CHARITY MOTORCYCLE RIDE -PC DAVID RATHBAND/BLUE LAMP FOUNDAT

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving. IAM, RoSPA/RoADA, High Performance Course. All associated training. Motorcycle training.

Postby exportmanuk » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:59 pm

Hi

Found this on the IAM site

Charity ride from Preson to CUmbria March or April of next year details not fixed yet

Watch this thread on the IAM site for more information
exportmanuk

Postby exportmanuk » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:32 pm

The date has noww been set for the event, which we are calling The Blue Lamp Run.

Saturday 14th may 2011
exportmanuk

Postby exportmanuk » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:17 pm

Hi

I have a further update from the organiser

Hi everyone, hope that you're all well,

Thank you all so much for your ongoing support for PC David Rathband's Blue Lamp Foundation and the Blue Lamp Run charity motorcycle ride.

The interest is just geting bigger and bigger, and I'm sure that what we're doing is creating something special and never to be forgotten. I am receiving emails almost daily about the event, many of which are from groups who want to take part, who I sisn't even know were aware of the event - such is the support we are getting.

I have enclosed in the attachment the official fundraising pack from the BLF, amongst which is the sponsorship form. Would you all be kind enough to distribute this please amongst your friends and colleagues who are participating in the ride and ask that they note their donation (entry fee) on the form and any other kind donations they receive from friends and family? please ask them not to forget the Gift Aid information too, to increase what the BLF receive through Gift Aid.

We have kindly been sponsored a number of Hi Vis vests for group leaders, organisers of the ride etc and raffle prizes have started to come in or have been pledged.

So far, we have a signed DVD and Book "Long Way Round", autographed and donated personally by Ewan McGregor as he is aware of the event and wanted to support it. We have a helmet and luggage donated by Oxford, the bike accessory firm and various other items to be confirmed by other companies.

I was at the bike show at the NEC last week and a company called Halo who have invented a new concept in helmets, designed to cool the brain in the event of an RTC and assist in preserving life, which also sends up to 5 text messages to advise people have kindly offered to donate one of their helmets, worth £1000 !

If anyone has any contacts who wish to donate further prizes, then please put them in touch.The more funds we can raise, the merrier.

Also useful would be intercoms for organisers and leaders (bike to bike) and a bike or helmet mounted camera to record the day's events. In return for any items donated, we will seek to ensure that people are aware of our kind donors and sponsors. I personally am more than happy to put stickers/ decals on my bike to assist with this and it is highly likely that we will get TV coverage of the event in the north west on leaving, and the north east on arrival. A press officer from Lancashire Constabulary is kindly managing that for us.

You may also like to know that liveried police bikes will be on the ride to assist with marshalling etc. South Yorkshire Police have kindly offered to attend and supply a number of motorcyclists, as have Cumbria Police and probably one of my colleagues from Lancashire Constabulary also.
exportmanuk

Postby exportmanuk » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:35 pm

Hi

Latest update on this
we now have a meeting/start point for the ride on 14th May 2011.

VOSA ( the Vehicle and Operator Standars Agency) have kindly allowed us use of their vehicle check-site at Junction 1a of the M65, near Bamber Bridge, Preston.

The have kindly offered us the use of their bathroom facilities and there will be a catering van on site prior to our departure, selling bacon and sausage sandwiches etc, tea and coffee, and the owner of the business has kindly said she will donate 10% of her morning's takings as sponsorship for our event.

Directions

From the South

Take the M6 north to Junction 29 (Preston South).
The slip road has a left fork leaving it, take the left fork on to the M65 (Jct1, M65).
You are now on the last few hundred yards of the M65.
Infront of you is Jct 1a (known as "Terminal island" where you will see a large open area to your right. This is the VOSA site.
Circle around the site to the entrance which is on the opposite side.

From the north

Take the M6 south to Jct 29 (Preston South)
At the top of the slip road, go straight ahead on to the link road to the next roundabout ( Jct 1, M65).
Turn right (3rd exit) on to the last few hundres yards of the M65. Directions as above.

From the east

Follow the M65 to it's conclusion at Preston south. Directions as above.

Important note

I have no doubt that it goes without saying, but please ensure that all bikes in your group are legal and roadworthy and that riders are aware that they are responsible for their own insurance and documentation. ANPR is active in Lancashire.

A start time has yet to be decided, but I will confirm this to you all as soon as possible. Myself and a friend who is invilved in the organisation of the ride, will be riding the route at an appropriate opportunity to assess timings and facilities etc and finalising a precise route.

Pickup point

Friends and colleagues from Cumbria police are currently looking in to an appropriate pickup point in Kendal for anyone wishing to join us in Cumbria prior to going on the the A6 to Shap, so please let me know if you will be joining us there. They will also be looking in to organising a stop at the Hartside Cafe near Alston, a well known biker cafe for those who haven't been before.

Information required

If you are an organiser or my contact for a group of bikers who are attending, please could you start to let me know your estimate of numbers attending.This is to assist with marshalling and organising groups, and for catering as The Blue Lamp Foundation, along with Blyth Rugby Club have kindly offered to lay on a "Homecoming" with a barbecue or other food.

Camping is available on the pitch at Blyth Rugby Club. Please let me know hoe many tents you intend to bring if you are camping, again for the purposes of organisation. The Rugby Club have also kindly said that the changing rooms will be left open over night so that people can change there and use the toilets and showers etc.

Sponsorship/ Donations

We have a few raffle prizes, and it is likely that David Rathband will be drawing the raffle in the evening.
We have also been kindly donated a number of hi vis vests for group leaders, orgainsers, first aiders and mechanics etc to assist with identification on the day.

Any further raffle prizes would be greatfully received.

Thank you once again for all your support. i will be in touch with any significant updates as soon as I have them, but please feel free to get in touch if you need anything.

Kind regards

Contact can be made by email to speedcuffs at talk21 dot com
exportmanuk

Postby jim782 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:28 pm

this has been the hardest bike ride i have ever tried to get involed in, i cant get in touch with the website hosts or the person who posted the info for this bike ride as [speedcuffs at talk21 dot com] does not work as email and yes i changed the at and the dot .any help email jimrowe@sky.com
jim782

Return to Advanced Motorcycling Forum