Driving down the middle of the road...

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving. IAM, RoSPA/RoADA, High Performance Course. All associated training. Motorcycle training.

Postby Pooger » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:07 pm

Hi

I have a question which has been bugging me for a while. I am not a motocyclist and thererfore do not know what is allowed and what is not. So here we go, this might be a longer one but appreciate any answer which may clarify this for me:

Sometimes when i stand in traffic or when the traffic is moving slowly or when queuing at traffic lights, on a multi-lane road, motorcycles drive down the middle of the traffic in order to get to thefront or to simply overtake. They do not however drive on the right hand side of the very right hand lane but they go between the waiting traffic often 'pushing' the bike in order to avoid car mirrors. Sometimes when the gap between the cars is too narrow ahead the go in front of a waiting car in order to get onto the left or right of the 'obstruction'.

Whenever i see that i think it looks very dangerous. Especially when the traffic is moviing. After all as a car driver you do not expect someone to come up between you and the car next to you. You might if moving go slightly further over to the right or turn without looking to your right in that case and then hitting the cycle.

Is this legal?
Pooger

Postby playtent » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:35 pm

Hi and welcome

Theres a lot of info here http://www.motorcycling-uk.com/training ... tering.htm about the law and doing so safely.

Hope that helps.

Regards
playtent

Postby GJD » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:57 pm

Pooger wrote:After all as a car driver you do not expect someone to come up between you and the car next to you.

Well once you've observed that it happens quite often there's no reason not to expect it :) .

Pooger wrote:You might if moving go slightly further over to the right or turn without looking to your right in that case and then hitting the cycle.

You might be doing that, but I imagine if you hit someone because you moved without looking, you'd be deemed at fault.

I'm not aware of any general law against motorbikes and bicycles filtering (oh - just checked playtent's link and it seems it is indeed legal), although I do sometimes see motorcyclists putting more faith in other drivers' observation than I'd be prepared to.
GJD

Postby Pooger » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:16 pm

Well however you look at it i think it relies heavily on the other road user taking exceptional care.
Pooger

Postby martine » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:42 pm

Hi Pooger and welcome.

Do I take it you're a cyclist? (you mention 'standing' in traffic).

Clearly squeezing through stationary traffic has a risk...some bikers even filter between 2 lanes of moving traffic and sometimes at high speed - which gives me the willies when I see it. Filtering is very common and one of the good things about bikes (and cycles) in cities...but it's all a question of degree...you can make it safer or more dangerous depending in all sorts of factors but I don't think there's anything wrong with it in principle.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby ExadiNigel » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:12 am

martine wrote:....Clearly squeezing through stationary traffic has a risk...some bikers even filter between 2 lanes of moving traffic and sometimes at high speed - which gives me the willies when I see it.....

Id does me, particularly when one, or even both, of those vehicles is a lorry! Scarey!

Pooger wrote:Well however you look at it i think it relies heavily on the other road user taking exceptional care.

Sort of, but not as heavily on the filterer taking exceptional care! I try not to put my life in anyone elses hands when I'm driving or cycling (or, in the short period when I was biking).
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby playtent » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:53 pm

Cycling, you are always putting your life in car drivers hands, motorcycling as well but to a lesser extent!
playtent

Postby jont » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:56 pm

playtent wrote:Cycling, you are always putting your life in car drivers hands, motorcycling as well but to a lesser extent!

Yes, it's a shame there aren't more police around to enforce the rules against "professional" drivers who seem to be the worst culprits for trying to bully cyclists off the roads /not bitter about First group again today.
jont

Return to Advanced Motorcycling Forum