IAM AD Test (motorcycle) - overseas' assessment

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving. IAM, RoSPA/RoADA, High Performance Course. All associated training. Motorcycle training.

Postby willie » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:49 pm

I'm UK citizen, working in Hong Kong. Propose taking the IAM Advanced Riding Test (Motorcycle) in Hong Kong. In fact, I can take it in UK (applying for UK membership), but to save travelling time / flight cost, is it possible to make prior appointment / arrangement with IAM/UK to take the test in Hong Kong under their UK examiner (by paying a fee / administrative cost i.e test fee, travelling and living expenses of the examiner in Hong Kong)?
willie

Postby dombooth » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:11 pm

Hi,

There is a Honk Hong IAM

http://www.iam.org.uk/iam-groups/international-groups

I don't know the process, but it would be best to speak with either them, or IAM UK head office direct.

Dom
Dominic Booth
Chesterfield IAM Chairman & Webmaster
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

ALL OF MY POSTS ARE OF MY OPINION ONLY AND NOT THAT OF MY GROUP UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.
dombooth

Postby Horse » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:12 pm

I've passed the query on to someone who was heavily involved with high-standard motorcycling in HK until a few years ago.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby willie » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:16 pm

Horse wrote:I've passed the query on to someone who was heavily involved with high-standard motorcycling in HK until a few years ago.

your message noted, thank you so much

the reason why i chosen not to approach the Hong Kong IAM is that i am looking for a UK IAM membership, instead a local (Hong Kong) one
willie

Postby Andy » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:38 pm

Hi Willie,

I was working in Singapore until a few weeks ago but might still be able to help with your preparatory training for the IAM test, either in the UK or HK. Drop me an email or PM directly if you'd like a chat.

Cheers, Andy
Andy Stoll
Advanced Motorcycle Instructor
Derbyshire Advanced Rider Training
Andy

Postby Horse » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:28 pm

willie wrote:
Horse wrote:I've passed the query on to someone who was heavily involved with high-standard motorcycling in HK until a few years ago.

the reason why i chosen not to approach the Hong Kong IAM is that i am looking for a UK IAM membership, instead a local (Hong Kong) one

Fairynuff.

As per the PM, consider as part of a holiday here?
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby willie » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:54 pm

Horse wrote:
willie wrote:

Fairynuff.

As per the PM, consider as part of a holiday here?

I consider taking the test in Hong Kong with two local partners who are working in a government fleet (one of them is also involved with high standard motorcycling in HK, taking a training and leading role in a governmental motorcycle demonstration / display team) and I can share the cost with them / him.
willie

Postby Horse » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:54 am

Any further along with this, willie?
Horse

Postby willie » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:03 pm

Horse wrote:Any further along with this, willie?

wrote to IAM/UK (illustrating the case and request) and is pending for their reply
willie

Postby willie » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:59 am

willie wrote:

wrote to IAM/UK (illustrating the case and request) and is pending for their reply

We wrote to IAM/UK and said we wish to take the test in Hong Kong (by UK examiners). We knew that IAM head office do not have examiners based out in the UK. Meanwhile, the candidate(s) in Hong Kong is/are willing to pay a sort of special/overseas/international rate for the test PLUS travel days, flights, expenses and accommodation (although this could prove fairly expensive).

In return (a week ago), IAM head office replied and explained that as a small charity, they are unable to release a member of staff to conduct the test(s).

Any suggestions / proposals ?
willie

Postby martine » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:56 am

willie wrote:In return (a week ago), IAM head office replied and explained that as a small charity, they are unable to release a member of staff to conduct the test(s).

Wow - I wonder if they actually asked any examiners if they fancy an all expenses paid trip to HK (if that's what you're offering).

Sorry if I missed it but you have contacted IAM Hong Kong I assume?

http://www.iam.org.uk/drivers/motorists-courses/advanced-driving/10008-groups-old

Your offer to pay expenses would work out very expensive wouldn't it - even divided by 3 - you'd be looking at close to £1000 each wouldn't you?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Horse » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:47 pm

willie wrote:
willie wrote:

We wrote to IAM/UK and said we wish to take the test in Hong Kong (by UK examiners). We knew that IAM head office do not have examiners based out in the UK. Meanwhile, the candidate(s) in Hong Kong is/are willing to pay a sort of special/overseas/international rate for the test PLUS travel days, flights, expenses and accommodation (although this could prove fairly expensive).

In return (a week ago), IAM head office replied and explained that as a small charity, they are unable to release a member of staff to conduct the test(s).

If you're desperate to have IAM membership (is there a particular reason?), then you need to make it worthwhile for the examiner. Perhaps pay for a small ad in the IAM magazine, asking whether a bike examiner is interested in combining an examining trip with a holiday?

Have you considered RoSPA/RoDAR?
Horse

Postby willie » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:59 pm

for RoSPA, need re-test every three years
willie

Postby Horse » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:51 pm

OK, good point. The follow-up question, then, is "Do you need continuous membership of such an organisation?"
Horse

Postby willie » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:56 am

Affirmative, i need continuous membership of IAM/UK.

Can I work it out if there is any IAM motorbike examiner (UK) who showed interest in this event could help with that? In other words, I shall try locating an examiner and then apply to either a) IAM head office, or b) the examiner's local IAM Group e.g. Britol / Southamption IAM Group ....... ?
willie

Next

Return to Advanced Motorcycling Forum