Snow and ice

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving. IAM, RoSPA/RoADA, High Performance Course. All associated training. Motorcycle training.

Postby philb328 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:48 pm

I'm a non-biker considering taking up riding for commuting.

In a car, snow and ice doesn't really cause much problem (I'm thinking of NE England, so there's not that much snow really, but icy mornings are common enough). How feasible is riding in those conditions?

Thanks,
Phil.
philb328

Postby zadocbrown » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:29 pm

Phil.......... IT'S JUNE !!! :shock:

Climate change notwithstanding, I don't think you should have too many problems at the moment! :P
zadocbrown

Postby philb328 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:52 pm

zadocbrown wrote:Phil.......... IT'S JUNE !!! :shock:

:D But alas, summer will only be with us for so long, and the job goes on round the year. Anyway, if I'm going to take up riding, I'd start learning while it's nice out. :)
philb328

Postby Red Herring » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:50 am

It very much depends on what type of roads you are going to have to ride on, and the type of bike you are going to be riding. Most riders can manage to get out of the average housing estate on the early morning frost/ice and then once on the main roads that have been salted ride as per normal slippery roads. If you live somewhere remote, or your commute involves back roads that are not normally treated, then it's much harder. Big heavy bikes are always going to be tricky on ice, small light weight ones, especially Enduro models etc can actually be quite a bit of fun, especially in fresh snow. The biggest single factor is knowledge and confidence in what you are doing. You have to be on the look out for ice, you have to know what to do if you find some, and you must be prepared to accept the consequences of learning. I ride all year round, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone unless you are seriously into your motorcycling.
Red Herring

Postby nutter » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:49 am

I did it last year on a CBR 125 through snow and ice. As long as you remember that if you make sudden control inputs your going to come off, and thanks to the ice, not stop until you hit something, you should be fine. You just need to take it super easy and (excuse the pun) and chill out. Whatever will be will be, but it's a fantastic way to find out how to cope with oil in the summer :)
If it moves when it's not supposed too, use gaffer tape

If it dosen't when it should, use WD-40
nutter

Postby tubbylardo » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:01 pm

Fun though - especially the visor misting, runny nose and numb face.....
IAM Car test pass - 12/2001 - no longer a member
RoSPA Car test pass- 2003, 2006 & 2009 - no longer a member
Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi / HONDA VFR800Fi-Y
tubbylardo

Postby Smiling Assassin » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:56 pm

tubbylardo wrote:Fun though - especially the visor misting, runny nose and numb face.....

Personal experience recently then?
Phil
Group Observer East Kent Advanced Motorcyclists (EKAM)
Smiling Assassin

Postby tubbylardo » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:14 pm

IAM Car test pass - 12/2001 - no longer a member
RoSPA Car test pass- 2003, 2006 & 2009 - no longer a member
Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi / HONDA VFR800Fi-Y
tubbylardo

Return to Advanced Motorcycling Forum