Ride Outs?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving. IAM, RoSPA/RoADA, High Performance Course. All associated training. Motorcycle training.

Postby christopherwk » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:44 pm

I've just been looking at the drive outs which looks quite successful, and lookign forward to the one in Berkshire next month.

This leads me on to ride outs? Are there are lot of us riders out there? I'd be interested in joining in :)

Also, group riding - which system is preferred? The drop-off system (where the first and last leaders of the group stay in their positions, the first leader points at a corner, and the person behind the leader stops at the corner, pointing in the direction of where the leader is going, then rejoins the group, before the last person of the group), or everybody keeps and eye on people in their mirrors, and stops if they lose sight?
christopherwk

Postby Nigel » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:56 pm

sounds a good idea......next summer lol
Nigel

Postby rlmr » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:02 pm

Generally folk use their motorcycles during BST, which comes to an end in a couple of weeks :cry: . Whilst I use my bike every month of the year I must be honest and say that late Spring, Summer and Autumn motorcycling are far better biking seasons than winter.

So I will support rideouts, but suggest whilst we can plan now, we should not aim for any earlier than April (to avoid salt/grit roads or even snow!).
Rennie Ritchie
Home Page

IAM Examiner for Cars, Bikes, Lorries and Buses since 1986
rlmr

Postby T.C » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:34 pm

christopherwk wrote:
This leads me on to ride outs? Are there are lot of us riders out there? I'd be interested in joining in :)

Unfortunately, with the exception of the long weekend I organise every year when a crowd of us go over to Assen for the Dutch TT, all my annual leave is spent road testing bikes at various overseas locations or track launches (well someone has to do it :wink: )

So next year looks like being a busy one with trips to the Black Forest, Austria, Italy, Spain and probably Poland and a few other eastern block countries, it won't leave me much time for any rideouts, but if you do any, I hope that you enjoy them.
It is better to arrive 30 seconds late in this world, than 30 years early in the next.
T.C

Postby christopherwk » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:59 am

Oh yeah, I forgot about the weather and all that. I'm so used to driving now - being cocooned, protected from the elements, nice lovely heater etc... plus I haven't been out the bike for a couple of months (which prompted me to start this thread), that I completely forgot about the weather!

Never mind, looking forward to rides next summer, and getting back on two wheels again!
christopherwk

Postby SammyTheSnake » Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:30 am

Nigel wrote:next summer

<cou*wuss*gh>

:D

In all seriousness, though. Although I ride my bike in all weathers (being snowed on on the M6 over the lakes while I lost all sensation in my fingers is a "fond" memory) I certainly prefer to do my "recreational" driving when the weather is cooperative in terms of grip. Autumn is probably worse than winter in that respect because the wetness of the roads is more variable and we have soggy leaves to contend with, too! And twigs blown off the trees as they dry out and the wind gets up...

Cheers & God bless
Sam "SammyTheSnake" Penny
DSA A 2003/08/01 - first go
Zach 2003-2006 - 1995 Diversion 600
DSA B 2007/03/05 - second go
Ninny 2007-2008 - Focus TDDI
Unnamed 2008- Mk3 1.4 Golf
http://www.sampenny.co.uk/
SammyTheSnake

Postby Nigel » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:22 pm

Been there, done all that Sammy, riding back from Germany on leave in snow etc.

I'm older, wiser, and have a car now :D
Nigel

Postby rlmr » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:40 pm

Nigel wrote:I'm older, wiser, and have a car now :D

A sensible attitude and one I use with my biking. Even though I use the bike all year round there are times when the car is better suited.

Whilst I will conduct tests all through the year, all "winter" tests are organised with the understanding that weather / road conditions on the test date may well merit a postponement. Basically I do not want the responsibility of enticing someone out onto two-wheels and finding they have sheet ice to negotiate on their way to the RVP. Similarly I think it make considerably negative publicity for a candidate to be involved in a n"incident" going to/from or during their test. And as mentioned earlier... from a personal point there is no fun in riding in bad conditions and I really prefer to avoid salty roads, for the sake of the longevity of the bike.

Rennie
rlmr

Return to Advanced Motorcycling Forum