Using cycle lanes?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving. IAM, RoSPA/RoADA, High Performance Course. All associated training. Motorcycle training.

Postby rlmr » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:39 am

TripleS wrote:If cycle lanes were to be arranged on a meaningful scale and in a sensible manner, and a sufficient number of cyclists made proper use of them I could see some merit in the system.

At last a post that has got to the truth.
TripleS wrote:Instead of that we seem to have cycle lanes dotted around in short lengths with no continuity, and in many cases hardly anybody uses them anyhow, so it ends up largely a waste of time and effort and money.

...spot on. Token gestures by some local authorities to show they are cycle friendly and following Government Guidelines
TripleS wrote:It looks like a case of going though the motions of being seen to do something, but without actually achieving much that benefits many people.

Sad but true.

Anyway its time for education by example, so we should ALL get out our pedal cycles and be omni-competent using everything from cycles to 44 tonnes trucks. Each road user requires to use the carriageway in a slightly differing manner so we should all understand how the "other half" lives... however as I am not personally objecting to the cycle lanes we have, I'll refrain from dragging the cycle out until the weather gets a wee bit warmer :wink:
Rennie Ritchie
Home Page

IAM Examiner for Cars, Bikes, Lorries and Buses since 1986
rlmr

Postby Big Err » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:38 am

rlmr wrote:Token gestures by some local authorities to show they are cycle friendly and following Government Guidelines

Part true - Millenium cycle ways - 1/4 to 1/2 way through financial year, central government throws large wod of cash at roads authorities for cycle stuff (aren't they nice), then says 'must spend before end of financial year', then at end of financial years says to press 'we gave all the authorities loads of cash, it's their fault they didn't "choose" to spend it.'

So...

With insufficient time to promote traffic orders, organise land take, or design and consult over large 'worthwhile' schemes, most authorities opted for lots of signs and paint.

Sadly this means that wide roads got a cycle lane - where there probably was never a problem to start with, but as soon as you hit a problem area like a junction/ roundabout etc nothing was done because of the time restriction.

Welcome to the world of government funding!
Big Err

Postby rlmr » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:43 am

Eric,

Its nice to know that the games National Government play with Local Government are just variations on a theme depending on which part of the country we are in :wink:

As you say, it gives plenty scope for Officialdom to say that they have done their bit and the problem, if any, lies with another area. Oh its so like my last job :wink:

Rennie
rlmr

Postby AlistairL » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:35 pm

rlmr wrote:Anyway its time for education by example, so we should ALL get out our pedal cycles and be omni-competent using everything from cycles to 44 tonnes trucks. Each road user requires to use the carriageway in a slightly differing manner so we should all understand how the "other half" lives... however as I am not personally objecting to the cycle lanes we have, I'll refrain from dragging the cycle out until the weather gets a wee bit warmer :wink:

With you there - a bit of empathy and understanding. One of the barbers in our village barber shop is a cycling road racer and thinks nothing of a wee bimble from Livingston to St Andrews and back (eek - I view a stroll to the centre of the village as a challenge :wink: ) We had a really enlightening discussion about riding at speed and things like wind noise masking vehicle noises. He explained why you may see some cyclists sweeping their head to try and hear.

The other one you possibly didn't mention was horses - another person who enlightened me a bit was a work colleague who keeps horses locally and does dressage. Apparently motorcyclists are a bit more understanding on the road (or perhaps careful) when around horses - perhaps more aware of their vulnerability. We spoke a bit about the challenges of legislation and instruction for horse riders - comparing training for riding a predictable machine, vs a mode of transport with its own brain.

Alistair.
AlistairL

Postby rlmr » Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:50 pm

Hi Alistair,

I was not meaning to snub the equestrian teams and living where I do we get our fair share of horses & riders on our roads. You are right about (most) motorcyclists giving more respect to horses. Think its a) a kindred spirit & b) the fact that 1 tonne of horse wandering in front of you at anything more than walking pace, is not a nice prospect :oops:

Rennie
rlmr

Postby AlistairL » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:01 pm

rlmr wrote:Hi Alistair,

I was not meaning to snub the equestrian teams and living where I do we get our fair share of horses & riders on our roads. You are right about (most) motorcyclists giving more respect to horses. Think its a) a kindred spirit & b) the fact that 1 tonne of horse wandering in front of you at anything more than walking pace, is not a nice prospect :oops:

Rennie

Right enough - (a) We are all "riders". (b) Primal fear - being sat on (or kicked) by a horse. Although I only have my car and motorcycle licenses, I've always had a "sometime/maybe" list including passing tests for all vehicle classes and learning to ride a horse. Being tall and large would need a big horse :shock:

An admission now, even having grown up in Fife I can't remember if Fife Constabulary had horses - do you know if they did? How does the training compare to vehicles?

Best Regards

Alistair.
AlistairL

Postby rlmr » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:10 pm

AlistairL wrote:An admission now, even having grown up in Fife I can't remember if Fife Constabulary had horses - do you know if they did? How does the training compare to vehicles?

They have used horses on and off through the years but never owned theri own during my 30 yrs. Horses & Uniformed riders usually "imported" from Edinburgh for special events. Sorry I cannot enlighten you on the training but I would imagine it would be a cross between the dog handler's courses and a car drivers course :wink:

Rennie
rlmr

Postby SammyTheSnake » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:03 am

AlistairL wrote:
rlmr wrote: ... motorcyclists giving more respect to horses ...

