Jammed centre stand on my Honda CBF

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving. IAM, RoSPA/RoADA, High Performance Course. All associated training. Motorcycle training.

Postby christopherwk » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:00 pm

I'm about to get my Honda CBF600 to it's service, and asked them to replace and fit a new centrestand.

This is my third new centrestand, from when I had the bike from new (now 32,000 miles), and wondering why they keep jamming and getting stuck. It's now stuck in a dangerous position, where it scrapes along the ground, if l lean around a corner far enough.

The dealer said it could have been damaged in an accident (I have none that I know of on the bike). I've a feeling it could have been damaged while going over high speed humps? Or perhaps I heard, that centre stands need regreasing every so often? If so, how often and where? The bike is almost two years old, by the way.

Is this a common problem with Honda centrestands? I'd like to hear from those, especially those with the same or similar bike (CBF500/600/1000/Hornet).

Many thanks.
christopherwk

Postby SammyTheSnake » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:34 am

christopherwk wrote:This is my third new centrestand, from when I had the bike from new (now 32,000 miles)

[...]

The bike is almost two years old, by the way.

Three centre stands in two years is rediculous. I'm on my first centre stand after over a decade (And about the same mileage - what are you doing to the poor thing :-p) though my biike's a diversion, so it's obviously not the same thing.

In terms of greasing, I wouldn't expect to have to grease any part of the bike that doesn't get heavy usage more than once a year (the chain being the obvious example of something that needs lubricating far more often) and certainly don't think it's reasonable to expect it to rust/cease/whatever in that time even if you missed out all the lubricating.

In terms of being damaged by speed bumps, perhaps it's swinging down as you go over them (if you do it with *ahem* a degree of gusto) and if this is the case, perhaps it might be worth considering using cable ties or such to hold it in the up position until you need to use it?

Do you use the centre stand a lot, or do you tend to park on the side stand and only use the centre stand when there's a particular reason (this is what I do)?

Consider finding a honda specific newsgroup or something to ask on, you may find more people who've had a chance to come across the same issue...

Cheers & God bless
Sam "SammyTheSnake" Penny
DSA A 2003/08/01 - first go
Zach 2003-2006 - 1995 Diversion 600
DSA B 2007/03/05 - second go
Ninny 2007-2008 - Focus TDDI
Unnamed 2008- Mk3 1.4 Golf
http://www.sampenny.co.uk/
SammyTheSnake

Postby christopherwk » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:16 pm

Hmm, when the centre stand did work, it did hold in position fairly well, so I don’t think it would be swinging down. Also, I use a scottoiler (just as well, given the mileage), so perhaps the oil gets on to the centre stand, attracts all kind of muck and mud, which causes it to jam the spring and other mechanisms?

It’s heavyish bike (200kg), so I tend to use the side stand when parking up, but use the centre stand when parking in the garage to save space.

PS Used to be a courier on it, and I’m getting back on it again because the van is off the road.
christopherwk

Return to Advanced Motorcycling Forum