So whats your favourite biking road

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving. IAM, RoSPA/RoADA, High Performance Course. All associated training. Motorcycle training.

Postby fugly » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:32 pm

Now the sun is out what is peoples favourite biking roads, I have done the A339 south from Basingstoke to Alton a few times this year and it always puts a smile on my face.

So whats your favourite biking road?
IAM car observer (Thames Valley car group)
Trainee bike observer (TVAM)
Blood runner (SERV OBN)
fugly

Postby Horse » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:27 am

fugly wrote:Now the sun is out what is peoples favourite biking roads, I have done the A339 south from Basingstoke to Alton a few times this year and it always puts a smile on my face.

:) That's a road I particularly avoid!

Don't get me wrong, I've had many enjoyable rides along there - and a scare or two, but these days it's just too popular, too 'crash involved' IYSWIM, and too heavily policed.

Head up to Newbury, find the Wantage road, then go back towadrs Hungerford, but then near the M4 turn back to Newbury.

If you must go to Alton (bacon butties at the station caff?), go back to basingstoke via Alresford. Then turn down to Overton, and at the lights go North to Kingsclere & Newbury.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby fugly » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:25 pm

Horse wrote:
fugly wrote:Now the sun is out what is peoples favourite biking roads, I have done the A339 south from Basingstoke to Alton a few times this year and it always puts a smile on my face.

:) That's a road I particularly avoid!

Don't get me wrong, I've had many enjoyable rides along there - and a scare or two, but these days it's just too popular, too 'crash involved' IYSWIM, and too heavily policed.

Head up to Newbury, find the Wantage road, then go back towadrs Hungerford, but then near the M4 turn back to Newbury.

If you must go to Alton (bacon butties at the station caff?), go back to basingstoke via Alresford. Then turn down to Overton, and at the lights go North to Kingsclere & Newbury.

I know what you mean about being policed and a bit too congested. Is the Arlesford road you mention the same as the road that runs through Candovers, B3046 I think it is? My observer and I have been known to head down the B3046 have a cup of coffee at Loomies and a chat before heading back up the A339 and on to Maidenhead, its a good little route.

As for the Wantage road, I am heading over that way next month and will be checking it out.

There is a road that runs through Petersfield as well that is good but its a bit chopped up at the minute so not so good.

If heading Northwards there are a few roads around Beicester and Thame that are worth a run as well.
IAM car observer (Thames Valley car group)
Trainee bike observer (TVAM)
Blood runner (SERV OBN)
fugly

Postby tubbylardo » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:45 pm

Try the A9 in Scotland ... either way. There are some fantastic views and right at the top some nice hairpin bends.

The A82 and A85 are also both pretty good (if it's not wet).
IAM Car test pass - 12/2001 - no longer a member
RoSPA Car test pass- 2003, 2006 & 2009 - no longer a member
Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi / HONDA VFR800Fi-Y
tubbylardo

Return to Advanced Motorcycling Forum