More technology to wind Dave up

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving. IAM, RoSPA/RoADA, High Performance Course. All associated training. Motorcycle training.

Postby jont » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:39 pm

Though as he doesn't ride, maybe it won't bother him:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12266406
What do riders on here think of these ideas?
jont

Postby TripleS » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:46 pm

jont wrote:Though as he doesn't ride, maybe it won't bother him:

Goodness gracious me, as I'm now identified in a thread title I guess I really must have made a bad name for myself. :shock:

Anyhow, I'm not a biker so this isn't of particular interest to me in practical terms, but as it seems to be largely a matter of providing information to riders, I wouldn't criticise it.

What I do not like are systems whereby aspects of vehicle control are taken over by gadgetry, and the driver's inputs are over-ruled, unless there are very good reasons for doing things this way. I can see that stability control systems (for example) might be a legitimate form of driver assistance in that this is increasing the capabilities of the vehicle in extreme conditions such as emergency situations. That seems good so long as drivers don't abuse it and exceed the capacity of the system, thus ending up having higher speed accidents. Even so, it still isn't a feature that I'm particularly anxious to have, given that I managed for several decades without it. I certainly wouldn't choose it as an option extra at additional cost on a new vehicle for my own use: not that I shall be buying any new vehicles that might be telling me how things have to be. :evil: If old CUBby - relatively old and simple as she is, a bit like me really :lol: - will just hang on a while longer, that'll do for me. 8)

Going back to the bike related technology, it does seem to cover quite a lot of stuff and offer warning messages to the rider in a variety of ways, so is there a danger that this may distract the rider from carrying out his own hazard spotting, and evaluation and judgement processes. I hope not, otherwise that would need to be offset against any benefits that this technology offers.

As I have never had an interest in anything with less than four wheels, I'm not best placed to come to any worthwhile conclusions about this sort of development: others will be able to do that much better.

Where's that Horse fellow when you need him? :wink:

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby exportmanuk » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:11 pm

From the article

One system tested works out if riders are travelling too fast to negotiate upcoming bends. Mira has developed software that acts as a "co-pilot" which, with the help of a digital map, knows what speed they should be travelling to make it round a bend.

Once upon a rainy day.
Sorry officer my saferider did not warn me I could not make the bend at the speed I was travelling.

I thought that motorcycle riding could not get taken over by technology I could be wrong. I feel that we depend too much on motor tech already.
exportmanuk

Postby Horse » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:13 pm

TripleS wrote:
jont wrote:Though as he doesn't ride, maybe it won't bother him:

Where's that Horse fellow when you need him? :wink:

Wotcha :lol:

There's a thread about this on one of the riders' boards I use - but I have studiously avoided posting there.

I don't like 'technology' in vehicles. I'll accept ABS, and variable-speed intermittent windscreen wipers I like :D but get wary beyond that . . .

Warnings are one thing - it's oif the vehicle starts to take control I begin to wonder . . .

Try this:
http://survivalskills.wordpress.com/201 ... otainment/
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby exportmanuk » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:41 pm

Imagine filtering with this thing If you had the motors in the cheek pad to warn you of the proximity of other vehicles you helmet would be vibrating that much you would not be able to see where you are going :?
exportmanuk

Postby Horse » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:04 pm

exportmanuk wrote:Imagine filtering with this thing If you had the motors in the cheek pad to warn you of the proximity of other vehicles you helmet would be vibrating that much you would not be able to see where you are going :?

There's another EU-finded project* which includes radar-linked brakes - I made a similar point to yours to someone involved.

* Video on Youtube, but I couldn't find them when looking last night.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby exportmanuk » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:36 pm

Radar linked brakes
:!:

Imagine you've just decided to take a course to avoid something so you banked over then the radar things your too close and applies the brakes :oops:

Guess this is being driven forward by people who don't ride
exportmanuk

Postby Horse » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:50 pm

exportmanuk wrote:
Radar linked brakes
:!:

PISA - Powered Two Wheeler Integrated Safety

Newsletter:
http://www.pisa-project.eu/downloada...6_03082009.pdf

Not the most scintilating vids, but Youtube 'pisa' and motorcycle, there are two vids on there.
Horse

Postby exportmanuk » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:05 pm

Here is another demonstration

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYshHRVBPEE
exportmanuk

Return to Advanced Motorcycling Forum