High Performance / Precision Driving Forum?

Suggestions for site improvements. Forum and Advanced Driving UK announcements such as events, changes to the system and general information people should know about.

Postby Darren » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:02 pm

Am I missing something with "added complexity". Whats complex? Maybe I can reduce it...
Darren

Postby ROG » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:07 pm

Darren wrote:Am I missing something with "added complexity". Whats complex? Maybe I can reduce it...

Is the HPT site free to join? -If yes, then I expect those you are talking about probably discuss the finer points there and if we want to, we could join and look in. If no, then I can see the point in setting one up here.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby ScoobyChris » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:10 pm

Maybe instead of High Performance being measured as "above" IAM/RoSPA, it could be focussed on things such as car control, track driving, evasive driving, etc?

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby Darren » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:35 pm

ROG wrote:Is the HPT site free to join? -If yes, then I expect those you are talking about probably discuss the finer points there and if we want to, we could join and look in. If no, then I can see the point in setting one up here.

No you need to be a HPC member to have access to the HPC forum.
Darren

Postby TripleS » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:50 pm

Darren wrote:Am I missing something with "added complexity". Whats complex? Maybe I can reduce it...

Perhaps 'added complexity' was not the right term, but I'd rather the site remained fairly simple and straightforward without too wide a range of forums.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby ROG » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:01 pm

Darren wrote:
ROG wrote:Is the HPT site free to join? -If yes, then I expect those you are talking about probably discuss the finer points there and if we want to, we could join and look in. If no, then I can see the point in setting one up here.

No you need to be a HPC member to have access to the HPC forum.

In that case, I can see a case for one BUT if the 'finer' points need discussing they are usually introduced by those 'in the know' in the relevant posts.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby James » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:23 pm

I agree with ROG, I would not want to alienate members or create the possibility of a virtual hierarchy, if that makes sense :)
James

Postby Darren » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:37 pm

James wrote:I agree with ROG, I would not want to alienate members or create the possibility of a virtual hierarchy, if that makes sense :)

By the nature of driving, training, tuition there is already a virtual hierarchy in place. We already have it by having a "learner" forum.
Darren

Postby Standard Dave » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:26 pm

Darren wrote:
James wrote:I agree with ROG, I would not want to alienate members or create the possibility of a virtual hierarchy, if that makes sense :)

By the nature of driving, training, tuition there is already a virtual hierarchy in place. We already have it by having a "learner" forum.

And also by the nature that some Emergency service staff, Driving instructors, HPC - IAM - ROSPA etc members train to do or talk about things that others cannot do.

I think everyone is aware that some individuals and organisations are operating to a higher standard that others.
Standard Dave

Postby ROG » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:33 pm

Standard Dave wrote:
Darren wrote:

And also by the nature that some Emergency service staff, Driving instructors, HPC - IAM - ROSPA etc members train to do or talk about things that others cannot do.

I think everyone is aware that some individuals and organisations are operating to a higher standard that others.

The only personal point that I would like to bring up is this.......
If I am being given advice by another, I like to know the 'credentials' of who is giving that advice. I do however, realise that for some on this site, that might not be prudent.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Red Herring » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:06 pm

Why do you need to know their credentials Roger. Surely you can consider what an individual has to say and form a view from that. As Advanced drivers I would like to think we are all beyond doing things just because someone says so. I know I'm pretty obstinate sometimes but I've seen some very convincing argument since visiting this Forum and I have no problem with trying some of the suggestions out, whoever made them, and discarding a fair few of the others.
Red Herring

Postby ROG » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:10 pm

Perhaps I should have said "where they are coming from".

If I was to have an opinion on high speed persuit driving then it would not mean much as I do not do it but an opinion from an advanced police traffic officer would - if you get my drift.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Gareth » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:27 pm

I can see the problem - that in what might start out as a discussion within the confines of what the IAM and RoADAR promote as Advanced Driving, someone with other experience may mention something that doesn't easily fit that definition leading to confusion by some readers.

This highlights why providing a separate forum is tricky - virtually none of the discussions that have included points beyond the IAM/RoADAR syllabus have set out to raise those points.

I'm guessing the most likely result of adding the proposed new forum is that it would, in general, carry a low volume of postings, and in addition the moderators would have a chunk of extra work in splitting out sections of threads that discussed points beyond the standard Advanced driving and moving them into the new forum, but this would lead to discontinuities in the original threads.

If a new forum is to be added, then I think some very clear guidelines will be needed to specify what is appropriate in the normal advanced versus what is better placed in the other advanced. I see the split between learner and advanced as a more natural split since there is a clear stage which goes in-between.

Overall I'm not in favour of adding a new forum.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby ipsg.glf » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:48 pm

In the same way as we do not see Police Driving Instructors giving detailed explanations of the various levels that they teach to, we should not have other people (no matter what organisation they claim - either overtly or discreetly - to represent) doing the same. Especially when the vast majority of them do not have formal teaching qualifications.
ipsg.glf

Postby Red Herring » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:29 am

ipsg.glf wrote:In the same way as we do not see Police Driving Instructors giving detailed explanations of the various levels that they teach to, we should not have other people (no matter what organisation they claim - either overtly or discreetly - to represent) doing the same. Especially when the vast majority of them do not have formal teaching qualifications.

I'm a little confused here. What exactly is the purpose of this forum if it is not for persons of different abilities and experiences to share and learn with others through discussion. For example an advanced police pursuit driver may be very skilled in certain aspects of driving, and they may be able to offer some tips on dealing with traffic hazards, but they can also appreciate the views from a civilian driver with regard to "normal driving" and how the public percieve police behaviour. Does someone need to be "qualified" before offering advice or a view. A Forum is only a discussion tool, not an instruction manual.
Red Herring

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements, Improvements and Forum Help