Born Again Biker Training?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving. IAM, RoSPA/RoADA, High Performance Course. All associated training. Motorcycle training.

Postby Nigel » Tue May 30, 2006 12:02 am

I have a full ticket, obtained some twenty seven years ago, I now haven't ridden ( apart from the odd go on a mates machine) for twenty years.

I can in theory buy and ride anything I want.

I've been looking at cheapo stuff on e-bay, 250cc to 500cc, old style stuff, I just want to plod along on sunny days with my ten year old son, father & son stuff, I'm not looking to win any races etc.

For the years I rode, I rode a lot, based in europe etc, when european insurance cover wasn't standard.

What advice do you lads have, and what courses can you suggest, for someone that doesn't want to be treated like a beginner, but wants some sort of refresher training ?
Nigel

Postby BillZZR600 » Tue May 30, 2006 2:02 pm

Nigel,

Does your IAM have a Bike section, or is there one near at hand, as it woululd be my first port of call for local advice and assistance.

most pro training schools will offer "born again" (I hate that phrase) or returnee refresher training. The Costs will vary from place to place but shouldnt be much more than £150/200 or so for a weekend refresher.

As to what kind of bike, that is very much a matter of personal choice, Sports, Sports touring, naked, retro, cruiser, adventure etc etc there are loads to choose but any of the Direct access friendly bikes make a good start. Suzuki GS500, Honda CB500. Kawa ER500 etc all more than capeable of two up, bimbling and when by yourself keeping up with trafic flow, and having weekend fun on faster sweeping A and B roads, without riding too hard. What kind of bikes are you seeing yourself on?

If you are looking at new, then you could do worse than the end of line Kawasaki ER500 twin, as it is due to be phased out soon and completly replaced by the e 650 models which also gets glowing praises in the Bike press as novice friendly, but experienced grin inducing good value allrounders.
Kawasaki ZZR600/Renault Laguna 1.8i
RoADAR Advanced Rider (Gold)
RoADAR Aproved (Motorcycle) Tutor
RoADAR Advanced Driver (Gold)
RoADAR Aproved (Car) Tutor
BillZZR600

Postby BillZZR600 » Tue May 30, 2006 2:09 pm

Darren,
the costs for CBT and Direct access vary hugely from place to place and school to school, so not easy to give examples, but I know of one school in Glasgow charges around £500 fo a total novice to Direct access test intensive 3day course including bike hire, and one in Aberdeenshire at £380 for similar, including B&B.
BillZZR600

Postby Nigel » Tue May 30, 2006 11:25 pm

Right....no laughing.

I've gotten my new steed....http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... %3AIT&rd=1

My teenage daughters have dis-owned me, my wife is still bent double asking where the stabilisers fit...but my 10 year old lad thinks I'm cool

:D
Nigel

Postby rlmr » Wed May 31, 2006 8:21 am

Nigel wrote:...but my 10 year old lad thinks I'm cool

Sensible 10 year old lad :wink:

Wish you many happy miles back on two wheels and just to echo earlier comments... try your local IAM Bike Group / Section. I am sure an observer would be delighted to spend a couple of hours with you and given the "status" you have with your local Group all you are looking for is a bit mutual assistance.

Enjoy.

Rennie
Rennie Ritchie
Home Page

IAM Examiner for Cars, Bikes, Lorries and Buses since 1986
rlmr

Postby BillZZR600 » Wed May 31, 2006 12:13 pm

Good for you Nigel

(Think I would have to loose the Barbi Pinkness (particularly the seat which is a bit tatty anyway and there are lots of companies advertise recovering in MCN) straight away though, and probably have the tank and rear mudguard painted black)
BillZZR600

Postby Nigel » Wed May 31, 2006 10:40 pm

I pick it up tomorrow, so I'll see how pink it is, I'm sort of hoping its a bit redder than the pictures show.

£271.66 though, couldn't let that go !

There is a much tattier one on there, and he wants £900 for it.

I'm checking out prices for the bits it needs, then get it moted, then I'll worry about colour.

