Snow riding tips

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving. IAM, RoSPA/RoADA, High Performance Course. All associated training. Motorcycle training.

Postby Cie » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:50 pm

As I left home at 07:30 this morning, perched on top of my KTM 990; with 2 inches of fresh snow on the road I obviously had a lot going on in my head.

The two main factors that convinced me to ride in those conditions were:

1. The KTM is a big trail bike with knobbly tyres that will give me grip in snow.
2. As an advanced rider I should already have the awareness to deal with this type of weather.
...and also, shouldn't we all be exploring our abilities and vehicles capabilities (where safe and appropriate to do so)?

Anyway, I've been thinking all day about the lessons learned during that ride, and I'll share them here in a follow-up, but I wonder if any others have tips for riding in snow?
Cie

Postby TripleS » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:33 pm

Cie wrote:As I left home at 07:30 this morning, perched on top of my KTM 990; with 2 inches of fresh snow on the road I obviously had a lot going on in my head.

The two main factors that convinced me to ride in those conditions were:

1. The KTM is a big trail bike with knobbly tyres that will give me grip in snow.
2. As an advanced rider I should already have the awareness to deal with this type of weather.
...and also, shouldn't we all be exploring our abilities and vehicles capabilities (where safe and appropriate to do so)?

Anyway, I've been thinking all day about the lessons learned during that ride, and I'll share them here in a follow-up, but I wonder if any others have tips for riding in snow?

I think you're entirely right about 'exploring' etc., and I've certainly been doing that in the interesting 8) driving conditions we've had recently. In my case it's four wheel transport, but I fully accept that experience on two wheels concentrates the mind rather better. I shall be interested to read your follow-up.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Cie » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:20 pm

These are just some of my thoughts about snow riding:

Allow more time for pre-ride checks.
    Vision is everything, if you can't see, you can't plan.
    All surface hazards (holes, cats eyes, white paint, manhole covers) should not be ridden on, they all have potential to unseat the rider; through their makeup or their ability to hold snow/ice.
    If a hazard is unavoidable it must be ridden over with the bike vertical; which can mean a quick change of course, often pointing at the side of the road if only for a split second.
    Only ride on compacted snow at low speed (1st gear) and never use your front brake in this situation.
    At slow speed, ride in undisturbed snow where possible, it offers more grip.
    On roads where the tarmac is showing through, ride on the tarmac, this will be the warmest part of the road, with less chance of ice.
    Do not ride through mounds of snow (however small and of any colour) that have been left anywhere on the road surface.
    Ride all bends/turns upright (without leaning).
    Use the "4 second rule" to gauge the distance between you and the driver in front.
    Consider regular stops to check for snow accumulations that could affect the bike.
    If you feel cold, do something to warm up as the cold will slow your reactions (and lead to hypothermia).
    Have no planned time to arrive at your destination, you arrive when you arrive; reducing the stress to use excessive speed.
    Consider your appearance to other road users, and how best you can make yourself seen; possibly tapping the back brake as vehicles approach from behind.

As a trail bike rider I have a number of advantages:
    "Crash bars" protect the bike when dropped, so it can be ridden again should you have an off.
    Off road tyres have more grip in snow than road tyres.
    I can wear motocross goggles with my helmet, which are superb when my visor mists up.
Cie

Return to Advanced Motorcycling Forum