Back amongst the bikers.

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving. IAM, RoSPA/RoADA, High Performance Course. All associated training. Motorcycle training.

Postby Rick » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:36 pm

Well after hanging up my leathers on the road a couple of years ago. And then selling my track bike, i thought i'd ridden my last. But... i have had a switch of work placement so i decided tto get a little bike to commute on. I have today picked up a 1998 CB500!! Well i wasn't expecting much from it, and it is certainly no R1 but i must say i am impressed with its alround ability. Great little bike for a beginner or even an old biker like myself. And the missus has even said she may risk a ride on the back! The best thing i like is that is doesn't beg to be ridden at licence losing speeds all the time unlike many of my previous bikes.
Rick

Postby Advanced Roadcraft » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:37 pm

...but a sincere 'Welcome Back' to the fold!

Puts a grin on your face doesn't it!!

Best - & 'Ride Safe', B
Best, B
Car: Saab 9.3 Coupe
Bikes: Honda Deauville; Suzuki Bugman 400
Advanced Roadcraft

Postby Nigel » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:20 pm

Welcome back Rick, from someone who was absent for twenty years !

My experiences are almost embarrasing, I need a sign for the back saying yes I know its above learner size....but leave me alone, I haven't ridden for a long time !

I'd forgotten how bumpy the roads are, how strong the wind is, the need to put your feet down when you stop, the fact you feel enclosed, but can hear everything as if your outside (people talking whilst walking etc)........how to go around corners.....I'm amazed at just how bad at this I am, and this from someone who used to scrape the silencers on his le-mans !

The main experience I'm surprised by is just how "blinkered" I feel with that crash helmet on.......I dont remember that one.

But even with all this.....its absolutely thrilling....once the helmets on I'm 19 again (until I see myself in a reflection....and think who's that fat old git on my bike ?)
Nigel

Postby Rick » Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:03 pm

I do find i'm actually much more concerned about other vehicles in my proximity than i remembered. (though a fair bit today was motorway) I do however think i may look at IAM for the M/C. I went straight to HPC in the car but i feel IAM or RoADA may be the best way on the bike. That is if my little baby counts as a bike ;)
Rick

Postby Advanced Roadcraft » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:28 pm

Rick wrote:I do find i'm actually much more concerned about other vehicles in my proximity than i remembered. (though a fair bit today was motorway) I do however think i may look at IAM for the M/C. I went straight to HPC in the car but i feel IAM or RoADA may be the best way on the bike. That is if my little baby counts as a bike ;)

If it's got 2wheels (and an engine!) it's a bike...and you are now a motorcyclist.
Do the IAM/ROADA/BMF thing: you'll both benefit and enjoy.
Best, B
Best, B
Car: Saab 9.3 Coupe
Bikes: Honda Deauville; Suzuki Bugman 400
Advanced Roadcraft

Postby Rick » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:27 pm

I'm going to look into that now, hopefully there will be somewhere localish to do it. Watch this space i'll keep people informed.
Rick

Postby BillZZR600 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:21 am

Welcome Home Rick :wink:

And like Advanced Roadcraft says

If it's got 2wheels (and an engine!) it's a bike...and you are now a motorcyclist.
Do the IAM/ROADA/BMF thing: you'll both benefit and enjoy.

Its you that gets the training not the bike. :lol:
Kawasaki ZZR600/Renault Laguna 1.8i
RoADAR Advanced Rider (Gold)
RoADAR Aproved (Motorcycle) Tutor
RoADAR Advanced Driver (Gold)
RoADAR Aproved (Car) Tutor
BillZZR600

Postby Rick » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:28 am

I have now been in touch with my local IAM group and will shortly be getting my Skills for life package. :D
Rick

Postby Nigel » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:59 pm

I've been in touch with my local IAM group too, well a month or so ago.

They advised that I get used to riding again, before looking at advanced training, this will take a while, as I'm a sunny weekend biker, although they have offered that I can pop along any Sunday morning and they'll get someone to come out for a ride with me.
Nigel

Postby Rick » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:56 pm

I've just purchased my "skills for life" package... so i guess I'AM on my way!
Rick

Postby AdamW » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:10 am

Rick wrote: even an old biker like myself.

Your not that old surely. :wink: :lol:
Despite their large numbers ants flow freely because of their understanding and purpose. As a driver your job is to move in, within, and out of the flow of traffic causing the minimum disruption and upset to others. Everyone then benefits, including you.
AdamW

Postby Rick » Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:37 pm

42 in November!!

Anyway... moving on, i received my Skills for life package today and will be contacting my local group after digesting the enclosed guidance.
Rick

Postby AdamW » Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:42 pm

Rick wrote:42 in November!!

Anyway... moving on, i received my Skills for life package today and will be contacting my local group after digesting the enclosed guidance.

Flipping heck.

Anyway... Which is your local group?

Surely you must be bored to go to the IAM being an HPC member? :o
Despite their large numbers ants flow freely because of their understanding and purpose. As a driver your job is to move in, within, and out of the flow of traffic causing the minimum disruption and upset to others. Everyone then benefits, including you.
AdamW

Postby Rick » Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:46 pm

Lincolnshire Advanced M/C is my local group. I am doing IAM first and then probably going to look for a similar thing to HPC for bikes. I have been told one of the highly respected HPC members is a very keen motorcyclist. Though i think i may need a machine upgrade... oh well :lol:
Rick

Postby AdamW » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:02 pm

Well good luck mate. Let us know how you get on.

:)
AdamW

Return to Advanced Motorcycling Forum