I haven't even got a crash helmet !
Nigel

Postby rlmr » Wed May 31, 2006 10:43 pm

Nigel wrote:I haven't even got a crash helmet !

When I started on 2-wheels we didn't need one...legally :wink:

Rennie
rlmr

Postby Nigel » Wed May 31, 2006 11:30 pm

I needed one straight off, I had my first two wheeler in 1977, although I did have an open face to start with.

I believe the RAF insisted its lads wore helmets before they were law, as they were losing so many airmen in crashes.

Anyone have any info on childrens helmets ?, my lad is quite small for his age, and due to the surgery he has endured, he must have a full face one ( I've only seen kids in open face), if anything were ever to happen to him, it'd be a race between his surgeon and my wife as to who cuts my danglies off.
Nigel

Postby rlmr » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:25 am

Nigel wrote:...it'd be a race between his surgeon and my wife as to who cuts my danglies off.

Understand 100%. Just back from tour of Austria with my "wee boy" on his bike and me on mine. The thought of anything happening was always there in the back of my mind... likewise two-fold:

• worry about him (even though he is good) &
  • Eli would never speak to me again

On the brighter side, you should be able to come across XS Full face helmets of good quality without breaking the bank. Try looking on-line (Busters; M&P; The Fast One etc) for examples, but make sure you get your young lad to try one on at a local dealer.

Rennie
rlmr

Postby BillZZR600 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:28 am

rlmr wrote:
Nigel wrote:I haven't even got a crash helmet !

When I started on 2-wheels we didn't need one...legally :wink:

Rennie

Me too, and up to 250cc on a provisional licence

Also as long as you had a 3rd wheel sticking off a bit of short pipe clamped to the frame,(Watch out for righthanders :shock: ) with a 18in square plywood platform on it, it was technically a sidecar and you could have any size engine, on L plates.

Scared the shit out of myself on a Matchless 650 one day and never tried an "outfit" again
BillZZR600

Postby BillZZR600 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:33 am

Nigel wrote:I needed one straight off, I had my first two wheeler in 1977, although I did have an open face to start with.

I believe the RAF insisted its lads wore helmets before they were law, as they were losing so many airmen in crashes.

Anyone have any info on childrens helmets ?, my lad is quite small for his age, and due to the surgery he has endured, he must have a full face one ( I've only seen kids in open face), if anything were ever to happen to him, it'd be a race between his surgeon and my wife as to who cuts my danglies off.

Try Here Nigel. Lots of folks use them for Kids MotoX kit, but they also do a fair range of road kit, and I understand are very helpful.

http://www.babybiker.co.uk/contact.php
BillZZR600

Postby Nigel » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:36 pm

It now be blue

Nigel

Postby rlmr » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:45 pm

Looking good... and the picture was taken in the sun. Sun and Bikes do not always go hand in hand in my part of the world :wink: .

Enjoy.

Rennie
rlmr

Postby Baz » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:29 pm

Hey,

I too am born again so to speak, passed test in 83, rode 125 for some time, then nothing until 1999 when I bought a ZZR600, loved it, til was forced to sell for cash flow. Borrowed a mates R6 3 years ago for the summer and have wanted another ever since. Yesterday I picked up a Ducati 916, one of the most beautiful machines I have ever seen.

Very easy to ride and very quickly got back into the swing of things, however the first roundabout was tricky ! forgot you had to lean and thought why doesn't the steering work...

Anyway, got home, much to the amusement of the Mrs who was behind me all the way, to arrive back whith my 17yr old son and 3 mates outside the house, all drooling when I revved the Italian beast shattering many windows in a half mile radius.

So, yes it's great to have that bit of spare cash and get back on 2 wheels, I too am looking at a back to basics course in the next week or two to sharpen up those rusty skills I had in the 80's

Oh why is the weather today so c**p...

Maybe next year then I can go for the IAM bike test to sit along the car one taken so very long ago...

:D
Baz

Next

Return to Advanced Motorcycling Forum