Fatality

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving. IAM, RoSPA/RoADA, High Performance Course. All associated training. Motorcycle training.

Postby daz6215 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:40 pm

daz6215

Postby Red Herring » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:34 pm

Yup, every now and then someone falls off a motorcycle and dies. Of course, an awful lot of people also manage to ride their motorcycles safely and go in to be valuable members of society. On the other hand a huge number of people die every day as a result of sucking a small white roll that they set fire to. Now what's the point of that?
Red Herring

Postby Custom24 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:26 pm

Check your blind spots before moving. Thanks Porker for reminding me of the importance on our drive out.
Custom24

Postby ScoobyChris » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:09 pm

Red Herring wrote:Of course, an awful lot of people also manage to ride their motorcycles safely and go in to be valuable members of society.

I saw three big bikes on the M3 on Saturday who were riding at a fair old lick in reasonably heavy traffic, but who seemed to be doing so considerately and safely. Then their "mate" in a 911 turbo appeared and started trying to keep up with them by carving through the traffic as well, using all 3 lanes, tailgating and swerving in and out of non-existant gaps. Guess who people had the beef with :lol:

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby martine » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:19 am

Of course it's very sad anyone should lose their life...this type of video should be publicised (with the relatives permission) and used on bike training courses - it show how quickly things can go wrong. In fact showing this type of video to all learners (car and bike) at a compulsory classroon session might really get people thinking about risk.

Watching the video I thought the camera biker seemed to be fairly good in as much as he was obviously responding to slip lanes and the possibility of merging traffic etc. Going past traffic at 160 was asking for trouble though.

In the final scene did I detect the camera biker backing off before the colision by his mate - perhaps he wasn't happy with an overtake just there...perhaps he saw the car 'hiding' behind the other?

How much blaim can be attached to the car driver? With high closing speeds really good and effective mirror checks/blind checks are essential but being honest, I wonder if I would have picked the bikers up early enough?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby MAG man » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:09 pm

Why was the car driver moving over to the right? He didn't have opportunity to overtake because of the oncoming camper van and his visibility was ok. If he was overtaking, he got it horribly wrong and never checked it was safe to do so.

I have seen situations where cars deliberately try to "block" an overtaking motorcycle, especially filtering in slow moving traffic.
MAG man

Postby Gareth » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:04 pm

MAG man wrote:Why was the car driver moving over to the right?

I think it's because he intended overtaking.

MAG man wrote:He didn't have opportunity to overtake because of the oncoming camper van

I think he did have the opportunity - the road is certainly wide enough for three abreast, evidenced by the authorities attempts to make the lanes seem narrower, although it's not something I would do since it required both the overtaken and the on-coming traffic to keep left. Certainly a vehicle on a blue lights run would have no trouble going through that space.

MAG man wrote:If he was overtaking, he got it horribly wrong and never checked it was safe to do so.

I wonder how quickly a bike appears in the mirrors when it is approaching at close to 90 mph? Is it right to automatically blame the driver without also considering the responsibility of the rider?

There is evidence of the judgment of the green rider as undertakes his friend off the roundabout - notice his gap from car on the left at that point.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby zadocbrown » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:45 pm

What I don't understand is why people decide to film themselves doing these things. Why would you want to be in possession of almost incontrovertable evidence of of yourself doing 150 on a road? Rather seals your fate if anything goes wrong.
zadocbrown

Postby Red Herring » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:45 am

Generally if things go wrong at those kind of speeds having video footage of it is the least of your worries....besides it will never happen to me will it.
Red Herring

Return to Advanced Motorcycling Forum