"Mind Driving" - Advanced Driving UK's Chosen Refe

Suggestions for site improvements. Forum and Advanced Driving UK announcements such as events, changes to the system and general information people should know about.

Postby Darren » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:10 pm

In continuing its efforts to change the face of road safety in the UK, Advanced Driving UK has selected the new book "Mind Driving" by Stephen Haley as its reference source. Advanced-Driving.co.uk is the UK's largest online Advanced Driving Community, with over 400,000 hits per month. Mind Driving is essential reading for everyone wishing to undertake further or Advanced Driver training recommended by users and contributors on the website.

The book explains that expert drivers use much more than their "hands and feet" skills. Safe driving is actually a 95% thinking task, and is about actively controlling risk. But this is not how new drivers are taught, or how many experienced motorists drive. Too many people see driving as all about car control and fast reactions, rather than the thought processes involved. Safety is ultimately in how we think behind the wheel - which comes well before the "hands and feet" take the actions. This is a radical view of driving in the UK, because major motoring organisations still concentrate on the mechanical activity inside the vehicle - more than on how to make correct decisions first about what to make the vehicle do.

Darren Tipton, Founder of Advanced Driving UK said, "Our mission from Day One has been about doing things differently to help reduce young driver casualties. Adopting Mind Driving as our reference source is a core part of moving in that direction".

Since its launch in the House of Commons last September, the book has received some outstanding reviews in the motoring press. From now on, every new member of Advanced Driving UK has the option to receive a copy of Mind Driving as part of the package aimed at helping them improve their own driving and reduce their crash risk.

Stephen Haley, author of Mind Driving said, "For Advanced Driving UK to adopt Mind Driving is a significant step in the effort to reduce road casualties. Their rapid growth and special focus on young drivers creates an even greater opportunity to make a real difference".
Last edited by Darren on Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darren

Postby ROG » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:09 pm

Is "Mind driving" available at W.H. Smiths?
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby 7db » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:32 pm

No, but it is on Amazon (link here) for £8.57 (plus postage if you don't buy another 6.50 of stuff).
7db

Postby rodericksdad » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:33 pm

Darren is it possible to join and pay with a cheque? if so could you pm me with any details and to whom i should make it payable to,
cheers,
Best regards,Clive.
rodericksdad

Postby ROG » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:15 am

rodericksdad wrote:Darren is it possible to join and pay with a cheque? if so could you pm me with any details and to whom i should make it payable to,
cheers,

To join what?
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby 7db » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:29 am

Darren wrote:Mind Driving is essential reading for everyone wishing to undertake further or Advanced Driver training recommended by users and contributors on the website.

Essential, or just useful?
7db

Postby ScoobyChris » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:56 am

I was lucky enough to be given a copy of this book last month .... just need to make time to get round to reading it!

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby TripleS » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:15 am

7db wrote:
Darren wrote:Mind Driving is essential reading for everyone wishing to undertake further or Advanced Driver training recommended by users and contributors on the website.

Essential, or just useful?

I expect naturally talented drivers with the best possible attitude and skills could manage without it, but I think it is an extremely worthy book - so it should be very useful.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Renny » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:40 pm

ScoobyChris wrote:I was lucky enough to be given a copy of this book last month .... just need to make time to get round to reading it!

Chris

It is worth reading.
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Postby rodericksdad » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:35 pm

ROG wrote:
rodericksdad wrote:Darren is it possible to join and pay with a cheque? if so could you pm me with any details and to whom i should make it payable to,
cheers,

To join what?

I thought that i had to be a member of ADUK,i have been informed that i already am,its the grey matter it was a long day at work, :)
Best regards,Clive.
rodericksdad

Postby Renny » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:29 am

I've just ordered and received another copy of this to give as a present to a 17yo daughter of friends.
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Return to Announcements, Improvements and Forum Help