Routes to becoming advanced instructor?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving. IAM, RoSPA/RoADA, High Performance Course. All associated training. Motorcycle training.

Postby Zebedee » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:43 am

Hello!

What are the different routes to obtaining a professional instructor qualification in advanced riding? What are the differences between them?

How do you become a DIAmond bike instructor? It's DIAmond Special Test and DipDI in the car, but DipDI isn't focused on riding. Is there a DIAmond motorcycle instructor course?

How do the UK Advanced accredited Level 4 instructor course and RoSPA Diploma compare?

What other advanced instructor courses are there?
Zebedee

Postby Horse » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:59 am

At the moment, the only thing you need to do is choose how to advertise :) There is no legal requirement to be qualified.

However, taking things further, a lot depends on what you want to do.

DiaMond have their own bike examiner qualification course
RoSPA have the Diploma course
IAM test pass and 'observer' qualification might be a lnger-term but cheaper option, then use the skills to instruct
Basic/L skills are useful for trainees with poor basic skills

If you're looking to work very long-term, then the DSA's RPMT qual. will be needed. There are providers for this, budget for £1k + a week off work. The DSA may [should be?] able to point you at a full list (there may be more than one) of accredited training centres.

Advantage of RPMT is that DSA are - currently - funding serious amounts of advertising. However . . . whether that wil continue . . . ?

Alternatively, you could do it the 'ADI' way, by taking the theory, riding, and instructional ability tests via teh DSA.

UK Advanced used to run an instructor training course, don't know if that's still going.

For high speed skills, with a bit of work on transfering them on-road, the CSS L1 course might be worth attending.

Whereabouts are you, how much do you intend doing (full time, part time, 'hobby') and what is your current level of experience and training?

Edit: I'm guessing from your post that you're not currently involved in any training. In which case, join the DIA to get public liability / indemnity insurance when you do start training - whether or not you go down the DiaMond route.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Zebedee » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:22 am

Thanks Horse. I've a variety of civilian advanced qualifications, as well as various courses on dirt and track including CSS and i2i.

I realise you need no qualification to start, but I'd enjoy doing a course for my own personal development as much as the certification.

The DSA only lists two qualifying courses: UK Advanced's accredited course and Fast Trak. UK Advanced looks good, but has been unresponsive. Fast Trak takes 3 weeks, which I can't manage.

DIAmond's web site lists no appropriate training and it's unclear how motorcyclists become advanced instructors.

The whole thing is a confusing picture!
Zebedee

Postby Horse » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:09 pm

Do you need the RPMT for what you want to do?

If not, check whether your local 'tech.' college offers the C&G7300 for teaching adults.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Return to Advanced Motorcycling Forum