Test

Suggestions for site improvements. Forum and Advanced Driving UK announcements such as events, changes to the system and general information people should know about.

Postby 7db » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:11 pm

Test - having trouble posting from FF
7db

Postby 7db » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:15 pm

I can't post in the "defensive lines" thread, but I can post here, it seems
7db

Postby 7db » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:15 pm

Clive has rallying experience. Maybe he'll be along to post soon. Thing is when you are rallying you do crash. How many times are you hoping to crash on the road?

If you think it's icy and you might run out of road then go slower. If you're not sure, then go slower. Particularly at corner entry point, where you can elect to go faster later-on if it should turn out to be nice and grippy after all.

If you rely on there being full grip all the way round a possibly icy corner, then sooner or later you are going to fall-off.

If you think it's icy, and the vision and circumstances allow the corner to be cut, then you can turn-in earlier to feel whether the car is responding -- whilst there is still time to lose more speed if it doesn't. Ideally you will be asking the minimum cornering radius from the tyres at the point where you are going slowest so that grip required is held. On ice, everything should be more smooth so that grip can build up smoothly to the limit.

But I then think Mark et al have more ice experience than I do!
7db

Postby ROG » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:27 pm

7db wrote:I can't post in the "defensive lines" thread, but I can post here, it seems

your TEST is in the "defensive lines" thread :)
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Darren » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:11 pm

7db wrote:Clive has rallying experience. Maybe he'll be along to post soon. Thing is when you are rallying you do crash. How many times are you hoping to crash on the road?

If you think it's icy and you might run out of road then go slower. If you're not sure, then go slower. Particularly at corner entry point, where you can elect to go faster later-on if it should turn out to be nice and grippy after all.

If you rely on there being full grip all the way round a possibly icy corner, then sooner or later you are going to fall-off.

If you think it's icy, and the vision and circumstances allow the corner to be cut, then you can turn-in earlier to feel whether the car is responding -- whilst there is still time to lose more speed if it doesn't. Ideally you will be asking the minimum cornering radius from the tyres at the point where you are going slowest so that grip required is held. On ice, everything should be more smooth so that grip can build up smoothly to the limit.

But I then think Mark et al have more ice experience than I do!

DB, there doesn't seem to be any particular issue with the site at the moment unless there was a momentary outage this aft. You might want to try reposting this.
Darren

Postby 7db » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:50 pm

Tried a few times but no joy. Will try off my other ISP tomorrow. Something odd going on. I suspect Tiscali are to blame.
7db

Postby martine » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:33 am

7db wrote:I suspect Tiscali are to blame.

They normally are! :evil:
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Return to Announcements, Improvements and Forum Help