Slow speed manoeuvring

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving. IAM, RoSPA/RoADA, High Performance Course. All associated training. Motorcycle training.

Postby AlistairL » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:40 pm

Hi Folks,

I drive a nice old R1100RS, a ten year old BMW boxer twin. I'm working on my slow speed maneovering which involves a bit of revs, a bit of clutch and a variety of rear brake.

I'm finding it tricky finding the right revs that aren't too noisy, but avoiding the lumpiness at low revs.

Any tips, or should I stick at the practice, practice, practice?

Thanks

Alistair.
AlistairL

Postby Advanced Roadcraft » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:10 pm

AlistairL wrote:Hi Folks,

I drive a nice old R1100RS, a ten year old BMW boxer twin. I'm working on my slow speed maneovering which involves a bit of revs, a bit of clutch and a variety of rear brake.

I'm finding it tricky finding the right revs that aren't too noisy, but avoiding the lumpiness at low revs.

Thanks

Alistair.

Constant revs - enough to keep the engine 'busy' (say 1500rpm on the R1100RS?)...constant clutch position (a tad over the bite point)...and all speed control via the rear brake (& never touch the front one)

And, yeah, 'practice, practice, practice'...but let the old girl rest between every three - four exercizes so you don't overheat that dry-plate clutch.

Best, B
Advanced Roadcraft

Postby SammyTheSnake » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:59 am

Advanced Roadcraft wrote:
AlistairL wrote:Hi Folks,

Thanks

Alistair.

Constant revs - enough to keep the engine 'busy' (say 1500rpm on the R1100RS?)...constant clutch position (a tad over the bite point)...and all speed control via the rear brake (& never touch the front one)

And, yeah, 'practice, practice, practice'...but let the old girl rest between every three - four exercizes so you don't overheat that dry-plate clutch.

Best, B

Agreed with that.

In addition, in common with any exercise where the sense of balance is being trained, keep your head and eyes up, don't look down, don't hunch. The taller your body is, the better your sense of balance will seem to be.

Also, practice doing everything as slowly as you can manage. When you're driving out and about normally, see how slowly you can come up to red traffic lights, see if you can be completely stopped before you put a foot down, and make it the one you meant to put down, and not rushed. All this will make those slow maneouvres seem less precarious.

That's how I learned to be good at riding a 6ft unicycle (with only one scar :D) that's how I used to be able to turn my raleigh racer (Rust in Pieces) in a circle slightly *smaller* in radius than the wheelbase!

On a slightly different note, I have a wet clutch, does that mean I'm less likely to overheat it? I've often wondered if sitting at traffic lights on the bite point is a Bad Idea, or if it's just a handy way to help my engine warm up more quickly...

Cheers & God bless
Sam "SammyTheSnake" Penny
DSA A 2003/08/01 - first go
Zach 2003-2006 - 1995 Diversion 600
DSA B 2007/03/05 - second go
Ninny 2007-2008 - Focus TDDI
Unnamed 2008- Mk3 1.4 Golf
http://www.sampenny.co.uk/
SammyTheSnake

Postby christopherwk » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:18 pm

Also a good idea to grip the fuel tank with your knees, might make it easier. If you're practising slow riding in preparation for the IAM test, the examiner may not always require you do it. The examiner can see how good your slow riding is during the test by looking at the way you stop at junctions and traffic lights, and if you have control of the bike. If the examiner thinks your a bit wobbly, then you could be required to do some slow riding.

However, I've heard some examiners start the test with slow riding! A bit cruel in my opinion, when in the first few minutes you're a bundle of nerves!
christopherwk

Postby stv » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:00 pm

However, I've heard some examiners start the test with slow riding! A bit cruel in my opinion, when in the first few minutes you're a bundle of nerves!

Took my test at end of november last year. First few minutes would have been preferable for me, by the time examiner asked me to do u-turn and figure of 8 the temperature was dropping rapidly and i was beginning to feel the cold despite being well wrapped up. Made a hash of it but he said had seen that i had no problems at slow speed through town traffic andl passed me, unlike on the DSA test.

