Bike Security

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving. IAM, RoSPA/RoADA, High Performance Course. All associated training. Motorcycle training.

Postby Darren » Wed May 31, 2006 5:07 pm

OK, I followed the advice and popped down to the local dealer, met some nice people who spent quite alot of time talking me through the options, discussing bikes and potential budget. Looks like about £1000 will get me a reasonably decent 125cc and enough to get me on the road.

However, I think given my age, I dont really want to go down the 125 route and would prefer to do Direct Access, which I would probably do by taking a week off work and going getting on with it and trying not to kill myself in the process.

One concern I have is security, I think I might have one problem which is almost gonna kill off the idea. I dont have a garage. I live in a flat.

I've checked the back of the property and there is nothing sterdy enough to chain the bike to and I suppose it's possible someone could just lift it up and carry it over to a van.

Anyone got any experience with this sort of thing, whats the ways around it?
Darren

Postby martine » Wed May 31, 2006 8:02 pm

A metal loop set in concrete is pretty good but means some minor DIY. Obiously an alarm helps but won't stop someone serious. How about padlocking it to your car?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby christopherwk » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:08 am

Unfortunately, no way round it. Isn't there a street nearby with a lamppost or pole, you can chain it up against? Besides what bike is it, and would it be likely to get stolen? Perhaps try pushing it up against the wall sideways as close as possible, but then again if it's a 125cc, it will probably be light to push it away again, and into a van! (Unless it's a Honda Varadero (my first bike) with it's 149kg dry weight!)

Also, covering the bike may help, needs to be tied down though.
christopherwk

Postby BillZZR600 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:47 am

Yep a good chain and Padlock to a Ground Anchor is the best option. Make sure that the chain cant and doesn't rest against the ground, as it makes it far more difficult to cut.There are several types of anchors which are wall mount into solid stone or brickwork if that is an option.

And yes a Cover both for protection and security, but make sure that the chain passes through an special opening in it. Also Paint your House Number and Or Postcode on it as it then a far less tempting target if there are others uncovered around the area.

Also make sure that you have the bike security marked and registered. Datatag is a weel known one and costs around £50 for the kit (unique security numbe for chemical etched on to tank, panels, mirrors etc, microdot markers and transponders in tank, wheels and seat. It wont stop a joyriding Scroat, but it is less likely to be nicked for stripping for spares.
Kawasaki ZZR600/Renault Laguna 1.8i
RoADAR Advanced Rider (Gold)
RoADAR Aproved (Motorcycle) Tutor
RoADAR Advanced Driver (Gold)
RoADAR Aproved (Car) Tutor
BillZZR600

Postby David2428 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:12 pm

Get to know some local bikers in a similar position and share a lock up garage.....done this in the past and works very well, also save on your premiums 8)
London Cabbie and Biker......
David2428

Postby rlmr » Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:47 pm

David2428 wrote:Get to know some local bikers in a similar position and share a lock up garage.....done this in the past and works very well, also save on your premiums 8)

Sure you're not a Scot? :wink:

I second that idea and did this for a number of years. Now my lock-up houses my BMW, my son's BMW and my old MG... still after value for money!
Last edited by rlmr on Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rennie Ritchie
Home Page

IAM Examiner for Cars, Bikes, Lorries and Buses since 1986
rlmr

Postby David2428 » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:16 pm

rlmr wrote:Sure you're not a Scot? :wink:

No sir, definiteley not.....
And your sons live in the garage! :shock:
:wink: :lol:
London Cabbie and Biker......
David2428

Postby rlmr » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:31 pm

David2428 wrote:...And your sons live in the garage! :shock:
:wink: :lol:

Hey give the Scot a chance... English is not my native language and I forget punctuation at times :wink: .

Post amended so it can be understood by those whose English grammar is far superior to mine :roll: .

RR
rlmr

Postby Prelude » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:52 pm

Can't think of any other options apart from what others have said and a shared garage seems the best bet. Aren't there any sensitive tamper-proof devices on the market which could alert you to any intererences in regard to someone trying to steal it rather than just touching it? In the days of CCTV, it could be an idea to have one placed directly looking down on it..... even a dummy camera could put folk off.
Prelude

Postby tubbylardo » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:30 am

Don't laugh but you could always buy a dustbin and fill it with cement then stick a cement in gound anchor in it whilst wet.

This way you could chain your bike to it, they chain would be off the floor so harder to use inpact tools on plus if your landlord gets snotty you can with help push the bin out of sight until he leaves.
IAM Car test pass - 12/2001 - no longer a member
RoSPA Car test pass- 2003, 2006 & 2009 - no longer a member
Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi / HONDA VFR800Fi-Y
tubbylardo

Postby christopherwk » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:43 pm

Hmm, but if you're able to move the cement-filled dustbin (with help), then the thief can easily lift the bike (with a few of his mates), along with the cement-filled dustbin into their van, with the bike chained to it. Then they can deal with the chain and ground anchor at their leisure.

:?
christopherwk

Postby Nigel » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:26 pm

Lock it away Darren, its the only way, years ago my mates Yamaha XT500 was stolen (its was chained to a lamp post) whilst stood next to my Guzzi le-mans, which didn't even have the steering lock engaged.

The reason was you'd struggle to shift Guzzi bits, Yamaha's are much more common.

Or.....buy an old one, something like I've just bought, no-ones going to bother nicking that anyway :D

I'll look for a link for you, I believe there are some galvenised "boxes" you can buy, called bike safes or something like that, could you get away with having one of those in the grounds of your flat ?
Nigel

Postby BillZZR600 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:29 pm

Nigel wrote:Lock it away Darren, its the only way, years ago my mates Yamaha XT500 was stolen (its was chained to a lamp post) whilst stood next to my Guzzi le-mans, which didn't even have the steering lock engaged.

The reason was you'd struggle to shift Guzzi bits, Yamaha's are much more common.

Or.....buy an old one, something like I've just bought, no-ones going to bother nicking that anyway :D

I'll look for a link for you, I believe there are some galvenised "boxes" you can buy, called bike safes or something like that, could you get away with having one of those in the grounds of your flat ?

Try this one, gets good write ups.

http://www.trimetals.co.uk/motorcycle.php?m=3
Kawasaki ZZR600/Renault Laguna 1.8i
RoADAR Advanced Rider (Gold)
RoADAR Aproved (Motorcycle) Tutor
RoADAR Advanced Driver (Gold)
RoADAR Aproved (Car) Tutor
BillZZR600

Postby tubbylardo » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:10 pm

There is no 100% guaranteed way to stop your bike being stolen. If they want it bad enough they will get it regardless.

All you can do is make your bike as hard to steal as possible. To be honest - unless you ride a desirable sports bike or expensive cruiser - all you have to be concerned with are oppotunists tea leaves.

My 6 year old VFR has an alarm and immo as well as the steering lock. That's it. I could do more but my bike is more work to nick and older than the guy three doors down's CBR600 and his neighbours GSXR600.
IAM Car test pass - 12/2001 - no longer a member
RoSPA Car test pass- 2003, 2006 & 2009 - no longer a member
Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi / HONDA VFR800Fi-Y
tubbylardo

Postby jont » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:33 pm

tubbylardo wrote:All you can do is make your bike as hard to steal as possible.

My 6 year old VFR has an alarm and immo as well as the steering lock. That's it. I could do more but my bike is more work to nick and older than the guy three doors down's

Indeed, when our house was burgled a couple of years back the police basically said there was nothing they could do - just make sure your house is not the easiest to get into in the neighbourhood and next time they'd go break into someone elses :roll: :evil:
jont

Return to Advanced Motorcycling Forum