Should hi-viz be a legal requirement for bikers?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving. IAM, RoSPA/RoADA, High Performance Course. All associated training. Motorcycle training.

Postby Andy » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:50 pm

Following all the recent hoo-har in France and MAG protests in Brum about the prospect of new hi-viz laws for bikers, I thought I 'd ask what others think about making it a legal requirement for bikers to have to wear hi-viz?

For the record, I do routinely wear a hi-viz waistcoat myself, but would be opposed to any compulsory requirement to do so. I would far rather that if any new laws were introduced, that people were required to wear gloves, sensible footwear and a jacket of some description (vs. flip flops, shorts and T shirt).

Without wishing to re-open an extensive debate on the pro's and con's of hi-viz, there is a good article entitled 'The pros and cons of conspicuity aids' found here on the RoADAR website.
Andy Stoll
Advanced Motorcycle Instructor
Derbyshire Advanced Rider Training
Andy

Postby Horse » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:33 am

How did motorcyclists ever survive pre- daytime headlamps & hi-viz . . . ? :roll:

I've not seen any stats. which suggest a drop in the 'SMIDSY' crashes over the last 30 years - which surely would be expected after the almost-mandatory AHO now and widespread use of hi-viz.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Andy » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:33 pm

Horse wrote:I've not seen any stats. which suggest a drop in the 'SMIDSY' crashes over the last 30 years - which surely would be expected after the almost-mandatory AHO now and widespread use of hi-viz.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is AHO?
Andy Stoll
Advanced Motorcycle Instructor
Derbyshire Advanced Rider Training
Andy

Postby Horse » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:45 am

Andy wrote:
Horse wrote:I've not seen any stats. which suggest a drop in the 'SMIDSY' crashes over the last 30 years - which surely would be expected after the almost-mandatory AHO now and widespread use of hi-viz.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is AHO?

Automatic headlamp On - ie wired through the ignition, with no separate on/off switch. Pretty common on bikes - indeed almost 100% of the manufacturers now) and gradually introduced through the last decade or so.

FYI not bikes, but:

http://www.highways.gov.uk/knowledge_co ... mplete.pdf

http://www.highways.gov.uk/knowledge_co ... g_Note.pdf
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby WhoseGeneration » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:15 pm

No.
You want the reason?
Ok, all bikers wear hi-viz, it's the norm.
Once anything is the norm, the car driving fraternity will , most of them, discount it.
Because most do not observe.
It's that simple.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby Renny » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:18 pm

I almost had a SMIDSY incident on Tuesday night. I was driving a RIB and didn't see the skiff approaching as I moved away from the mooring :oops:
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Postby AnalogueAndy » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:35 pm

WhoseGeneration wrote:No.
You want the reason?
Ok, all bikers wear hi-viz, it's the norm.
Once anything is the norm, the car driving fraternity will , most of them, discount it.
Because most do not observe.
It's that simple.

Wot he said!

But also because it would all too soon become a requirement for cyclists to wear one too. Like Andy I often wear one (in my case when cycling and non CE / EN cycling specific clothing) but I'd be very much against compulsion.

Partly because some riders (in both categories) put one on, automatically assume they'll be 'seen' and take less care as a result.

I don't think we've ever discussed the issue but I'm similarly 'pro helmet' but 'anti compulsion'.
AnalogueAndy

Postby Horse » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:11 pm

AnalogueAndy wrote: Partly because some riders (in both categories) put one on, automatically assume they'll be 'seen' and take less care as a result.

Sussex Uni, advising police on hi-viz jackets: "It's a uniform, silly, not a forcefield' :)
Horse

Return to Advanced Motorcycling Forum