A Home of our own?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving. IAM, RoSPA/RoADA, High Performance Course. All associated training. Motorcycle training.

Postby rlmr » Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:40 pm

Just a quick post to kick things off and say hi to the other 2-wheelers who frequent the parent Forum.

Personally I have been happy to read and contribute to the parent forum and I hope this will continue, but there are some aspects of Advanced Riding which do not really fit in so neatly with the 4-wheelers... There are very very few production cars which will hit the 62 mph (100 Km/hour) mark in 3 seconds or less, yet my touring BMW will. Yet we are so vulnerable and at the mercy of the other road users. So yes, there is a place for our own Forum.

Welcome to all. :D

Yours on 2, 4 and 16 wheels,

Rennie
Rennie Ritchie
Home Page

IAM Examiner for Cars, Bikes, Lorries and Buses since 1986
rlmr

Postby Dandu71 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:46 pm

Hi Rennie

Good to see you over here supporting the 2 wheelers. It`s the time of year again where he bikes are coming out the garage and being dusted off, yay! Unfortunately not for me as I sold my Bandit last November and don`t plan on having another motorbike in the forseeable future.

I do support all things on 2 wheels so where better place to do it.... :lol:

Daniel
LGV C+E
IAM Car
IAM Motorcycle
DIAmond Advanced
DIAmond Special
Dandu71

Postby BillZZR600 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:26 pm

How do Rennie, (Nice one Darren, thank you :D )
Imagine finding you in here. or me for that matter.

I'm allways looking for as much expert help and advice as I can get, as mostimes I need it. but does this mean I can't post (subversively) in the driving forums now ? :P

Seriously though I do at times in here and on other forums try to point up and explain to people why we do things. Things that the average, never mind advanced driver, may consider dangerous reckless or just "bl**dy biker". but it is good to have other people who understand these things allready, so that we can then share and expand our knowledge and experiences without starting from scratch.

Bill
Kawasaki ZZR600/Renault Laguna 1.8i
RoADAR Advanced Rider (Gold)
RoADAR Aproved (Motorcycle) Tutor
RoADAR Advanced Driver (Gold)
RoADAR Aproved (Car) Tutor
BillZZR600

Postby madmoggy » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:24 am

woohoo, our own little forum. Well done those that arranged/organised it - thanks.
Im just off for a quick spin on the trusty ZRX to see how much I have forgotten over the winter (yes, I'm a big soft fair weather biker who doesnt ride in winter)
I think this time of year any advocates of advanced riding should be making a push to attract new members, as a lot of people bring their bikes out after the big lay off, and ride as if they hadnt been off them, when in reality the skills etc get a bit rusty.
madmoggy

Postby Gareth » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:46 am

madmoggy wrote:I think this time of year any advocates of advanced riding should be making a push to attract new members, as a lot of people bring their bikes out after the big lay off, and ride as if they hadnt been off them, when in reality the skills etc get a bit rusty.

I understand that membership numbers of car drivers in the IAM is falling these days, but membership numbers of bike riders is rising significantly.

Edit: I am a car driver only
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby rlmr » Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:06 pm

Gareth wrote:I understand that membership numbers of car drivers in the IAM is falling these days, but membership numbers of bike riders is rising significantly.

Yep things still looking up on the IAM 2-wheeled front. 8)
I had three Senior Observer tests to conduct for Glasgow North on 16-April and will be leaving later this afternoon to head to Dumfries to conduct three Senior Observer tests tomorrow (30-April) for the Dumfries & Galloway Group.

National IAM Bike Conference at Wolverhampton on Saturday 06-May so should see most Group's representatives there.

Remember this is "our" forum so within reason we can have threads about anything bike related :) .
Rennie Ritchie
Home Page

rlmr

Postby BillZZR600 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:49 pm

Gareth wrote:
madmoggy wrote:I think this time of year any advocates of advanced riding should be making a push to attract new members, as a lot of people bring their bikes out after the big lay off, and ride as if they hadnt been off them, when in reality the skills etc get a bit rusty.

I understand that membership numbers of car drivers in the IAM is falling these days, but membership numbers of bike riders is rising significantly.

