A Home of our own?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving. IAM, RoSPA/RoADA, High Performance Course. All associated training. Motorcycle training.

Postby rlmr » Tue May 30, 2006 8:27 pm

Elliot Beattie wrote:Hi Rennie & All
I'm sure the concept is good but where are the topics to discuss?
I'll not raise moving brake tests again
SMIDSY avoidance?
Anybody seen Mike Waite's new DVD
What did you think of the overtakes?

The topics will be wherever you want them to be :wink:
Elliot Beattie wrote:My current bike associate now sees techniques he can take back to improve his car driving skills so maybe M/C training is best value

Just back from a great EDAM Plockton weekend where the weather was great and the Highland roads reminded me why M/C riding is so enjoyable

But do some IAM motorcyclists need refreshing?
I saw too many instances of ignoring what the IAM should have taught you

Elliot

We all need to work on our standards... and helping others is a great way to keep the personal standards high :wink: .

BTW, sorry for the lack of input since 18th... just back from 2425 miles on the bike around Austria :D :D :D

Rennie
rlmr

Postby Elliot Beattie » Tue May 30, 2006 11:09 pm

Hi Rennie an All
Glad to hear Austria was good
I will find out in September
Just have to hope England don't win the World Cup!

so here's a question
How many observed rides do you think should be required to take an average associate up to IAM pass standard

How many observed rides should it take to get an average associate up to
Rospa gold or silver ( assuming that associate probably has done IAM prior to this)?
Regards
Elliot :D :D
Elliot Beattie

Postby rlmr » Wed May 31, 2006 8:10 am

Elliot Beattie wrote:How many observed rides do you think should be required to take an average associate up to IAM pass standard

An interesting question and one which has no real answer as it depends very much on...
  • The standard the associate is at in the first place
  • The amount of practise the associate puts in between "lessons"
  • How well the associate grasps the system and puts theory into practise
However from what I hear around the groups about 8 outings covers most folk.
Elliot Beattie wrote:How many observed rides should it take to get an average associate up to
RoSPA gold or silver ( assuming that associate probably has done IAM prior to this)?

You will not be surprised that my answer to this is exactly the same as the answer to the IAM associate :wink:

It all depends how eager the associate is to improve and how well the Observer works with the associate.

Remember the test is a snapshot of someone's riding over a 90 minute period and it does happen that RoADA Golds can "get it wrong" and fail their IAM test and vice versa. FYI I have tested a couple of folk for the standard IAM over the past 20 years who would have been "Gold" had it been a RoADA test.

Please remember that I have not conducted any RoADA tests since the early 90's so am personally out of touch with any current RoADA requirements. However as both organisations work to the same "bible" the standard one should be striving for should be the same. The difference is in the add-ons such as commentary, brake tests, starting drill, theory questions etc. The road riding should be the same standard.

Hope this helps.

Rennie
rlmr

Previous

Return to Advanced Motorcycling Forum