DIAmond Diploma in Advanced Motorcycle Instruction

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving. IAM, RoSPA/RoADA, High Performance Course. All associated training. Motorcycle training.

Postby Zebedee » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:02 pm

Not so long ago, DIAmond launched its Diploma in Advanced Motorcycle Instruction. Does anybody know what's become of this?

www.deauvilleuk.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=16181

It was billed as being even more comprehensive/harder than a RoSPA Diploma, but DIAmond doesn't appear to marketed its diploma at all.
Zebedee

Postby Zebedee » Fri May 16, 2014 7:57 pm

I guess DIAmond Advanced and Special tests are dying a death, are they? If anyone had been interested in the Special test, I guess they would now take the IAM Masters programme instead.

Who's ever done a DIAmond test? Even the BMF Blue Riband seems more popular and, unfortunately, it's been ages since the BMF marketed its Blue Riband qualification.
Zebedee

Postby Horse » Fri May 16, 2014 10:18 pm

The BMF-RTS was, historically, developed by and from the voluntary end of the business (to be fair, back 1982 when the RTS was formed there was hardly any full-time training).

As training requirements tightened it became more difficult to offer a competitive service, so the vvoluntary groups faded away.

Along with that, it's difficult for professional trainers to provide such low-cost advanced training against the IAM Groups unless they have something different to offer - examples being Rapid Training and Keith Code's CSS (which is international).
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Andy » Tue May 20, 2014 5:47 pm

I spoke to Mike Frisby, Chief Examiner at the DIA, a number of times a couple of years ago about becoming a Motorcycle Examiner for them and during these chats, he described his ambition to heavily promote their bike tests but haven't heard anything from him for a year or more so assume nothing is happening.

With regard to the BMF Blue Riband, I completed the assessments required to become a Blue Riband Examiner and BMF approved training provider but despite both Alan Wright (Blue Riband Chief Examiner) and Rachel (in the office) being excellent, I ultimately decided not to pay the £200 annual fee to become a BMF approved training provider as I couldn't see a return on it. Unfortunately, Blue Riband isn't known at all in these parts, BMF don't do any promotion (not that the others do either) and even their website on which my details would be entered doesn't make a distinction between learner and advanced training providers.

In my experience, you're lucky if people have heard of IAM or RoSPA, with virtually no hope of anyone ever having heard of DIAmond or Blue Riband.

As for a DIAmond Diploma, I've never even heard of it!
Andy Stoll
Advanced Motorcycle Instructor
Derbyshire Advanced Rider Training
Andy

Postby Horse » Tue May 20, 2014 6:03 pm

Andy wrote: With regard to the BMF Blue Riband, I completed the assessments required to become a Blue Riband Examiner and BMF approved training provider but despite both Alan Wright (Blue Riband Chief Examiner) and Rachel (in the office) being excellent, I ultimately decided not to pay the £200 annual fee to become a BMF approved training provider as I couldn't see a return on it. Unfortunately, Blue Riband isn't known at all in these parts, BMF don't do any promotion (not that the others do either)

As a matter of interest, I was the original national co-ordinator from 1988-1993, preceding Alan by several years.

At that time, we did a fair bit (given shoestring budget & amateur status) of advertising. I arranged that Blue Riband only centre would be possible, which allowed us to take on several ex-Star Rider centres that had gone independent, and allowed others to come under the umbrella (such as the Bedfordshire 'BAAMI' association.

However, times changed and I believe some of the arrangements I put in place were altered.

A big turning point was the RTS's inability to offer liability insurance, so many - ironically - went to DIA! (Including me and all of my instructors).
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Zebedee » Sun May 25, 2014 8:00 pm

Horse wrote:it's difficult for professional trainers to provide such low-cost advanced training against the IAM Groups unless they have something different to offer

That's a general rule for selling any product. Unless you can differentiate your product, then you're not going to sell it. To sell anything successfully, you need to offer something near-unique that people value.