Edit: I am a car driver only

Membership of Two wheelers is also increasing substantially at RoADAR. I think that was one of the reasonings behind the name change to both reflect this and encourage it.

Our new group has had 4 enquieries over the last two weeks, but had only 1 from september last year till then.........spring is finally in the air.....could be a fairly busy summer.
Kawasaki ZZR600/Renault Laguna 1.8i
RoADAR Advanced Rider (Gold)
RoADAR Aproved (Motorcycle) Tutor
RoADAR Advanced Driver (Gold)
RoADAR Aproved (Car) Tutor
BillZZR600

Postby Darren » Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:43 pm

Would I be out of order in suggesting that new students are introduced to this site as a learning tool for advice. If they want to log on and ask questions thats great, we all get the benefit.

Nigel one of the car moderators is also using us as a home for help and guidance on his forthcoming young driver's scheme.
Darren

Postby madmoggy » Tue May 02, 2006 8:35 pm

Im glad to hear that more people are taking advantage of the various organisations out there. Having already seen some terrible riding last month, I hope that it becomes 'the new cool thing' rather than coloured engine bolts or helmet mohicans :)
madmoggy

Postby Prelude » Tue May 16, 2006 12:53 am

I was looking for info and prices for motorcycling lessons over the weekend. I had in mind 2/3 lessons at first but it looks as though the only option is the CBT which cost around £100 and I guess that is an upfront price ...
Prelude

Postby rlmr » Tue May 16, 2006 12:34 pm

Have a shop around. Many "schools" include bike use for lessons and test. Most include a wee buffer which allows them to offer a couple of hours refresher and use of the bike for a re-test should you get it wrong on the day.

Yes it is more expensive these days, but the training is generally good.

Also watch as w/o a qualified instructor accompanying you you can't get out on the road until you have your CBT certificate under your belt.... but its a long time since I did any Part 1 or CBT training for folk so check with someone who is current. I might be "switched on" to Advanced training and testing but I have forgotten so much about DSA as I have not done any for so long.

All the best with your research and training.
Rennie Ritchie
Home Page

rlmr

Postby Prelude » Wed May 17, 2006 12:23 am

Thanks RR. It was something I was considering once I'd finished my Roada training and quite an appealing thought too. I'll look into it more in the next couple of weeks; or maybe lessons in tapdancing could be my next 'hobby'!!

:)
Prelude

Postby rlmr » Wed May 17, 2006 8:13 am

Prelude wrote:It was something I was considering once I'd finished my RoADA training and quite an appealing thought too.

If you can manage it... go for it. I find that those who use 2 wheels (with and without engines) have a far better appreciation of road conditions and surface changes. In turn they are also more courteous to other road users. Then of course you want to try the truck... but it is expensive unless you know a friendly transport manager with a spare waggon, open insurance etc. :wink:

Rennie
Rennie Ritchie
Home Page

rlmr

Postby Prelude » Thu May 18, 2006 7:48 pm

I'd never really thought about 2 wheels before, but I think it's probably due to the dangers of motorcycling, but hey it should be safe learning shouldn't it. Are they trained on a track first or what? As for 8/10/14 wheels, well I'd thought about that years ago but cost put me off and that was the end of that idea. Piloting the Leviathon that is the Airbus A380 would be the icing on the cake, but then even if I had the money, I just wouldn't dare!!! :shock:

Now I wonder where I could find a friendly transport manager with a spare juggernaut?! :roll: 8)
Prelude

Postby Elliot Beattie » Thu May 25, 2006 12:17 am

Hi Rennie & All
I'm sure the concept is good but where are the topics to discuss?
I'll not raise moving brake tests again
SMIDSY avoidance?
Anybody seen Mike Waite's new DVD
What did you think of the overtakes?

My cuurent bike associate now sees techniques he can take backto improve his car driving skills so maybe M/C training is best value

Just back from a great EDAM Plockton weekend whre the weather was great and the Highland roads reminded me why M/C riding is so enjoyable

But do some IAM motorcyclists need refreshing?
I saw too many instances of ignoring what the IAM should have taught you

Elliot
Elliot Beattie

Next

Return to Advanced Motorcycling Forum