009 7:39 pm

True.

Hiya Malc. :wink:
wheelnut

Postby trkkshotbry » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:40 pm

Wheelnut;

The Suzuki Hayabusa is limited to 186mph by a gentlemans agreement between the big 3 japanese bike mfgrs but the agreement didn't happen until the late 1990s. Almost any japanese liter bike willgo faster than 186mph without the 6th gear rev limiter. For a little over $100 US one can purchase a little yellow box that plugs into the ECU and fools the computer into thinking the bike is in 5th gear all the time. This serves 2 purposes actually. It de-restricts top speed and it also cancels out the tourque limiting spark advance used in the first 3 gears to unleash the full potential of this amazing motorcycle. The top speed restriction is there to comply with the agreement and the tourque reduction is there by request of the lawyers (my opinion) seeking to limit liability for putting such a ferocious machine within reach of the untrained masses.

With the little yellow box installed the busa will power wheelie away in 1st or 2nd gear without "clutching it up" or "throttle jacking" and will hit about 205 on a long straight stretch. Without the yellow box my bike hit the limiter so hard I thought Id broke it. The 205 mph claim is GPS certified on my bike but to be completely honest I had a tailwind and a very slight downhill towards the end of the run.
Mans laws only apply to those who cannot afford to break them. The laws of physics are inviolate.
trkkshotbry

Next

Return to Advanced Motorcycling Forum