Forum upgrade

Suggestions for site improvements. Forum and Advanced Driving UK announcements such as events, changes to the system and general information people should know about.

Postby Darren » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:16 am

For info, sometime over the weekend I intend to do a complete update of the forum. This will result in some downtime, but hopefully there will be a whole host of new features afterwards to make life easier for all.

For this reason, we will disable the board so posting will not be allowed during the update to maintain a stable database until complete. It will be obvious when this happens :-)

Apologies for any inconvenience.
Darren

Postby admin » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:56 pm

Forum now updated. We've moved up to PHPBB3 finally, all has gone reasonably smoothly. I'm still playing with the templating and layout but generally looks ok so far.
admin
Site Admin

Postby ROG » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:19 pm

test

OH - this BBcode does not work.........

EDIT - OH - now it does :D :D :D
Last edited by ROG on Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Darren » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:23 pm

It does now.... :D
Darren

Postby MikeG » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:00 pm

Thought I'd come to the wrong place at first. :lol: Looks good, just need to fathom out how to use all the new features.
Thanks Darren.

Mike
At the end of the day even when you have tried to plan for every eventuality the unexpected can happen.
MikeG

Postby crr003 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:05 pm

Is there a way to put the name/avatar block on the right back to on the left?
crr003

Postby Darren » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:11 pm

Not without me re-coding the template which I dont have time to do right now.
Darren

Postby crr003 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:29 pm

Darren wrote:Not without me re-coding the template which I dont have time to do right now.

That's OK - I thought there might have been a setting I was not seeing!
crr003

Postby TripleS » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:30 pm

I used to make regular use of the "new posts since your last visit" feature, and that now seems to have gone and been replaced by "active topics". It is what they now seem to do on the SafeSpeed site, and to me this is a backards step. Sorry Darren.

I found the "what's new since your last visit" sort of thing very helpful.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby ROG » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:57 pm

TripleS wrote:I used to make regular use of the "new posts since your last visit" feature, and that now seems to have gone and been replaced by "active topics". It is what they now seem to do on the SafeSpeed site, and to me this is a backards step. Sorry Darren.

Best wishes all,
Dave.

View unanswered posts • View new posts • View active topics

on the board index page :wink:
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby ROG » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:04 pm

MikeG wrote:Thought I'd come to the wrong place at first. :lol: Looks good, just need to fathom out how to use all the new features.
Thanks Darren.

Mike

The site I use most www.trucknetuk.com has just moved to this BB3 board and it took me a week to fathom most of it out.

Their board and this one have differences and it seems to me that each is trying to figure out what the other already has done - I'm guessing that it is down to the individual skills and knowledge of the programmers.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Darren » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:09 pm

The code in here is standard. I've got a software background so most updates are reasonably painless. However, I've recoding the RSS feed output by hand today to support the new database structure.

If anyone finds anything else that needs adding, please let me know. i'll try to make it as friendly as possible (within reason).
Darren

Postby waremark » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:56 pm

ROG wrote:
TripleS wrote:I used to make regular use of the "new posts since your last visit" feature, and that now seems to have gone and been replaced by "active topics". It is what they now seem to do on the SafeSpeed site, and to me this is a backards step. Sorry Darren.

Best wishes all,
Dave.

View unanswered posts • View new posts • View active topics

on the board index page :wink:

Yes, but it used to be at the top of every page. Ideally, can it be put back on every page, but at the bottom would be better?

For some reason it did not work effectlively when I was browsing with the iPhone - it kept thinking that a session had ended and a new one started so that there were no entries left on the 'new since last visit' list. I expect this will still be the case. Is there a solution?

Can someone highlight some of the new features to us please?
waremark

Postby Darren » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:01 pm

The main changes between v2.x.x and V3.x.x are list at the link below. There are alot of user enhancements, more customised (I'll look at putting the "new posts" at the top of each page), better mod / admin functionality to make maintenance easier.

http://www.phpbb.com/about/features/
Darren

Postby waremark » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:20 pm

Can someone explain what the icons at the left side of the topic lists show. On what were previously called 'stickies' what does the star mean? And what does it mean when the image of a document is scrolling?

I gather that the icon is in red when there is a new post since my last visit.

I appreciate the addition of 'first unread post' at the top of each thread.
waremark

Next

Return to Announcements, Improvements and Forum Help