Passed my IAM bike test today! Horray

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving. IAM, RoSPA/RoADA, High Performance Course. All associated training. Motorcycle training.

Postby jlo31 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:50 pm

Hi All,

Just completed my Skills for life observed rides and had my advanced test today.

Pleased to report I passed with 20 1's (Excellent) and 5 2's (Good) and 0 3's 4's or 5' (Satisfactory, poor, unsatisfactory)

Examiners remarks

'A well planned smooth ride with good progress that was always safe. Vey well done'

I am pretty happy with that. Would highly recomend the course.

Best wishes

Jlo31
16/05/09 RoSPA Silver (Car)
09/10/09 IAM (Bike)
DSA ADI (Car)
jlo31

Postby martine » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:09 pm

Well done...very good 'score' and comments.

I'm sure your car advanced pass helped and your training to be an ADI. Do you find it tricky to change 'modes' (Advanced Car, Advanced Bike, ADI)?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby jlo31 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:54 am

Thank you.

Yes training to do my Part 2 was a big help. I took my RoSPA directly after my part 2 training having just read road craft, watched commentry DVDs etc. I don't find a huge difference to be honest bewteen IPSGA and MSPSL routine (Mirror, signal (or consider signal), Position, Speed and Look) so not really had much problem switching between them.

When positioning on a bike around a left hand bend a you know you position just to left of centre white line for max visibility IF ITS SAFE TO DO SO. My examiner was very hot and gets frustrated with bikers trying to stay right out for max vision but not moving back in when they see car approaching.

The essential skill for driving says a left hand band one should position to the centre of your lane and the reason is to avoid conflict if the car, lorry or Rossi look alike who has his head over your side of the road and knee down is comming the other way cutting the corner.

If you do position to left of centre as you could do with Roadcraft the early vis give you plenty of time to see an oncomming and position away from the hazard safetly. There is a little more flexibility with RoadCraft which I like.

I really enjoyed it. Once I have qualified as an ADi and will join my local Rospa car group and get some help to try and get that 'Gold' grade.

Best wishes

Jlo31
16/05/09 RoSPA Silver (Car)
09/10/09 IAM (Bike)
DSA ADI (Car)
jlo31

Return to Advanced Motorcycling Forum