Complete Beginner

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving. IAM, RoSPA/RoADA, High Performance Course. All associated training. Motorcycle training.

Postby Darren » Mon May 29, 2006 7:27 pm

This is not about Advanced Riding, just where do I start....

I have always had an ambition to learn to ride a bike, but never have. My dad was nearly killed on a bike when I was 3 on one and the parental figures always said they would write me out of their will if I bought one.

However, at 28 I think it's in my blood and I need to give it a go at some point, but if I do, given what I learned on the 4 wheels side I would hopefully like to do the same on 2. If I ever get the chance.

Anyway, can anyone give some advice on where I would start? Likely costs involved? what I would need to do etc. etc. Thought the thread might also be useful for anyone else who is an Advanced Driver and thought of starting up on 2 wheels as well.

Cheers
Darren
Darren

Postby T.C » Mon May 29, 2006 8:53 pm

First of all you will need to complete a course of compulsory basic training (CBT) which for most people is a 1 day course of instruction in theory, learning to ride the bike and its controls in a safe off road envoronment, and then putting that knowledge into practice out on the road in front of your instructor.

If you satisfy the instructor that you are competent in all of the elements of the course, he will then at the completion issue you with a certificate called a DL196 which will allow you to progress. With this certificate, you can either gain more experience in your own time on a maximum sized bike not exceeding 125 cc, or if you feels that you are competent and capable you could go onto do a full licence course called Direct access (providing you are 21 or over) where you take your test on a bike with a minimum power output of 47 BHP.

There are a variety of courses out there ranging from 2 and 3 day intensive courses to 1 on 1 hourly sessions.

Your best starting point is to have a look through your yellow pages or perhaps visit a local dealer and see if there is a school in your area that they would recommend. Many schools work in conjunction with dealers, and sometimes deals can be obtained if you are looking to buy your kit or maybe even your bike through them.

Most schools will run a fleet of learner machines so you don't have to worry about having your own bike inthe first instance, but going back to my earlier point, find yourself a school in your area and sit down and chat through all the options as courses and prices can vary depending on experience and ability and they can vary substantialy from area to area.
It is better to arrive 30 seconds late in this world, than 30 years early in the next.
T.C

Postby Lynne » Mon May 29, 2006 10:03 pm

My son did his CBT then Direct Access earlier this year. Passed his test in Feb. Had bike lined up and bought decent leathers. I've finally stopped worrying about him. Enjoy Darren!
ADI
RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Driving Instruction

Thankyou for being courteous to horses and riders :)
Lynne

Postby Darren » Mon May 29, 2006 10:31 pm

Lynne wrote:My son did his CBT then Direct Access earlier this year. Passed his test in Feb. Had bike lined up and bought decent leathers. I've finally stopped worrying about him. Enjoy Darren!

I haven't comitted to doing anything yet, just toying with the idea. Any idea of cost for the lot?
Darren

Postby Lynne » Mon May 29, 2006 10:39 pm

Will find out for you when he eventually brings himself home from wherever he is :shock: :roll:
ADI

Lynne

Postby christopherwk » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:19 am

These are just estimates:

£100 - CBT
Say £100 a day for direct access training, you might need 3 or 4 days, since as you drive a car, all the instructor is probably interested, if you can handle and ride the bike.
Relevant theory test, practical, exam test fee (if doing direct access) - some schools may include this in the cost.

Appropriate clothing is a must, I'd say spend about £500 on a decent helmet, jacket, trousers and gloves. Perhaps boots as well to protect your shins, but I think standard ankle high boots should be fine to start off with. What do other people think?

Oh, and finally, earplugs! Riding is very noisy, even for short periods of time at 30mph, may damage your hearing. 50p for a pair of disposable earplugs at bike shops, small price to pay for your hearing.
christopherwk

Postby Lynne » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:18 pm

Darren finally caught up with son!

£120 CBT
£500 3 day DAS (including test 4th day)
£700 to kit out decent leathers, helmet boots, gloves etc.,
£120 Anchor/padlock which he put into the ground himself.
£2,400 for Y reg (Suzuki SV650 s. Datatagged)
£400 comprehensive ins cover with Carole Nash (he's just changed his car insurance with them too)

Oh dear I've just made him add everything up! He's still happy he's done it though!

:D

Lynne
ADI

Lynne

Return to Advanced Motorcycling Forum