Forum update 3.0.5 to 3.0.6

Suggestions for site improvements. Forum and Advanced Driving UK announcements such as events, changes to the system and general information people should know about.

Postby Darren » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:11 am

Had a bit of a troubled forum update this morning - bad move before deciding to go to work, but now seems to be ok.
Please let me know if you see any issues.
Darren

Postby Darren » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:38 pm

Apologies to anyone trying to sign up. There's been a few teething troubles after the update.

Partly due to custom modifications I made to the code in the previous release, which I did not put back into the new release. However, the modifications I made previously have almost completely stopped any phantom account creation and spam, so on balance I think worth while.

Hope all is now ok, please do PM or email (contact link top of page) if not so I can look at any outstanding problems.
Darren

Postby Gareth » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:04 pm

There's a minor behavioural difference that may or may not be significant in other ways ...

The 'View New Posts' link used to show all threads that had changed since you'd logged in, with a red icon if the threads contained unread messages, and a black/grey icon for threads that had been read.

Now the link only shows threads that contain unread messages, that is, only where the red icon would be applicable.

I prefer the previous behaviour.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Darren » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:01 pm

Thanks for this Gareth, will look into it. I've gone through all the release notes etc and can't see any changes mentioned that should invoke this behaviour. Might have to do a code compare between a few modules and see what I can find.
Darren

Postby crr003 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:59 pm

If I quote a post and then try and add my comments, I can't seem to move freely around the text box - when I cursor down to the bottom of the box it wants to somehow bounce back up a few lines.

English comprehension and prose has never been a strong point........ :cry:
crr003

Postby Darren » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:11 pm

crr003 wrote:If I quote a post and then try and add my comments, I can't seem to move freely around the text box - when I cursor down to the bottom of the box it wants to somehow bounce back up a few lines.

Could that be a browser issue, I'm replying to your post here and don't see any issues moving the cursor around the text box.
Darren

Postby crr003 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:14 pm

Darren wrote:
crr003 wrote:If I quote a post and then try and add my comments, I can't seem to move freely around the text box - when I cursor down to the bottom of the box it wants to somehow bounce back up a few lines.

Could that be a browser issue, I'm replying to your post here and don't see any issues moving the cursor around the text box.

If I try and add about 20 lines to this reply, the blue slider bar thing on the right of the text box starts to "self centre" itself, so it moves back up and I can't see what I've written!
And if I try and select a block of text by dragging down, the slider bar doesn't slide down, it sort of "wobbles" around the position it's in.

Never seen this before.
crr003

Postby Darren » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:25 pm

crr003 wrote:If I try and add about 20 lines to this reply, the blue slider bar thing on the right of the text box starts to "self centre" itself, so it moves back up and I can't see what I've written!
And if I try and select a block of text by dragging down, the slider bar doesn't slide down, it sort of "wobbles" around the position it's in.

Never seen this before.

You must be using Internet Explorer 8 :-)
Firefox works fine, IE7 works fine. There is a confirmed bug in the IE8 browser.

http://www.phpbb.com/bugs/phpbb3/ticket.php?ticket_id=43305

I have added the line below to the template code to force IE8 to use IE7 compatibility mode. This fix's the issue (temporarily) until Microsoft can fix the bug in IE8. Works as it should on my IE8 with this modification to the forum.

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE7" />

Interestingly, the IAM Forum suffers from this same bug.

BR
Darren
Darren

Postby crr003 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:14 pm

Darren wrote:You must be using Internet Explorer 8 :-)
Firefox works fine, IE7 works fine. There is a confirmed bug in the IE8 browser.

This fix's the issue (temporarily) until Microsoft can fix the bug in IE8. Works as it should on my IE8 with this modification to the forum.

Yes to IE 8 :evil:
Your mod works for me thanks!
crr003

Postby Gareth » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:16 pm

Darren wrote:Thanks for this Gareth, will look into it. I've gone through all the release notes etc and can't see any changes mentioned that should invoke this behaviour. Might have to do a code compare between a few modules and see what I can find.

I see there are now links for "View unread posts" and "View new posts" with the differences being subtle, and the latter appears to do what I remembered. Is there any need for the former?
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Darren » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:29 pm

The view unread posts and view new post links are not linked to the forum update, I added them to the template. But I can remove the "unread posts" link if we think it's redundant.
Darren

Postby ROG » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:31 am

Darren wrote: But I can remove the "unread posts" link if we think it's redundant.

I never use that facility
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Return to Announcements, Improvements and Forum Help