Minimum Standard Bike for Advanced Riding?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving. IAM, RoSPA/RoADA, High Performance Course. All associated training. Motorcycle training.

Postby The Thinker » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:12 am

I am about to sit my DSA bike test soon and ,hopefully, after that I will want to try advanced riding. Some of the websites I have looked at suggest that the standard bike is not good enough to do an advanced test on as a 125cc engine does not meet motorway or NSL speeds easily.

Does anyone know if this is the case.
The Thinker

Postby Roadcraft » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:18 am

There shouldn't be a problem to do an advanced test on a 125cc machine..as nearly every one manufactured will achieve 70mph.

However, it's not ideal and personally I'd suggest yoiu build some on-road riding experience on your 125 before opting for something bigger.

Suggestions:

Honda CB500S
Suzuki GS500
Kawasaki GPZ500
Suzuki GXS600F

Get some more experience on the bigger machine and then consider your IAM or RoSPA advanced riding course.
Roadcraft

Postby JamesH » Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:27 pm

I know nothing about bikes, but thought I'd throw in some thoughts from the car side...

You drive in an "advanced" fashion in any car. The difference with the more powerful vehicles, as demonstrated to me yesterday by several HPC members, is that you are likely to get more opportunities for overtakes, as you know you can accelerate more briskly.

Obviously bikes have considerably more acceleration anyway, but within the confines of posted limits I'm not sure what effect only being on a 125 would have.
JamesH

Postby The Thinker » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:45 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I'm quite a big person so the bike I have can reach 55 easily although after that it does take time to add speed. I think I'll potter about on the bike I have for a while and build up some no claims, then do advanced riding.
The Thinker

Postby rlmr » Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:39 pm

There used to be a limit (think it was 200cc) below which the machine could not be used for an IAM test. This was set some time ago and was based on the machine's ability to cope with Motorway Speeds with all manner of riders.

This was reviewed a few years ago due to the technological improvements and increased power available from the smaller capacity machines.

However, as JamesH mentions, the opportunities to overtake etc. are increased when one uses a more powerful machine. Something which gets up to motorway speed reasonably quickly and can maintain it should suffice, but something which is capable of much more does give the rider a considerable safety margin to work with and will not strain the machine.

Again per the earlier post... get your DSA and log up a few hours then contact your local IAM / RoSPA Group and progress to the Advanced style.

...and watch out for other road users - very few actually see motorcycles :evil:
Rennie Ritchie
Home Page

IAM Examiner for Cars, Bikes, Lorries and Buses since 1986
rlmr

Postby christopherwk » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:42 am

I think the IAM requires a motorbike which will get up to and sustain the national speed limit, so a 125cc should suffice (depending what one).

However, the local IAM group may think otherwise, and may have a minimum limit for engine size, mine was 189cc, I think. My first bike was a Honda Varadero 125cc, and although it could do 70mph (eventually), I was told to come back when I bought a bigger bike (I was going to buy one anyway), so they can see good progress being made in the nationals and overtakes.
christopherwk

Postby BillZZR600 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:16 am

You say you already have your 125 bike, but once you have sat your test you are then allowed to ride anything up to 33bhp as opposed to your current machines lrgal limit of IIRK 12.5. So you could flog the 125 and get something larger ( probably a restricted 400 model there are lots out there 2nd hand for that reason) to further your training.

You dont say what age you are Thinker, as that can make a difference, not to IAM or RoADAR (RoSPA) but as to the DSA test you are sitting.

If you are 21 or over you could after your 125 test then do a DAS course where as long as you are accompanied by your instructor you can (and must) ride a machine of 44bhp and sit your test which then opens possibilities up to anything you fancy.

Otherwise you will have to wait two years (or reach 21) on the 33bhp before being allowed to ride anything bigger .
Kawasaki ZZR600/Renault Laguna 1.8i
RoADAR Advanced Rider (Gold)
RoADAR Aproved (Motorcycle) Tutor
RoADAR Advanced Driver (Gold)
RoADAR Aproved (Car) Tutor
BillZZR600

Postby The Thinker » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:36 am

I am old enough for the Direct Access Route, which is the way I am going. The 125 is for practise in between sessions. Even though it is a different bike it is proving useful for areas I needed to practice on. I probably will upgrade it but not for a while. Get some more bike experience then do an advanced course.
The Thinker

Postby Dandu71 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:44 am

When I undertook the IAM test (10 years ago now) I did it on an old Suzuki GSX250. You don`t see any these days `cos they`re mainly scrap!! But it was in excellent condition and could just touch 75, albeit with a tailwind!!

I do agree there has to be a bit more power for you to make the better progess but I`m always one to say it`s not WHAT`S being ridden it`s HOW it`s being ridden. The IAM Examiner will be looking for you to make the most of your machine and the power you have available.
LGV C+E
IAM Car
IAM Motorcycle
DIAmond Advanced
DIAmond Special
Dandu71

Postby The Thinker » Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:06 pm

For those who like closure.

I passed the DSA test today. The plan now is to get some experience then do an advanced award.
The Thinker

Postby rlmr » Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:38 pm

Well done. Enjoy your riding, but take care... no matter how in the right you are, bikers come off worse in any conflict situation.

Rennie
rlmr

Postby PeteG » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:20 pm

Agreed. Who was it on here who said "ride like everyone is out to get you - and the ones who are will probably miss"?
PeteG

Postby BillZZR600 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:35 pm

PeteG wrote:Agreed. Who was it on here who said "ride like everyone is out to get you - and the ones who are will probably miss"?

Me I think LOL

Well done Thinker
Kawasaki ZZR600/Renault Laguna 1.8i
RoADAR Advanced Rider (Gold)
RoADAR Aproved (Motorcycle) Tutor
RoADAR Advanced Driver (Gold)
RoADAR Aproved (Car) Tutor
BillZZR600

Return to Advanced Motorcycling Forum