Hello everyone! Diamond Special MC Test Advice?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving. IAM, RoSPA/RoADA, High Performance Course. All associated training. Motorcycle training.

Postby LEARN2RIDE » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:37 am

Hi everyone,

I have a quick question about the Diamond Special MC Test. Has anyone done it and how does it compare say to the IAM and the RoSPA MC tests?

Thanks, Dave
Last edited by LEARN2RIDE on Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LEARN2RIDE

Postby ROG » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:49 am

LEARN2RIDE wrote:Hi everyone,

I have a quick question about the Diamond Special MC Test. Has anyone done it and how does it compare say to the IAM and the RoSPA MC tests?

Thanks, Dave

I am not a motorcyclist but the DIAmond test is based on a DSA style whereas the IAM & ROSPA styles are based on Roadcraft
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby LEARN2RIDE » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:58 am

did the iam and rospa tests at gold level so i'd be happier doing a roadcraft type of ride. am i right in thinking that, since it's a dsa style test (and this isn't meant as a criticism) that it is 'dumbed down' in some respects? I.E: exaggerated lifesavers/ osm/psl/signalling even when there is no other traffic to benefit etc and doing things by rote as opposed to 'thinking riding')?

could someone who has passed both tests give me a description of any differences please? thanks
LEARN2RIDE

Postby Horse » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:00 pm

LEARN2RIDE wrote:did the iam and rospa tests at gold level so i'd be happier doing a roadcraft type of ride. am i right in thinking that, since it's a dsa style test (and this isn't meant as a criticism) that it is 'dumbed down' in some respects? I.E: exaggerated lifesavers/ osm/psl/signalling even when there is no other traffic to benefit etc and doing things by rote as opposed to 'thinking riding')?

could someone who has passed both tests give me a description of any differences please? thanks

Can't help with test details - can only suggest you contact a DIAmond bike instructor & examiner directly.

However - and given your log-in name on here - I'm intrigued that you feel DSA require "exaggerated lifesavers/ osm/psl/signalling even when there is no other traffic to benefit etc and doing things by rote as opposed to 'thinking riding'"; what leads you to that view, as it contradicts what I've heard from othe DAS instructors.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby LEARN2RIDE » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:36 pm

"as it contradicts what I've heard from othe DAS instructors."

no DAS in N.I. just standard restricted motorcycle test

was speaking to the Diamond examiner for Eire and he said listed various differences between the roadcraft and diamond test- one of them being the fact that you would indicate on r/bs, changing lanes etc. even when there is no traffic around.

whereas, advanced tests such as iam and rospa, would lean more towards taking, using and -more specifically- giving info if it were to benefit other traffic/ road users- therefore, if there is no traffic around the rider is not thinking about the plan at that particular point, but doing things by rote when giving said signals

anyway, IMHO, the standard test is just that- a standard test- and taking further training such as iam, rospa etc enhance the rider's skills. i am not going to be drawn into a Harry Hill type, 'i like the standard test but i also like advanced training,but which is better?' argument, i am just interested in the differences in the diamond and rospa/iam tests
LEARN2RIDE

Postby ROG » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:18 pm

LEARN2RIDE wrote:i am just interested in the differences in the diamond and rospa/iam tests

Imagine doing a DSA test but doing it much better = Diamond
Imagine using a different style and system to the DSA = Roadcraft (the police driving style)
ROG

Postby LEARN2RIDE » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:44 pm

fair enough, i'll do it and let you know how i get on here.

btw, is there any way of having this moved to the biking section? i only just noticed it, thanks
LEARN2RIDE

Postby jbsportstech » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:53 pm

I have been led to believe the DIAmond special test is just a pat on the back for adi's. Its like a cross between a driving test and adi part 2. Nothing advanced about the dsa system for driving in my mind. Its probably fit for purpose in terms of learners new to driving as for being advanced I have yet to be convinced Lord Cottenham did have the right idea back in the 30's with his system of car control.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby vonhosen » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:48 pm

jbsportstech wrote:I have been led to believe the DIAmond special test is just a pat on the back for adi's. Its like a cross between a driving test and adi part 2. Nothing advanced about the dsa system for driving in my mind. Its probably fit for purpose in terms of learners new to driving as for being advanced I have yet to be convinced Lord Cottenham did have the right idea back in the 30's with his system of car control.

The evidence strongly supports that it achieved it's objective.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby jbsportstech » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:03 pm

Yes sorry to clarify I am yet to be convinced that Lord Cottenham DIDN'T have the right idea back in the 1930's. Difficult to concentrate with poorly 2.5 year old winging in your ear.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby fungus » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:57 pm

jbsportstech wrote:Yes sorry to clarify I am yet to be convinced that Lord Cottenham DIDN'T have the right idea back in the 1930's. Difficult to concentrate with poorly 2.5 year old winging in your ear.

I have the same problem with a 27 year old wind bag, (my daughter), who never stops talking. :lol:
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby jbsportstech » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:36 am

Must be a daughter thing I an that age and I don't winge in my mothers ear anymore. More the other way round! ;)

if you look at someone like Chris Gilbert who has never held less than a grade 6 as adi an has passed about every driving test you can in this country. He to best of my knowledge has never takeN the diamond test. Despite being one of the top adi's in the country. He swears by roadcraft and is so humble for a man at the top of his game just claims to have alot of driving experince but no expert. He has driven under exemption at speeds exceeding 155mph and has never come unstuck. If a man of his background an experience thinks the system is good an rigid adherance to pull push, then it's good enough fo me.
Regards James

jbsportstech

Postby ScoobyChris » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:16 pm

jbsportstech wrote:If a man of his background an experience thinks the system is good an rigid adherance to pull push, then it's good enough fo me.

What about people with similarly large experience who believe the focus should be on the end result rather than dictating the tools that must be used to achieve them? :D

It was also interesting in one of Chris' talks to hear that he didn't believe in "separation" but that's a whole other can of worms.

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby jbsportstech » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:18 am

It certainly is chris ;)
Regards James

jbsportstech

Postby jbsportstech » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:23 am

It certainly is chris ;)
Regards James

jbsportstech

Next

Return to Advanced Motorcycling Forum