I had not been expecting u-turn, observer had not mentioned it at all during my observed runs, so it came as bit of a surprise to have to do them.
stv

Postby SammyTheSnake » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:59 am

Those who've done an AIM or RoSPA (or other similar) test, what kind of slow manoeuvres did you have to do for the test?

Examiners, what might you ask a rider to do?

I've heard mention of full lock figure-8 manoeuvres, which sounds pretty damn difficult, so I might practice some of those in the big car park at my local Tesco. (And hope it doesn't matter too much that my steering stops aren't even owing to a previous owner's argument with the tarmac...)

Cheers & God bless
SammyTheSnake

Postby AlistairL » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:51 am

SammyTheSnake wrote:I've heard mention of full lock figure-8 manoeuvres, which sounds pretty damn difficult, so I might practice some of those in the big car park at my local Tesco. (And hope it doesn't matter too much that my steering stops aren't even owing to a previous owner's argument with the tarmac...)

I think providing you have a car park big enough the full lock comes in time. Before I started the IAM programme I found myself on full lock when practising, which comes naturally with the other tips of posture, gripping the tank, sitting forward, clutch/brake/revs. My own problem is nerves when trying to do things "right" which leads to jerky movements, locked arms, etc etc! :oops:

Regards

Alistair
AlistairL

Postby BillZZR600 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:14 pm

I didn't have to "perform" any slow speed manouvers for my test, but as said before, the examiner is during, looking for smooth machine and control usage at all times, including coming to a halt, and manouvering even if only at either the start or end of the test.

He may well have asked to see some if he thought there was a problem with machine control, so It wouldnt have done me any harm :wink: when arriving for test at the car park aranged to "overshoot the parking bay he was in, slow to a halt, check, U turn and go past again, halt and Dismount and then back it in to the space adjacent and place it on the Centre stand in preparation for displaying my Pre ride checks and starting drill.
Kawasaki ZZR600/Renault Laguna 1.8i
RoADAR Advanced Rider (Gold)
RoADAR Aproved (Motorcycle) Tutor
RoADAR Advanced Driver (Gold)
RoADAR Aproved (Car) Tutor
BillZZR600

Postby christopherwk » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:35 pm

I was recommended to practise three full lock circles (both ways), and figure of eights, then that should be fine.

Also another manoeuvre done by an examiner, was where you have to ride alongside them as they walk, and they change pace (walking slowly and faster) + plus changing direction! This is quite challenging since you're looking straight ahead, and you are looking in your peripheral vision as to how fast they're going, and sometimes they catch you out by rapidly changing direction, and you're going straight on!

Another idea is to practice on a bicycle?! Less damage should you drop it!
christopherwk

Postby rlmr » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:07 pm

christopherwk wrote:...the examiner may not always require you do it. The examiner can see how good your slow riding is during the test by looking at the way you stop at junctions and traffic lights, and if you have control of the bike. If the examiner thinks your a bit wobbly, then you could be required to do some slow riding.

That's the way I treat most candidates :wink: .
Rennie Ritchie
Home Page

IAM Examiner for Cars, Bikes, Lorries and Buses since 1986
rlmr

Postby SammyTheSnake » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:57 am

christopherwk wrote:Another idea is to practice on a bicycle?! Less damage should you drop it!

The problem with the bicycle idea (for me at least) is that I can do things on a bicycle that I couldn't hope to do on a motorbike, like turning with the handle bars past 90 degrees (rear wheel actually going backwards) idling (rocking back and forth using any imperfection in the road surface, or without on a good day, I've even done it no-handed on a couple of occasions) riding extended distances with no hands -including changing gear with feet (frame mounted gear levers) and braking by pressing the rear mudgard into the tyre - for a distance of around 9 miles through leamington, coventry, and the intervening countryside, I even crossed the A45...

I find the hardest thing about controlling the motorbike at low speeds is getting the throttle / clutch / brake all working in unison. On the pedal bike, there was only the pedals and sometimes the brake to worry about.

So practicing for the motorbike is probably best done on a motorbike for me.

It might be worth investing in some cheap bar-ends that you don't mind scratching off, though.

Cheers & God bless
SammyTheSnake

Return to Advanced Motorcycling Forum