The IAM offers a good product: a well recognised qualification, combined with a good social side, all for a modest investment. RoSPA offers a good product: it's differentiated itself through the cachet of its Gold qualification, "not being the IAM" and a good social side, all for very little cost.

BMF Blue Riband at least offers a professionally-taught programme. Although relatively unknown, some BMF members will be aware of it through the BMF magazine.

What does DIAmond offer?

Without a structured programme like Blue Riband, it's unclear how to prepare for a DIAmond test. If DIAmond offered a well structured and professionally taught programme, combined with an advanced badge as a goal, then it might have something distinct to market. Many people like a badge for goal setting. And a well structured, professionally taught programme would differentiate it from the IAM and RoSPA's amateur observers/tutors. Mind you, DIAmond would still need marketing too.

Out of curiosity, I once considered having a go at the Special test, but it was totally unclear to me how I should prepare for the test. (The DIA's website showed no DIAmond instructors nearby.) I could neither discern what would be considered a fault in the test nor whether my Roadcraft positioning would be acceptable. So I didn't bother.

In short, not only does DIAmond need more promotion, but it needs to be much clearer about how to reach the required standard. Just stating "no more than two minor faults" isn't clear.

Perhaps Andy could add some clarity or ask Mike Frisby to post on here. He'd be a valuable contributor to this forum.
Zebedee

Postby fungus » Sun May 25, 2014 9:07 pm

Zebedee wrote:Out of curiosity, I once considered having a go at the Special test, but it was totally unclear to me how I should prepare for the test. (The DIA's website showed no DIAmond instructors nearby.) I could neither discern what would be considered a fault in the test nor whether my Roadcraft positioning would be acceptable. In short, not only does DIAmond need more promotion, but it needs to be much clearer about how to reach the required standard. Just stating "no more than two minor faults" isn't clear.

I only know the differences for cars, not bikes, but I would imagine that the differences are similar.

The DIA use the DSA, (now DSVA) system. There will be differences between the DIA/DVSA, and Roadcraft. For example the DVSA advise against going out to the white line when approaching a left hand bend, whereas Roadcraft advise to do so if safe. Straighlining is also discouraged.

There are too many scenarios to list, but to give an example of a fault. The candidate slightly cuts a corner when turning right from a major road into a minor road. The sight line is good and open and there is no other road user around, so no one was affected. Fault, driver error (minor fault). The same scenario but this time there is an approaching motorist just far enough away not to be directly affected, but there could be the potential for danger. This would more than likely be marked as a serious error, and the test failed. Again, the same scenario, but this time the oncoming motorist is forced to brake or change position. Dangerous fault, test failed.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby vonhosen » Sun May 25, 2014 10:08 pm

fungus wrote:
Zebedee wrote:Out of curiosity, I once considered having a go at the Special test, but it was totally unclear to me how I should prepare for the test. (The DIA's website showed no DIAmond instructors nearby.) I could neither discern what would be considered a fault in the test nor whether my Roadcraft positioning would be acceptable. In short, not only does DIAmond need more promotion, but it needs to be much clearer about how to reach the required standard. Just stating "no more than two minor faults" isn't clear.

I only know the differences for cars, not bikes, but I would imagine that the differences are similar.

The DIA use the DSA, (now DSVA) system. There will be differences between the DIA/DVSA, and Roadcraft. For example the DVSA advise against going out to the white line when approaching a left hand bend, whereas Roadcraft advise to do so if safe. Straighlining is also discouraged.

There are too many scenarios to list, but to give an example of a fault. The candidate slightly cuts a corner when turning right from a major road into a minor road. The sight line is good and open and there is no other road user around, so no one was affected. Fault, driver error (minor fault). The same scenario but this time there is an approaching motorist just far enough away not to be directly affected, but there could be the potential for danger. This would more than likely be marked as a serious error, and the test failed. Again, the same scenario, but this time the oncoming motorist is forced to brake or change position. Dangerous fault, test failed.

You missed first rung on the fault ladder, fault - not worthy of recording.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Return to Advanced Motorcycling Forum