Theory test questions?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving. IAM, RoSPA/RoADA, High Performance Course. All associated training. Motorcycle training.

Postby jont » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:13 pm

Not sure if this should be in Learners, or in here as it's a bike specific question. Mods - feel free to move as appropriate.

I'm currently contemplating trying to get my bike license. AIUI, this would mean passing the theory test for starters. I've got a copy of the bikers theory test book from 2003, but there are a couple of questions that puzzle me.

q3.11) (mark one answer)
Which of the following fairings would give you the best weather protection?
a)handlebar
b)Sports
c)Touring
d)Windscreen.
Answer: (c) Touring.
Okay, other than the C1, I guess no bike has a windscreen as such, but if they did, wouldn't it give better protection than a fairing? Hmmmm.... I suppose this is one of those "learn the answer" questions.

The next one I think is more an ignorance of bikes problem, but
q 3.39) (mark one answer)
Refitting which of the following will disturb your wheel alignment?
a) Front wheel
b) front brakes
c) rear brakes
d) rear wheel
answer: d) Rear wheel.
Okay, so I get that changing the rear wheel could alter your wheel alignment, but why doesn't changing the front wheel also disturb it?

That's it for now - I'm sure I'll find more as I keep reading the book. And yes, if I actually get round to starting training, I'll keep you all updated.

thanks,

Jon
jont

Postby martine » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:43 pm

jont wrote:The next one I think is more an ignorance of bikes problem, but
q 3.39) (mark one answer)
Refitting which of the following will disturb your wheel alignment?
a) Front wheel
b) front brakes
c) rear brakes
d) rear wheel
answer: d) Rear wheel.
Okay, so I get that changing the rear wheel could alter your wheel alignment, but why doesn't changing the front wheel also disturb it?

Hi Jon and good to see you're expanding your driving/riding horizons!

Not sure about your first question but for the wheel alignment one you need to bear in mind bikes that have chain drive have a way of adjusting the position of the rear wheel (forward/backwards to take up the wear). On some this means you can adjust the rear wheel so it's misaligned - like traking being out on a car. The front wheel of course pivots and refitting it means it's clamped in one place on the forks - there's no adjustment.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby nutter » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:54 am

On the first one the reason it's touring is touring includes a higher than normal windscreen with wide sides to give the lower parts of the body a bit of protection, just look at something like a big beemer or pan compared with a fireblade
nutter

Return to Advanced Motorcycling Forum