Consequences of Riding with Expired CBT

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving. IAM, RoSPA/RoADA, High Performance Course. All associated training. Motorcycle training.

Postby Slink_Pink » Fri May 31, 2013 8:57 am

A colleague of mine was asking yesterday as to the consequences of continuing to ride when CBT has expired an no test has been sat. Our guess was the following:

Assuming that the rider is stopped for some reason by the police...
1. Riding otherwise than in accordance with a licence - 3 points + fine
2. Riding without [vaild] insurance - 3 points + fine
3. Possible additional penalty for whatever the reason for the inital stop was
4. Bike seized under section something-or-other
5. A very unpleasant chat with the traffic officer

Would the "new-driver more than 6 points in the first two years = ban" also apply or is the prerequisite of actually having a licence in the first place?

Can anyone enlighten me as to the reality?
Q: "Need I remind you, 007, that you have a license to kill, not to break the traffic laws."
Slink_Pink

Postby michael769 » Fri May 31, 2013 9:30 am

The correct answer is numbers 1,3 and 5. Penalty wise #1 is 3-6 points. Generally points cannot normally be accumated (despite what is claimed in the media) so the number of points they would get would be whichever of #1 or #3 was the highest. Fines on the other hand can, so they could get seperate fines for both. Obviously it is for the police to exercise discretion as to what charges are laid and for the CPS to decide which charges are worth proceeding with so it is possible that they would only go for one of the offences. But whatever happened I doubt the offender would enjoy their interaction with the copper.

# 2 would depend on the precise wording of the policy terms. The RTA limits insurers ability to disallow third party cover and my experience is that they are reluctant, in practice, to do so for issues of this sort,
#4 - If the insurance was disallowed it could be seized for no insurance. Otherwise unlikely unless a fatality was involved.

Note that the new driver 6 points limit does not result in a ban. Instead the DVLA revokes their license entitlement forcing them to reapply for a new provisional licence and undergo their driving test(s) again. They can start this process the moment they are notified of the revocation as there is no ban to serve out. It only applies to any points accumulated in the two years after passing their first test of any type. So there are a few senarios to cover:

1. Only holds a provisional: Points before passing the first test do not count for new driver revocation, but would still count for totting up if they hit 12 before or after passing a test
2. Has passed a car test in the last 2 years: Points would count for new driver revocation(of the car licence).
3. has passed a car test more than 2 years ago Points would not count for new driver revocation.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby Slink_Pink » Fri May 31, 2013 8:29 pm

So would they not sieze the bike to prevent further offences being commited - i.e. person riding off and therefore falling foul of #1 again?
Q: "Need I remind you, 007, that you have a license to kill, not to break the traffic laws."
Slink_Pink

Postby michael769 » Fri May 31, 2013 9:03 pm

[url][/url]
Slink_Pink wrote:So would they not sieze the bike to prevent further offences being commited - i.e. person riding off and therefore falling foul of #1 again?

They would have no lawful authority to do so.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Return to Advanced Motorcycling Forum