Filtering Crash - Recent case you may find of interest

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving. IAM, RoSPA/RoADA, High Performance Course. All associated training. Motorcycle training.

Postby TripleS » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:54 pm

morsing wrote:And again I will never understand why filtering is still allowed - hopefully it won't be for much longer...

I must say I partially agree with your feeling, but I can't see filtering being outlawed completely. It just seems to me that rather too much of it is done in an overly pushy and reckless manner by motorcyclists.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby GJD » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:08 pm

morsing wrote:And again I will never understand why filtering is still allowed - hopefully it won't be for much longer...

Assuming you could define it sufficiently well to ban it, I'd have thought you'd be taking out an awfully big part of the advantage of a motorbike in traffic.
GJD

Postby jont » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:42 am

GJD wrote:

Assuming you could define it sufficiently well to ban it, I'd have thought you'd be taking out an awfully big part of the advantage of a motorbike in traffic.

Which sounds like morsing's aim. Shame as a motorbike would seem a far more efficient use of roadspace than cars.

Morsing - would you also apply that to pushbikes? One of my major benefits of commuting by bike is not having to worry about traffic as I can filter past it. If that went, I might as well sit in a car and add to the gridlock.
jont

Postby MGF » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:43 pm

Gareth wrote:... I also wondered about the relative responsibility for observing potential hazards; I was making fairly good use of a door mirror while he appeared to be making very little use of his forward vision.

Is it possible he saw you indicating but assuming he had priority and that you wouldn't move until he had passed? You were indicating for sometime without moving.
MGF

Postby Gareth » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:25 pm

MGF wrote:Is it possible he saw you indicating but assuming he had priority and that you wouldn't move until he had passed? You were indicating for sometime without moving.

I wouldn't have thought so; I was checking frequently and it was only when I was about to move that he came into view. However, having seen him I did not start the move but waited to see what he was going to do; perhaps that was enough for him to feel he could pass safely.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby TripleS » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:00 pm

Gareth wrote:
MGF wrote:Is it possible he saw you indicating but assuming he had priority and that you wouldn't move until he had passed? You were indicating for sometime without moving.

I wouldn't have thought so; I was checking frequently and it was only when I was about to move that he came into view. However, having seen him I did not start the move but waited to see what he was going to do; perhaps that was enough for him to feel he could pass safely.

Is it possible that you waited a bit too long, so that a 'problem' had time to appear, and it might have been better to make your move earlier, as soon as you had established that it was safe to do so?

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Gareth » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:45 pm

TripleS wrote:Is it possible that you waited a bit too long

I waited for a reaction, which didn't materialise.
Gareth

Postby TripleS » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:05 am

Gareth wrote:
TripleS wrote:Is it possible that you waited a bit too long

I waited for a reaction, which didn't materialise.

I was merely wondering if you could have made your move earlier, and got the new situation (i.e. your lane change) established before it became likely to interfere with the other fellow.

The objective should be to avoid doing things that cause others to change course or speed in order to accommodate us, but that is very much an ideal, and in busy traffic I don't think it can always be done. So long as we allow others plenty of time to make their adjustments, it seems to me that we should accept that. After all, in many cases our mere presence on the road interferes with what others would have done had we not been there at all.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby exportmanuk » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:35 pm

Look at it from the riders point of view.

He is riding between traffic watching carefully what's happening and is approaching a car ahead that is indicating to move right. He hangs back a little. The car does not move . Has the driver left the indicator on... is he moving or not. Nothing is happening so the rider thinks you have forgotten your indicator. It happens a lot, and he continues to ride on past

Also consider you were watching him in your door mirror? on the outside of the car 10 feet or so in front of the rear indicator which may have been obscured by following traffic. You would have seen him before he could see your indicator.

How many times have you seen a situation where two opposing vehicles hesitate deferring to the other then both move at once. There are so many things to consider.

I ride in city traffic regularly ( Manchester) and filter where it gives me an advantage that is safe you see a lot of cars with their indicators on but doing nothing and an even bigger number who seem to think the correct order to do things is manoeuvre signal mirror the last two being optional
exportmanuk

Postby Gareth » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:38 pm

exportmanuk wrote:He hangs back a little.

If he had, I'd have moved across. He didn't.
Gareth

Previous

Return to Advanced Motorcycling Forum