Getting Young Drivers into Advanced Driving

Suggestions for site improvements. Forum and Advanced Driving UK announcements such as events, changes to the system and general information people should know about.

Postby Darren » Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:45 pm

Today (Monday 3rd April 2006) there is a news report from the BBC once again highlighting the need for further training of younger drivers due to casualties involving young people. Teenage driver deaths on the rise - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4871854.stm

The IAM have, in the past tried to counter this by starting Max Driver in conjunction with Max Driver magazine. This, unfortunately was not hugely successful.

We have recently been told of the benefits of advanced driving, by a study undertaken by Brunel University - http://www.advanced-driving.co.uk/bb/vi ... php?p=2655

I would like to start a brainstorming campaign to find answers to this age old question of how we get younger people to understand and change attitudes. I know Dr. Lisa Dorn of Cranfield University has been working on techniques such as the Driver Risk Index for the last 20 or so years.

To me, it's blatently obvious something needs to be done. I've started a campaign on the BBC RoadSafety Website highlighting this issue, to attempt to use this website and the BBC to come up with ideas on how to tackle the problem. I have some, but would like to hear yours too.

If you are in an IAM or RoSPA Group we would very much like you to forward this article for publication in your news letter.

BBC Action Network Road Safety Page: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/actionnetwork/C2377 please give this campaign your support, get your groups, your group members to support it.... !
Campaign Page: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/actionnetwork/G1725
Last edited by Darren on Mon May 29, 2006 10:04 am, edited 8 times in total.
Darren

Postby Lynne » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:07 pm

Heard this on the news today also.

Have voted. Report not on the AA Motoring Trust website yet.

Lynne
ADI
RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Driving Instruction

Thankyou for being courteous to horses and riders :)
Lynne

Postby JamesH » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:01 pm

Have signed up! Sounds interesting - will be able to write up my thoughts of IAM vs RoADAR vs HPC then! ;-)
JamesH

Postby Rick » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:15 pm

I'll look forward to reading that James.
Rick

Postby kevdyas » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:17 pm

I'm signing up now but the BBC site is very slowwww! :x

Is the HPC assessment free?

Kevin
DSA Approved Driving Instructor (Car)
Pass Plus & IAM Registered Instructor | RoSPA RoADAR Gold | DIAmond Advanced Motorist
A2OM BTEC in Driving Science affiliated ADI
kevdyas

Postby christopherwk » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:23 pm

I'm 21 years old, I work as a courier in a van, and looking forward to doing the IAM commercial vehicle test.

I think it's down to the person's character as to how they drive. Most young people, seem to think they're immortal, and nothing can stop them (16 year olds on scooters?!), but they are plenty of sensible ones around also.
christopherwk

Postby LEF » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:55 pm

Darren wrote:
If you are in an IAM or RoSPA Group we would very much like you to forward this article for publication in your news letter, the perma link for this article is http://www.advanced-driving.co.uk/bb/article271.php

I clicked on that link but it didn't open an article, all it did was open a new window with the same forum page on it :? :? I don't have an email contact for our group so i was going to print the article out and take it along next time i'm there.
LEF

Postby jibberjabber25 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:40 am

LEF wrote:I clicked on that link but it didn't open an article, all it did was open a new window with the same forum page on it :? :? I don't have an email contact for our group so i was going to print the article out and take it along next time i'm there.

LEF, it's not just you, I get the same problem...It's the link that's the problem...

Methinks Darren needs a kick up the *%&£&!#$!!! :shock: :lol:
IAM Qualified Observer
jibberjabber25

Postby Darren » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:37 am

jibberjabber25 wrote:
LEF wrote:I clicked on that link but it didn't open an article, all it did was open a new window with the same forum page on it :? :? I don't have an email contact for our group so i was going to print the article out and take it along next time i'm there.

LEF, it's not just you, I get the same problem...It's the link that's the problem...

Methinks Darren needs a kick up the *%&£&!#$!!! :shock: :lol:

The link posted is basically a search engine and user friendly version of the real link, which includes variables to the bb post. It's supposed to open the bb thread, I've given it that type of link so if people wish to reference the thread, they use that link rather than a non-search engine friendly one, which wouldnt do as well in indexing.
Darren

Postby Nigel » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:28 am

Along with my group ( Worcestershire) I'm doing one locally where we are giving a three session theory course, written test, assessment drive ( marked) and then the best three get a free IAM course, when they have passed that, they get a free go on the west mercia skidpan.

From my experiences so far, we will struggle to get them interested.

From the input from the Chelmsford group, even when you do everything for free, they still don't want to know.

I'm afraid its going to take government action ( in my opinion), it looks like we need some sort of compulsion, a bit like there is with bikes.
Nigel

Postby Darren » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:30 pm

Quick update. I had an email from the BBC about the campaign addition.

The campaign is also listed on the BBC Action Network homepage as "Todays Choices" at http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/actionnetwork/
Darren

Postby PeteG » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:51 pm

Nigel wrote:Along with my group ( Worcestershire) I'm doing one locally where we are giving a three session theory course, written test, assessment drive ( marked) and then the best three get a free IAM course, when they have passed that, they get a free go on the west mercia skidpan.

That's the kind of thing that interests me (as a young'un), sadly I'm a tad distant...
PeteG

Postby CDAWG » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:06 pm

How many people are involved in advanced driving anyway? I bet it is very few.

Getting anyone involved is difficult, and getting young people involved is probably just a lost cause.
CDAWG

Postby martine » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:27 pm

CDAWG wrote:How many people are involved in advanced driving anyway? I bet it is very few.

Getting anyone involved is difficult, and getting young people involved is probably just a lost cause.

Yes you're right - the IAM has a membership of c.120,000 and I guess many more lapsed members but even so it's a tiny minority of the drivers in the UK.

I don't know the best way to attract younger drivers...either make it fun or offer real, significant insurance discounts perhaps. You'd think that would happen anyway if advanced training is as effective as is claimed...or is it just the insurance companies not being very dynamic? If someone like DirectLine or Tesco showed the lead they could turn it into a real campaign and get excellent media/marketing coverage from it.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby CDAWG » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:58 pm

martine wrote:
CDAWG wrote:How many people are involved in advanced driving anyway? I bet it is very few.

Yes you're right - the IAM has a membership of c.120,000 and I guess many more lapsed members but even so it's a tiny minority of the drivers in the UK.

I don't know the best way to attract younger drivers...either make it fun or offer real, significant insurance discounts perhaps. You'd think that would happen anyway if advanced training is as effective as is claimed...or is it just the insurance companies not being very dynamic? If someone like DirectLine or Tesco showed the lead they could turn it into a real campaign and get excellent media/marketing coverage from it.

Insurance companies have to be the biggest problem. I think insurance companies are only concerned about money.

Also insurance companies don't like any driver training at all. Insurance also seems to be in favor of the dumbing down of driving.

Chris
CDAWG

Next

Return to Announcements, Improvements and Forum Help