Marking as read - automatically?

Suggestions for site improvements. Forum and Advanced Driving UK announcements such as events, changes to the system and general information people should know about.

Postby jasonh » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:22 pm

Am I right in thinking the board used to automatically mark things as read when you logged out - i.e. when I used to log back in I'm sure only posts that were new since my last login were marked as new, regardless of whether I'd read the others. I quite liked this but it seems to have changed with the upgrade. Is there a setting I can alter to bring this back or would it have to be a global change, and would anyone object to that? It was quicker than having to mark as read the threads I wasn't reading.
IAM April 2008
jasonh

Postby Gareth » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:25 pm

I think there are two things at play. The first is "view new posts", which shows all posts that have been added since you last logged in. Separate to that there appears to be a record of which posts you've opened, (although that will actually be 'pages' in the thread). So if you always use the "view new posts" link, then your reading behaviour can continue in the fashion you desire as long as you ignore the normal forum view when it shows threads with unread pages.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby brianhaddon » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:00 pm

I notice that if you read a 'new' post that has multiple pages on the thread by looking at any page but the last then it remains as new the next time you log in. If you look at the last page it does not show as new next time.

I like the way the forum now works as I used to miss many posts before when I was timed out before reading all new posts.

Regards
Brian Haddon
brianhaddon

Return to Announcements, Improvements and Forum Help