(a) We are all "riders". (b) Primal fear

Maybe I'm odd, but I'm nice to horse riders because I think it's polite and they're vulnerable, especially as their "wheels" are liable to be startled by a fast loud object suddenly appearing.

I did once turn my engine off and coast past a horse, giving a cheeky salute (at a closing speed of maybe 40, down from the "60" I was doing previously) I got a grin and a wink from a rather nice looking young equestrian for my troubles :D

Cheers & God bless
Sam "SammyTheSnake" Penny
DSA A 2003/08/01 - first go
Zach 2003-2006 - 1995 Diversion 600
DSA B 2007/03/05 - second go
Ninny 2007-2008 - Focus TDDI
Unnamed 2008- Mk3 1.4 Golf
http://www.sampenny.co.uk/
SammyTheSnake

Postby Gareth » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:26 am

SammyTheSnake wrote:I got a grin and a wink from a rather nice looking young equestrian for my troubles :D

And that'll be the reason you continue to do it :wink:
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby AlistairL » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:51 pm

SammyTheSnake wrote:
AlistairL wrote:
rlmr wrote: ... motorcyclists giving more respect to horses ...

(a) We are all "riders". (b) Primal fear

Maybe I'm odd, but I'm nice to horse riders because I think it's polite and they're vulnerable, especially as their "wheels" are liable to be startled by a fast loud object suddenly appearing.

I did once turn my engine off and coast past a horse, giving a cheeky salute (at a closing speed of maybe 40, down from the "60" I was doing previously) I got a grin and a wink from a rather nice looking young equestrian for my troubles :D

The coasting reminded me of the police ghost bike story from London - I don't know if it is an urban myth. :) Bound to be on the internet somewhere.

I've been thinking hard as to why I do what I do in this situation. On approach I will attempt a quick evaluation based on the horse rider, locally I come across more riders in pairs than singly and sometimes this will indicate one is more confident than the other. This is also shown by the wave of thanks back at courtesy shown - again from the more confident rider.

On the motorbike it is easier to see waves, so providing I think I'm in control I'll give a good left hand wave, which has always been reciprocated! I use the nod otherwise, but this is less obvious to other road users. Courtesy is part of my ride, but I think I am primarily responsible for my own safety and that of my passengers and then other road users. With only a year and half back riding I've chosen not to carry pillions so far, so I only have myself to look after in the first instance.

I think I'll re-read the first chapter of Roadcraft :)

All the best

Alistair.
AlistairL

Postby rlmr » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:33 pm

AlistairL wrote:On the motorbike it is easier to see waves, so providing I think I'm in control I'll give a good left hand wave, which has always been reciprocated! I use the nod otherwise, but this is less obvious to other road users. Courtesy is part of my ride, but I think I am primarily responsible for my own safety and that of my passengers and then other road users.

I would agree that other than in the pouring rain :( it is easier to get good all round observations from the bike. Courtesy is also part and parcel of good driving/riding and if you show respect to another road user there is more chance of them repaying this.
AlistairL wrote:With only a year and half back riding I've chosen not to carry pillions so far, so I only have myself to look after in the first instance.

Some folk never take a pillion and still enjoy their biking. However its nice to tour two-up when one has a pillion who knows what its about and has confidence in the rider.
AlistairL wrote:I think I'll re-read the first chapter of Roadcraft :)

OK but remember its a book which should accompany a course of instruction not replace any road work :wink:

Rennie
rlmr

Postby 7db » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:47 pm

7db wrote:If there are cyclists out of the lane, unnecessarily holding up traffic then they can be prosecuted (there was one doing 30-40 on an NSL that I recall who took a fine from magistrates).

I correct myself. He got off on appeal.
http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=4774
7db

Postby Nigel » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:38 am

7db wrote:
7db wrote:If there are cyclists out of the lane, unnecessarily holding up traffic then they can be prosecuted (there was one doing 30-40 on an NSL that I recall who took a fine from magistrates).

I correct myself. He got off on appeal.
http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=4774

thats a shame, taxpayers money spent in everyones best interest (to keep vunerable "Traffic" safe), and they still wander about in the road getting in everyones way.
Nigel

Postby Rik » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:30 pm

I got stopped using a cycle lane some time last month but after a short chat I pointed out that my tax disc stated that my vehicle was a bicycle...
Rik

Postby Gromit37 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:27 pm

May I suggest that some of the comments on here are made by people who don't cycle, and probably haven't cycled for many years. There is a valid comparison between motorists/motorcyclists and cyclists. The majority never go beyond learning the basics, and will often do silly things. There are idiots on all sides, and there are people who take pride in their skill as cyclists, just like those people who take pride in their driving etc. I am one of them. By and large, the cycle paths that I see are poorly designed, badly implemented, and put in place for all the wrong reasons. There is good evidence that rather than making cyclists safer, such schemes are detrimental to cyclists (not to mention to the motorists who pull out of their drives across a cycle path without bothering to look properly :roll: ) .Cyclists, cars and m/cycles can happily exist on the roads, providing ALL road users display some common sense and consideration. But then pigs might fly...
Gromit37

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Motorcycling Forum