BAck on my bike. Advanced or not?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving. IAM, RoSPA/RoADA, High Performance Course. All associated training. Motorcycle training.

Postby playtent » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:25 pm

Guys

Just collected the new steed after a break from bikes for about 4 years. I'm 39 and my last bike was a ZX9r Ninja.
I passed my test in 1991 so have near on 20 years now with a bike licence.

In the last 4 years I've done my Police advanced driving course, but as yet have not riden a bike since doing this course. I'd been a standard Police driver since 1999.

My questions are:

Would there be much benefit in doing a civilian advanced course on my bike?
It doesn't make much difference to my insurance so thats no really a factor.
Is the car side going to assist greatly with the bike, or is it that different from car's to have not much crossover?
What course is best to do?

I'm never going to do a bike course at work because I'm not a traffic nazi so there's no point waiting for that one!

Cheers Paul
playtent

Postby Horse » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:16 pm

The area you'll find the biggest difference (I suppose you already have!) is machine control rather than application of 'system' etc.

In particular, starting/stopping, braking and steering*.

* ie counter-steering
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby ROG » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:32 pm

Suggestion :idea:
Get in contact with the nearest civvy advanced driving examiner (ex/police traffic) and get them to give you a quick assessment - as you are in the job I'll bet they will do it for a drink or two :D
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Flexibase » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:16 pm

From one who took a police advanced bike course less than 12 months after a police advanced car course I would recommend any course bike help or course that you can find, whether from an individual, IAM or RoSPA Group. Apart from the differences from driving - you will enjoy it!
David Wornham
Flexibase

Postby playtent » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:39 pm

Thanks guys, I'll see who I can find..

Cheers Paul
playtent

Postby playtent » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:04 pm

Turns out my mate has his Police bike instructors course early next year so problem solved. I think we will be going out for a few rides!

Cheers
playtent

Return to Advanced Motorcycling Forum