first bike test??

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving. IAM, RoSPA/RoADA, High Performance Course. All associated training. Motorcycle training.

Postby SgorioFruit » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:28 pm

am i right in thinking that i can do my test for a full bike license on a 125cc but will be restricted for two years riding just a 125cc, after that i can move on to any size bike??
or is that just for people under age 21?

im 25 and would like to sit my test on a 125cc and just build up my confidence, experience and skill in the two years.
SgorioFruit

Postby Andy » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:23 pm

If you do your bike test on a 125cc bike, you will be restricted to 25 kW (33 bhp) for the first two years, even though you are 25. This need not neccessarily be a 125cc but can be a larger bike, provided that it complies with the 25 kW limit. Many medium sized bikes can be fitted with an approved restrictor kit too so you'll have a good range of options. For info, a 125cc learner machine is limited to a maximum power of 11 kW.

As you are over 21, you do have the choice to take your test on a larger motorcycle with a power output of at least 35kW, which would then enable you to ride a bike of any size with no restriction.

A couple of tips whichever route you choose:

1. You must take both parts of the pratcical bike test on the same category of bike - i.e. you can't take Module 1 (off road test) on a 125 and then Module 2 (on road test) on a larger bike.

2. You can complete your CBT on a smaller bike and then go on to take both parts of the practical test on a larger bike.

3. Once you've passed your CBT, you can legally ride a bike upto 125cc unaccompanied on the road with L plates but are not allowed to ride a bigger bike on the road unless you are accompanied by a DSA DAS approved instructor.

Regardless of which route you take, I would suggest that getting proper training is essential.

I think your approach to take your test on a 125cc and then use the two years to build up your skills and experience is extremely sensible.

Once you've done your normal bike test, I would highly recommend continuing your learning with some advanced training. I took my first advanced bike test with the IAM on a Honda 250 at the age of 19 so it can be done!

Good luck with training for and taking your test. Keep us posted on your progress and shout up with any questions you may have. :)
Andy Stoll
Advanced Motorcycle Instructor
Derbyshire Advanced Rider Training
Andy

Postby SgorioFruit » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:45 pm

thanks for your response and helpful information andy
i think i will go down that route of passing cbt and getting experience on a 125 and most probaby sitting the test on the 125cc and just build up knowledge and expereince, i mean what is two years, it will fly by, and i can still enjoy and have as much fun on a smaller bike.
im in no rush
cant wait to get started, will let you know how it goes

how much do cbt test average around these days?
SgorioFruit

Postby playtent » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:29 pm

Hi

Around £90 to £100 for CBT.
Due to your age it makes sense to do your test on the bigger bike, or in 2 years you'll be paying for more instruction and another test!
There's nothing that says because you have a full bike licence you have to jump straight on a 1000cc. You can do 2 years on a 125cc to gain confidence and knowledge.
Also take a look at the changes that are coming in 2013 in the other thread 'new test going well' that might encourage you to get it out the way now rather than wait!

Goodluck
Last edited by playtent on Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
playtent

Postby SgorioFruit » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:47 pm

playtent wrote:
Due to your age it makes sense to do your test on the bigger bike, or in 2 years you'll be paying for more instruction and another test!

doesnt that contradict what andy said above?

i was under the impression that i can do the test on the 125cc and be restricted for 2 years, even though im 25, and then the restriction comes off after them 2 years, and i can ride any size bike?
or is that what your trying to tell me aswel?
SgorioFruit

Postby Andy » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:43 pm

SgorioFruit wrote:
playtent wrote:Due to your age it makes sense to do your test on the bigger bike, or in 2 years you'll be paying for more instruction and another test!

Yes it is contradictory and unfortunately wrong. :roll: :?:

i was under the impression that i can do the test on the 125cc and be restricted for 2 years, even though im 25, and then the restriction comes off after them 2 years, and i can ride any size bike?

You are correct; if you take your bike test test on a sub-category A2 motorcycle (solo bike 121-125cc capable of at least 62.5mph and limited to 11 kW) then as I stated above, you will be restricted to riding a bike with a maximum power output of 25 kW. After two years the restriction will end automatically. You can then ride a motorcycle of any engine size and power output. There is no further test. As you have already taken your test, any future changes to the bike testing regime will not affect you.

playtent wrote:It will also make your insurance cheaper when you do come to get a larger bike as you will have past your test for at least 2 years, rather than I've just past my unrestricted licence test and have got a 600cc!

This is also wrong. Insurers ask how long you have held a full licence for (i.e. not provisional) and will want to know your riding history, including the size of bikes ridden and for how long. There is no "unrestricted licence test". Although you will have a power restriction for the first couple of years, this is still a full motorcycle licence and entitles you, for example, to ride without L-Plares, carry a pillion and ride on a motorway.

To get more information, have a look at the DirectGov website here.

Here's an extract from the "Sub-category A2 (standard motorcycle)" section:

"If you pass your test on this sub-category of motorcycle you can ride motorcycles with a power output of no more than 25 kilowatts. That's the same as 33 brake horse power. This restriction will last for two years.

After two years the restriction will end automatically. You can then ride a motorcycle of any engine size and power output."

@SgorioFruit - you don't say whereabouts you come from?
Andy Stoll
Advanced Motorcycle Instructor
Derbyshire Advanced Rider Training
Andy

Postby playtent » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:29 pm

Andy wrote:
SgorioFruit wrote:
playtent wrote:Due to your age it makes sense to do your test on the bigger bike, or in 2 years you'll be paying for more instruction and another test!

Yes it is contradictory and unfortunately wrong. :roll: :?:

You are correct; if you take your bike test test on a sub-category A2 motorcycle (solo bike 121-125cc capable of at least 62.5mph and limited to 11 kW) then as I stated above, you will be restricted to riding a bike with a maximum power output of 25 kW. After two years the restriction will end automatically. You can then ride a motorcycle of any engine size and power output. There is no further test. As you have already taken your test, any future changes to the bike testing regime will not affect you.

playtent wrote:It will also make your insurance cheaper when you do come to get a larger bike as you will have past your test for at least 2 years, rather than I've just past my unrestricted licence test and have got a 600cc!

This is also wrong. Insurers ask how long you have held a full licence for (i.e. not provisional) and will want to know your riding history, including the size of bikes ridden and for how long. There is no "unrestricted licence test". Although you will have a power restriction for the first couple of years, this is still a full motorcycle licence and entitles you, for example, to ride without L-Plares, carry a pillion and ride on a motorway.

To get more information, have a look at the DirectGov website here.

Here's an extract from the "Sub-category A2 (standard motorcycle)" section:

"If you pass your test on this sub-category of motorcycle you can ride motorcycles with a power output of no more than 25 kilowatts. That's the same as 33 brake horse power. This restriction will last for two years.

After two years the restriction will end automatically. You can then ride a motorcycle of any engine size and power output."

@SgorioFruit - you don't say whereabouts you come from?

Andy

Your are quite correct, please ignore my useless input! :roll:
Confusing the old with the 2013 scheme to be!

Cheers
playtent

Postby SgorioFruit » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:08 pm

cheers for the replies guys.
so when the 2013 scheme comes into play, how will the bike tests change. alot of people say it will get harder.

also im from Swansea, and theres a few good bike trainers around the city

a mate of mine is doing his CBT and direct access test on a week long course for 550quid next month
SgorioFruit

Return to Advanced Motorcycling Forum