Revs or torque for twisties?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving. IAM, RoSPA/RoADA, High Performance Course. All associated training. Motorcycle training.

Postby Mulski » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:38 pm

During my last ROSPA assessed ride, my instructor asked what gear I was in going through a series of twisties which ranged from c.45-55mph corners with very short straights up to NSL. When I said I was running them in top (5th gear), she said I was in too high a gear and needed to drop to 4th, and only go up to 5th for long straights.

I am running a Honda Pan European (ST1300) and during the above scenario, the revs were running between 3-4k, whereas she said I should running between a minimum of 4-6k (Red Line is 8.5K). My view is that the torque the Pan generates is more than sufficient to pick up smartly, and does generate smooth engine braking when rolling off, yet she wasn't convinced despite accelerating away from her on a few occasions, due to the torque. Additionally, whilst not an Eco-warrior, I do also factor effective fuel consumption management as an aspect we should be apply in advanced riding.

Would interested to hear others views on this.

Cheers
Mulski

Postby jont » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:19 am

Is this road fairly local to you? If so, go back and try it again in the other gear and see what you think/feel.
jont

Postby exportmanuk » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:35 am

We come across this quite often litre plus bike are more than capable of riding through a series of bends in high gears but most riders admit having tried it the bike is more controllable in a gear that keeps the revs in the middle of the range. This makes them smoother through the corners.

As for difference in fuel consumption you may find you actually use more fuel in higher gears at low revs as the engine has to work harder
exportmanuk

Return to Advanced Motorcycling Forum