Is everyone Staying Alive instead of here?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving. IAM, RoSPA/RoADA, High Performance Course. All associated training. Motorcycle training.

Postby Zebedee » Tue May 15, 2012 11:04 pm

It's quiet round here. Is everyone Staying Alive on TheRevCounter http://www.therevcounter.com/staying-alive/ instead :?:
Zebedee

Postby Horse » Wed May 16, 2012 8:11 am

Diferent membersip here, and the more, errrr . . . 'robust' posting often seen on TRC would possibly be frowned on here.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Rick999 » Wed May 16, 2012 8:00 pm

Unfortunately the bikers section here is very quiet. The rev counter and the likes of visordown are nothing like here!
I wish this place was busier as I'm sure there are very knowledgeable folk to contribute.
Rick999

Postby martine » Thu May 17, 2012 10:21 am

Yes the bikers forum here is a bit of a backwater.

Try posting some questions Rick or perhaps organising an ADUK bikers day - you might be surprised by the 'lurkers' here.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Zebedee » Thu May 17, 2012 8:31 pm

Is Visordown still working?

Last time I looked, Visordown was all consumed by spam and dodgy adverts. I'd presumed most people had moved to TRC as a result. Am I mistaken?
Zebedee

Postby kfae8959 » Tue May 22, 2012 4:47 pm

I wonder if this area could be helpful for some of us confirmed motorists to learn more about bikes and motorcycle roadcraft? It's noticeable that many of the best drivers are also riders - the coach I usually go to is reputed to be even better on two wheels than four, and as an observer and tutor, I've found that associates with motorbike experience are often quicker to pick up "advanced" driving skills.

So, what has biking got to teach us drivers? Would you take a different approach to hazards on a bike, and if so, how? Has anyone found that habits they've developed on a bike have proved useful in driving, or have some turned out to be unhelpful?

David
"A man's life in these parts often depends on a mere scrap of information"
kfae8959

Postby exportmanuk » Tue May 22, 2012 6:40 pm

When I first started riding I was told ride like everyone is out to kill you. The advice was more accurate than I had anticipated and I learned the hard way. Motorcyclists ( and for that matter cyclist thought they don't often appear to appreciate it) are far more vulnerable. As a two wheel road user you learn to watch everything and everyone. Most riders with a few years experience are far more aware than equivalent car driver of what is happening around them. Most of the car drivers I see are so focused on the tail lights of the vehicle in front they have not got a clue what else is happening.

Of course there are always the exceptions in all categories, some rider I have come across on the IAM course its a wonder how they to the start point let alone survived long enough to consider taking and advanced course.
exportmanuk

Postby Rick999 » Fri May 25, 2012 9:23 am

I think road positioning as a rider is more important and also much easier to be flexible with obviously as a bike uses much less percentage of the road width. I try to present myself in a position I can see and be seen whilst still riding a good line to make progress. I think this is more important on left hand bends as on right ganders you are likely to be further away from danger though junctions on the left need to be taken into account. I dont worry about other road users I just try to assist them in seeing me. Being confident and decisive is important in my opinion.
Rick999

Postby Deer Stalker » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:36 am

Slow, crikey it's time stood still in here!

Guilty of being on TRC too much but not posted hugely of late as there doesn't seem to be the same conversations anymore - in Survival Skills the Hampshere thread has beed ongoing..
I need to think of something witty to put here - clearly my 'wit' is not working!
Deer Stalker

Postby Zebedee » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:24 pm

I agree with you about TRC. What's happened to it? The Staying Alive forum on TRC used to be lively and informative. However, now it's gone quiet except for the Hampshire thread you mentioned. Endless repeats of the hi-viz debate haven't helped either; I expect the extreme level of critical analysis has put off newbies from posting on TRC. A shame, because people like Spin and Horse have a lot of insight to contribute, which is lost in analysis paralysis.
Zebedee

Postby Horse » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:58 pm

SA 'works' because there's a larger pool of riders who occasionally need the resource. The topics reoccur because that pool gradually includes new blood.

And hi-viz threads repeat because there's a constant misunderstanding of the issue combined, often, with 'no blame, no responsibility' belief.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Mulski » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:48 pm

kfae8959 wrote:I wonder if this area could be helpful for some of us confirmed motorists to learn more about bikes and motorcycle roadcraft? It's noticeable that many of the best drivers are also riders - the coach I usually go to is reputed to be even better on two wheels than four, and as an observer and tutor, I've found that associates with motorbike experience are often quicker to pick up "advanced" driving skills.

So, what has biking got to teach us drivers? Would you take a different approach to hazards on a bike, and if so, how? Has anyone found that habits they've developed on a bike have proved useful in driving, or have some turned out to be unhelpful?

David

I would suspect that the majority of folk on here are generally more aware of motorcyclists due to the interest in applying advanced driving techniques. The people who bikers really need to reach out to are those that never consider their driving can be improved or frequent forums such as this.

Having returned to biking after a 25 yr layoff, I believe my driving skills have definitely improved as a direct consequence of riding a bike. Simple things that we SHOULD do, but will admit I only did infrequently was a shoulder check in the car, whilst on the move; I tended to just use my mirrors. I'm pretty situational aware anyway, but have found applying the shoulder check in the car in addition to mirrors has made me more proactive to situations rather than, dare I say reactive.

Whilst its focus is on bikes, I have completed a Bikesafe course, joined a local ROSPA group and currently going through my ROSPA test, something that I probably would never have done if I'd continued just being a car driver. The skills acquired doing this have crossed over very effectively to my car driving.

Cheers
Mulski

Postby Zebedee » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:51 am

Mulski, enjoy your RoSPA training! Which group are you in?

Horse, I'm not sure that 'SA' is working so well anymore, because the number of new threads appearing is low. Also, both the "robustness" of debate and level of critical analysis are off-putting for newbies. Even I find them off-putting!

That's an interesting idea about an AD UK bike day. I'd be interested, but I wonder what the uptake would be, because most local IAM and RoSPA groups run skills days and rideouts. What do others think?
Zebedee

Postby Gareth » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:48 am

Zebedee wrote:That's an interesting idea about an AD UK bike day. I'd be interested, but I wonder what the uptake would be

The interest was low when this was tried. Perhaps it's because advanced bikers have ready access to fun rides with others who are like-minded in a way that advanced drivers do not?
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Return to Advanced Motorcycling Forum