Server Move Friday 17th Sept

Suggestions for site improvements. Forum and Advanced Driving UK announcements such as events, changes to the system and general information people should know about.

Postby Darren » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:40 am

Hello All

Small announcement that you may notice some downtime and interruption from Friday 17th Sept and over the weekend. The website and associated accounts / domains are being moved to a physically different server with higher transfer and better performance.

As the site is moving to a new location, I expect there may be some strange effects with the software and some tweaks will need to be made over the weekend.

Apologies for any inconvenience, on the whole the site should be faster as well as allowing for growth in the future.

Darren
Darren

Postby Darren » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:21 pm

ok all, there has been some disruption today due to DNS changes also, when everything was transferred I had to make some changes (nothing worked!). Anyway, all back up and running and on the new box.

Please let me know PM or post in this thread if you spot anything that doesn't work. I know there will definitely be some things (such as the "join" link above as the new box doesn't have some software I used - so for now will have to remove it until I figure out a way to fix it).
Darren

Postby TripleS » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:53 pm

Thanks for all that, Darren. I don't really understand computers, so I just bumble about doing the simple stuff with them. :oops:

One thing I would prefer is to have times shown on the 24 hour clock basis, e.g. 1628 rather than 4:28 pm. It's a minor detail, and maybe not of interest to anybody else anyhow, even if it can be done.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby jont » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:58 pm

The old /bb redirect to /forum has stopped working. Yes, I ought to update my bookmarks, but not sure if that will affect the SEO score if the redirect goes away?
jont

Postby TripleS » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:20 pm

"Error 404" is what I now get when I try to use my usual bookmark for ADUK.

I now have to click on "forum" to get to where I want to be.

Having clicked on "forum" and successfully accessed the forums, I tried bookmarking that, and going out then coming back in using that new bookmark, but it still didn't get me in as before.

There, I told you. I'm really am a computer numpty on a grand scale! :(

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Darren » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:22 pm

Could your bookmark have been linked to http://www.advanced-driving.co.uk/bb/ rather than /forum?

I changed some files to get a "back to basics setup" given nothing worked after the transfer so this could be the problem.

I changed the setup some time ago from /bb to /forum but put in place specific redirects (quite some time ago now) to ensure people using the old address didn't have problems, but I did post at the time to mention that the forum address had changed. As I've moved to a new server its a good time to have a clear out, so may not be a good idea to put all the old redirects back in.
Darren

Postby TripleS » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:12 am

Thanks for your reply, Darren.

I deleted my existing bookmark, went to Google and put in 'advanced-driving forum', and when that came up with the forum home page I made that my new bookmark; so I now seem to be back in business - until I foul something else up.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Renny » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:32 am

Hi darren,

the links from http://www.advanced-driving.co.uk/driver-network/ do not work as they seem to be pointing to the http://www.advanced-driving.co.uk/bb..... url

Regards, Renny
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Postby Darren » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:16 pm

Thanks Renny, I'm doing a link check now and updating broken links in the main site as I find them.
Darren

Postby jont » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:54 pm

Are new member activation emails working? A friend tried to sign up a couple of nights ago but hasn't had the email to activate the account.
jont

Postby Darren » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:23 pm

I did setup a couple of test accounts after the move and it seemed to work ok. The forum has gone back to the standard PHPBB signup now as the software used on the previous server isn't supported on the new server, so it seemed like the easiest solution. If you want to put your friend in direct contact with me, I'll look into it.
Darren

Postby jont » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:26 pm

Appears to now be sorted as the email has appeared, so don't know where the problem was. :?
jont

Return to Announcements, Improvements and Forum Help