mod 2 test fail

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving. IAM, RoSPA/RoADA, High Performance Course. All associated training. Motorcycle training.

Postby gilmore1988 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:14 pm

Hello, just want to ask a few peoples opinions. i was taking my mod 2 test in an area i don't know and was asked to take the next left. Unaware of how far the next turn was and i couldn't visibly see it i proceeded with a right life saver and mirror check and went to move out round 2 cyclists. as i got level with the 1st cyclist i saw the opening to the turning ahead. i felt i had enough time and applied gentle pressure on the break mirror checked, indicated, life saver and moved back into the center of my lane as it looked safe to do so. I then proceeded to turn left at the junction like previously asked. after the test was finished i got 2 minors and a serious. the examiner said to me i got a serious because it looked like the cyclist slowed down and could have possibly become unsteady and therefore was a fail. i explained what was going through my head at the time and i explained my reasons. he said that yes i indicated and used all my mirrors safely but regardless of all that the cyclist appeared to slow down. He said i should have just carried on past the cyclists and ignored the turn left request and he would have directed me a different route. i just want to hear a few peoples opinions to help me in future. i just don't understand how he can say yes i acted safely after i realized the junction was there but is still a fail. i feel the cyclist would have acted like that weather i pulled along side saw the junction and then decided to carry on round then. i feel a little hard done by i suppose.

Thanks
gilmore1988

Postby fungus » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:56 pm

I am not a biker, but basically if your actions affect another road user, then the examiner will mark either a serious or dangerous error. From what you say in your post, the examiner detected the cyclists slowing as you turned across them. If that is the case then your actions would be marked as either serious or dangerous.

gilmore1988 wrote: i feel the cyclist would have acted like that weather i pulled along side saw the junction and then decided to carry on round then.

When overtaking you will normally be maintaining, or increasing speed. I doubt that the cyclists would slow in that case. However, you were slowing to make the left turn. In that case, the cyclists would be riding into a closing gap until you have made your turn. If you had pulled alongside and then seen the junction, the chances are that you would momentarily have slowed before making the decision to carry on. IMHO that could be enough to cause the cyclists to slow.

A problem for some candidates on test is that they think they must follow the examiners directions. This can be a problem when, for example, they are asked to turn right on a two lane road (dual carriageway). I always emphasise to my pupils that you only make the lane change if it's safe. If not carry on in the lane your in. The examiner will re direct you, and you will not be marked down.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby jcochrane » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:53 pm

From a cyclists point of view when a car overtakes and then turns left it can seem like a metal barrier has just suddenly been put across their path. As the car turns left there is a moment when it is sideways to the cyclist and virtually stationary i.e. there is little or no forward movement of the car. Not sure how clear that is but try and imagine it from the view the cyclist has of a car turning across in front of them. It is not a comfortable experience for a cyclist remembering also that a cyclist needs more time and distance to slow or stop than a car at a given speed. Sometimes I suspect drivers don't fully understand that.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby waremark » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:35 am

I think the key to whether what you did was reasonable is how far in front of the cyclist you were when you turned across him.

Apparently you would not have been marked down had you driven on past the junction. Other options would have been to ask the examiner how far ahead the junction was before beginning the overtake, or to abort the overtake, brake and drop in behind the cyclist when you spotted the turn.
waremark

Postby exportmanuk » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:12 am

waremark wrote:I think the key to whether what you did was reasonable is how far in front of the cyclist you were when you turned across him.

Apparently you would not have been marked down had you driven on past the junction. Other options would have been to ask the examiner how far ahead the junction was before beginning the overtake, or to abort the overtake, brake and drop in behind the cyclist when you spotted the turn.

On the motorcycle test you only have one way communication from the examiner to the rider so you are not able to question. this make it more difficult than in a car test as your actions are interpreted immemorial and there is no feed back. Plus the examiners is behind you so has a different perspective than you or a if in a car the passenger would have.
exportmanuk

Return to Advanced Motorcycling Forum