Northern Bike Riders

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving. IAM, RoSPA/RoADA, High Performance Course. All associated training. Motorcycle training.

Postby Prelude » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:52 am

Hi all,
Just wondering if there are any advanced riders on the forum from either east Lancs or Yorkshire. I'm fairly new to the board and currently having Roada tution up and down the hills and valleys of this region .... well, not exclusively but you know what I mean! (*_*)

Regards
Prelude
Prelude

Postby Roadcraft » Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:38 am

I no longer undertake adv. riding...

However, a warm welcome to the forum....

I've lived on both sides of the Pennines and the roads around there are superb...
Roadcraft

Postby Prelude » Mon May 01, 2006 1:28 am

Hi SF,
Thanks for the welcome. I wasn't necessarily referring to tutors in my post, but to anyone who had passed the advanced motorcycle test in any form, and yes you are right about the roads - one minute you can be driving nicely and progressively on a wide open stretch of road feeling on top of the world - quite literally at times; the next you're embarking on a long and windy (often hazardess!) descent into the dark shaded bowl of a little village you have never heard of! Then you find you have to do it all again in reverse (not literally this time, of course!) Plays havoc with your fuel gage in more ways than one! I expect you are familiar with the Windy Hill area of the M62....oh and the farmhouse that is wedged between it. I heard that the Beatles song - The Long and Winding Road was based on that farmhouse, but don't quote me on it, I could quite possibly be wrong!

Regards on this 'Mayday'!
Prelude

Postby Roadcraft » Mon May 01, 2006 9:32 am

Prelude wrote:Hi SF,
I expect you are familiar with the Windy Hill area of the M62....oh and the farmhouse that is wedged between it. I heard that the Beatles song - The Long and Winding Road was based on that farmhouse, but don't quote me on it, I could quite possibly be wrong!

Regards on this 'Mayday'!

Many a romantic time i've spent in the car parking area adjacent to the TV transmitter at Windy Hill...

Anyway.....back to modern day....

Yeah the roads around there are very good....the A672 Ripponden road...alongside the motorway....(near the TurnPike Pub)....down and into Saddleworth...

Superb..
Roadcraft

Postby rlmr » Mon May 01, 2006 6:41 pm

Prelude wrote:Hi all,
Just wondering if there are any advanced riders on the forum from either east Lancs or Yorkshire.

If Northern = "The War of the Roses"
Where on earth are Bill and I :wink:

regards,

Rennie
56 19 17 North 03 01 03 East :!:
rlmr

Postby Prelude » Tue May 02, 2006 1:32 am

It can't be very romantic if there's an 80mph wind blowing up there, like it was for me about a year ago. I dared not get out of the car for about 10 minutes and when I did, stuff flew out of car like tissues, bit of paper, then I was flown out along with them and sort of headed where the wind blew me! Getting back to the car was quite a triumph, as was brushing my hair - ouch!
The road you mentioned is quite suberb, and if coming off the motorway at that point, you rumble accross the cattle grid! Two bikers gave me a bit of fright on that road once though - they must have overtaken me at 90mph....and were so close too, surprised they did not catch my wing mirror! Grrrr.

War of the Roses??? Lol, no, but you know what I mean: Northen as to Northen England, which probably makes you a southerner!! I was in Scotland myself just back in February and drove there. Even for us 'northerners', it's a long way to drive! Worth it though, that's for sure ;-)
Being a 'wimp' I stopped off overnight on the way in Jedburgh...Well, they say tiredness kills, and to have a break! :-) Had to do the return journey in one day though - need to work on my stamina , perhaps.....
Prelude

Postby madmoggy » Tue May 02, 2006 8:33 pm

Hi Prelude
I dont often venture south to where you are, but theres some great roads between us (Alston Moor, Teesdale, Helmsley, Whitby etc)
Not really riding at the moment (job, sorting the house, sorting the second bike etc) but hope to get the bike out next month for a few runs. Its been a while since I did my IAM test, and could do with a few runs to get back into the swing of things
madmoggy

Return to Advanced Motorcycling Forum