IAM to drop requirement for 'progress'

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving. IAM, RoSPA/RoADA, High Performance Course. All associated training. Motorcycle training.

Postby jcochrane » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:09 pm

akirk wrote:An interesting example played out today on the same stretch of road on which I overtook a string of cars last week... as I approached that straight there are some tight bends, then some gradual bends - I had already carried out an overtake earlier and had held back while cars filtered off into a local attraction - a white astra van ahead of me proceeded to carry out three overtakes on blind corners, and the wrong way further unsighting himself
we then came to the straight - he was already ahead of the traffic, but could have passed it there - from further back I passed several cars, but approaching the last van it was too close to a corner / drop to 50mph and approaching temporary traffic lights, so I went back into 'bimble mode' :) The Astra van overtook again as cars were braking for the temporary lights... then beyond them he passed three tractors each towing a long flatbed hay trailer, and two cars - approaching a blind bend and unsighted - I stayed back...

I had probably 2 x the power of his car, but would not have taken any of those overtakes, he was phenomenally lucky as it is a road on which motorbikes regularly do 100+ it was a busy day and he had all the overtakes with no traffic approaching around the corner...

was he making progress? was I making progress? ultimately he got ahead of me by a long way but he risked death 5 times in 2 miles, I still made considerable progress, had times of sitting back and times of passing... hopefully mine was more AD - it is not all about speed at all costs

Alasdair

Yes, AD :D Knowing your drive I bet it was all easy, stress free, normal every day driving to a very advanced level for you. :D
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:29 pm

Off topic - can we please consider whether the need exists to quote an entire 50 line post just to reply to a small point within it, often just replying to the other poster saying "I agree". If you need to quote, perhaps consider cutting out just the salient portion which prompts you to reply.

Thanks
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:38 pm

mefoster wrote:Nah! That'll never catch on.

Perhaps if we introduce it as "Advanced" and tell them that's the way it's taught in the Police? :P

PS: "bottom posting" ? :shock:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Gareth » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:52 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:PS: "bottom posting" ? :shock:

People who don't think when they reply to, for example, emails, often add their replies before the content they're replying to. Clearly, in their world, the norm is to expect the reader to start reading from the bottom in order to understand the context of their reply. This was the bane of usenet denizens as it's popularity exploded.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby jont » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:57 pm

mefoster wrote:A wise man once said, "Top-Posting because 'that's where Outlook puts the cursor' is like shitting your pants because your arse happens to be in them."

GAIDMG :lol: Can't believe I haven't heard that one before.
jont

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:15 pm

mefoster wrote:Not sure if that's a genuine query? or a Mayallesque pun.

Both! :lol:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby triquet » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:33 pm

OH God, now we're into Advanced Posting (AP). :shock:
Jim
Offshore Engineer and Master of Music
triquet

Postby MGF » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:57 pm

Gareth wrote:
TripleS wrote:So, a driver who takes and passes an advanced test, ceases to be an advanced driver if he subsequently elects to drive part of the time in a leisurely fashion?

If, by leisurely, you mean the driver isn't paying attention to the road and other road users, isn't trying to be systematic when approaching hazards, isn't smooth and considered in the use of controls, then I'd agree.

Is it possible to drive to advanced standards - whatever they may be - without putting yourself under some pressure? I often struggle to identify the threshold between laziness and a planned approach that doesn't optimise progress.
MGF

Postby triquet » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:04 pm

Yes.

I think that one can have a remarkably laid-back and unstressed drive if you are in the right frame of mind. We frequently do the drive from chez nous just South of Abingdon to visit son and daughterinlaw and the grandsprogs in York. There are many alternative routes. Sometimes it screws up, but sometimes we just "progress" along in a sort of observational bubble and seem to get there quite quickly without stretching speed limits or raised blood pressure.
Jim
Offshore Engineer and Master of Music
triquet

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:17 pm

I think the "advanced" approach is usually more than skin-deep in people who truly embrace AD. Even when relaxed, there's more observation going on than is usual with Joe Public, and the lack of stress is partly down to improved anticipation and planning. As the title of the thread implies, it's not necessary to be fully "on it" 100% of the time to deliver and advanced drive. It's about smooth unobtrusive progress through the traffic, always within the safety bubble referred to above.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Gareth » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:25 pm

MGF wrote:Is it possible to drive to advanced standards - whatever they may be - without putting yourself under some pressure?

I tend to think that for an IAM or RoADAR advanced test, one needs to be driving as if one is under time pressure, as a means to demonstrate that even in a stressful situation one can still do a fine job of driving.

There are two follow-on points, though, that are also worth considering. The first is that it is possible to be totally involved with the driving task even when one isn't under time pressure, while the second is that there can be a difference between the outwards signs and the amount of internal processing. The oft-used metaphor is that of a swan gliding serenely yet, hidden from view, is paddling furiously!

MGF wrote:I often struggle to identify the threshold between laziness and a planned approach that doesn't optimise progress.

A planned approach might be seeing possibilities far enough in advance that they can be used without the impression of haste, if that helps. You know that feeling, when things just seem to line up and fall into place without you doing anything? It's probable that you're doing a lot, without necessarily being conscious of it.
Gareth

Postby jcochrane » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:52 pm

A stress free but progressive drive was put by one poster here as a "relaxed yet swift drive".
At least I think that's what he meant which sounds a rather eloquent and better way of putting it. :D
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby akirk » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:02 pm

we need to also differentiate between stressed driving and tiring / concentrating driving
- stressed driving would suggest a driver who is not comfortable in the setting - external stresses, or stresses caused by the environment - a car about to break down / stuck in traffic / someone else cutting you up / conditions the driver finds difficult - speed / difficult road / too much traffic / etc.
- tiring / concentrating driving might come from focus and that may indeed result from driving in an AD style -certainly the courses I have done have been tiring - sitting back in a queue of traffic may not require that full concentration, however it will still take a certain amount of concentration... but either way it should not be stressful

Alasdair
akirk

Postby Gareth » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:31 am

StressedDave wrote:Personally I think you're all putting the cart before the horse. Progress comes from getting all the observation, assessment and planning right, not a decision to drive progressively.

While I agree, the idea of being under time pressure is handy as it explains to people preparing for IAM and RoADAR tests that the aim is to continuously look for and use opportunities to make progress.
Gareth

Postby waremark » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:36 am

I cannot reconcile the term Advanced Driver with a 45 mph everywhere bimble. There has to be an answer to the Associate who says ' why would I speed up here when I am soon going to have to slow down again?' My answer is that you must be able to show that you have the skill and judgement to drive safely and smoothly when you are in a hurry.
waremark

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Motorcycling Forum